Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default N scale and RailPro

On Saturday, I sent the folks at RailPro an e-mail asking them to someday produce a locomotive module for N scale.

Not only was I delighted by their fast reply, what they said delighted me too.

Hi Paul,

We made a note that you are interested in RailPro for N scale. We do plan to work on an N scale loco module at some point. We do believe the technology exists today to do it. However, it will be a significant redesign compared to our HO size module. Since we can use our HO technology as in larger than HO scale modules our current plan is to build them first. They should not take long to develop. Then work on an N scale one. We like to hear comments from fellow model railroaders. Our customers comments do affect the products that we build. We added your name to our email list so you can be aware when we release new products.
    So, it's more a matter of "when" than "if". Looks as if I need to get a RailPro starter set in preparation for the day.

In case you're not familiar with RailPro, check out RailPro or the Unofficial RailPro User Group. It's not DCC; it's straight, constant-voltage DC with a module in each locomotive. Duplex communication between the control unit and the module in each locomotive is via 2.4GHz RF.

If you can use a smart phone to make a call or send a text, then you can use RailPro. Best of all there are no CVs, no speed matching or speed tables, just easy setup, simple to use sound and easy consisting. This is the way to go.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's actually listed in their FAQ section. I emailed them as well. I wish everyone would. If they knew there was a market maybe they'd get off their butt and pursue it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puros_bran For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,313 Times in 3,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone made a thread about this last year some time, I exchanged a few emails with the guys there. It's a very very cool product!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked them if they had any short term plans to release a product.. I would love MicroPro (or whatever they'd call it) but I'm about to give up and go DCC. DC has been fun but I have a burning need to hear a horn in the tunnel and have ditch lights alternating at my single crossing. Lol

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puros_bran For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,313 Times in 3,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I don't think we're going to see it's adoption in N scale for many years sadly. With HO and bigger they have just a standard plug-in module. N is still behind in that we don't have a standard plug type between brands, and many locos can barely fit a circuit-board thin decoder, some still need fussy installation. N isn't even at universal plug and play for decoders yet, let alone railpro.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Railpro pretty much beats DCC in all areas except for one thing: Market Adoption. There's pretty much no way, even if Ring Engineering made a Computer Interface and N scale sized products, that people who are thousands of dollars invested in DCC are going to make a switch anytime soon.

As such, I honestly don't think RailPro has a chance against DCC, even though (imho) Railpro is vastly superior.

Too bad.
    -Dave L

My simple site: http://therustyspike.com
    Join the discussion about our wonderful hobby: http://modelrailradio.com/
    Also listen to: The Model Railcast Show and The MRH Podcast

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Puros_bran View Post
    It's actually listed in their FAQ section. I emailed them as well. I wish everyone would. If they knew there was a market maybe they'd get off their butt and pursue it.
    Sorry can not help, I like my CVP EasyDCC system would not trade it. Simple easy to use.
    Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
    ------------------------------------
    Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
    My TT Scale Modeling Blog
    FSL User Forum

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1977 View Post
    Railpro pretty much beats DCC in all areas except for one thing: Market Adoption. There's pretty much no way, even if Ring Engineering made a Computer Interface and N scale sized products, that people who are thousands of dollars invested in DCC are going to make a switch anytime soon.

As such, I honestly don't think RailPro has a chance against DCC, even though (imho) Railpro is vastly superior.

Too bad.
    Looks like we must continue eating GMO

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icon6

I have not decided on a route dc, dcc and even considering RailPRo; since I have no investment in DCC. I emailed them recently and here is what they said:

Hi Austin,
    We have been told that many of our customers are currently using RailPro in N scale applications. Our current LM-3 (basically designed for HO) can fit in the tender of larger N steam locos. We have others tell us that that link two diesel locos together (one dummy and one powered) and put the LM-3 module in the dummy unit and run wires to the powered unit. We have also been told that some people have put the module in a box car that is wired to the loco.

We do plan at some point to see how practical a N scale loco module is. We think it is practical. However, we do plan to make larger gauge modules first because we can use our existing Radio technology in them without change. We already have a note that you are interested in RailPro N scale module. Our customers comments do affect the products that we build.

Thank you for contacting Ring Engineering!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OZMAN559LA View Post
    . . . We do plan at some point to see how practical a N scale loco module is. We think it is practical. However, we do plan to make larger gauge modules first because we can use our existing Radio technology in them without change. We already have a note that you are interested in RailPro N scale module. Our customers comments do affect the products that we build.
    That's kind of exactly what Ring said two years ago when Paul began this thread (plus seven months since Oz' post!). The Ring site doesn't even mention any scale (I guess they assume EVERYONE models in H0). They're simply trying to avoid voicing any negative marketing messages for smaller-scale modelers. If waiting for Ring to develop N-scale products, that may be quite a long wait (I wouldn't hold my breath).

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation by RailController

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Metrolink For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I called Tim a few years ago and had a surprisingly long chat about RailPro, DCC, etc. I shared my opinion that If RailPro truly wants to compete, it needs to be 'backwards' compatible with DCC and they need a computer interface so JMRI becomes a possibility.

Fast forward a bit and, tah dah, they come out with their Gen3 decoders which are DCC compatible AND they have an inexpensive computer interface.

Making something smaller is much harder than making it bigger, but Ring has surprised me in the past by releasing exactly what I asked for. So there's plenty of hope!
    -Dave L

My simple site: http://therustyspike.com
    Join the discussion about our wonderful hobby: http://modelrailradio.com/
    Also listen to: The Model Railcast Show and The MRH Podcast

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Claymore1977 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am now looking at this , trying to see more reviews on these before I jump in.

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/digita...ol/cabcontrol/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to OZMAN559LA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this at a train show and played with it briefly. Very nice! The throttle is like a cell phone on steroids.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OZMAN559LA View Post
    I am now looking at this , trying to see more reviews on these before I jump in.

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/digita...ol/cabcontrol/

http://www.esu.eu/uploads/pics/title...Control_01.jpg
    Yes, it may just have jumped into first place ahead of NCE as the contender if l stay with DCC (barring Ring's entry into N scale). I like the combo of a tactile knob and screen. And it's ESU. ...