Thread: Narrow guage question

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Narrow guage question

A couple of week ago I got to ride the DSNGRR. Where the the narrow guage 2-8-2's built from the standard guage engines or made for narrow guage. Did they spread the frames to put the drive wheels inside of the frame or made that way?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oldscout For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have often wondered this regarding other locomotive types or railroads. So I did some digging...

From SteamLocomotive.com: http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mikado/?page=drgw

The Denver and Rio Grande (predecessor of the DSNGRR) early narrow gauge 2-8-2 Mikado type locomotives - "The simple two cylinder locomotives had 40" diameter drivers, 17" x 22" cylinders, a 200 psi boiler pressure and they exerted 27,022 pounds of tractive effort. The firebox was 113 square feet and the evaporative heating surface was 2149.

Later, the D&RG RR ran standard gauge Mikados with " 63" diameter drivers, 27" x 30" cylinders, a 200 psi boiler pressure and they exerted 59,014 pounds of tractive effort. The firebox was 335 square feet, the evaporative heating surface was 3,700 square feet and with the superheater the combined heating surface was 4,495 square feet."

So it would appear that they are different beasts... but I am not an expert.... Anyone else more enlightened?
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,884 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weren't the K-35s a standard gauge engine?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boilers from standard gauge engines were re-used on narrow-gauge frames on some classes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%26RGW_K-37

And be aware that the same railroad had standard-gauge and narrow-gauge divisions in Colorado. D&RG and D&RGW
    Randgust N scale kits web page at www.randgust.com

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randgust For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Due to the recent Nn3 forum add, I am resurrecting a few topics that have been forgotten.

In reference to the OP, I would "assume" that each narrow gauge road had unique requirements. Having perused some old steam locomotive catalogs, I can say there were quite a few products available to suit various needs. If you were in the market for a locomotive, narrow gauged or not, you could look at several manufacturers offerings to find a suitable product.
    @randgust, you seem more informed on this topic. Your response was that they re-used the boilers. Can I assume then that the drivers and cylinders were rebuilt during the conversion? Or am I confusing other later Mikados specs?

My interest is for other types of locomotives. If one railroad re-gauged their fleet, perhaps others did as well. I have seen tourist narrow gauge 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 tank engines, think goat or docksider. I have been looking to put a marklin chassis under a standard gauge model. (for loco bigger than a teakettle...) How prototypical would this have been? Or would these have been smaller locomotives, than standard gauge, from their initial catalog purchase?

Anyone?

Thanks!
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post: