Thanks
    Thanked 9,313 Times in 3,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FPM_Michael View Post
    Ok gang. Take a gander at this.
    I like this version a lot, aside from the curved turnout right at the beginning of the yard throat. All yard switching moves will be using this turnout, and what you have is a relatively tight curved turnout. Maybe there isn't any way to avoid this, but that's a highly critical piece of track there. You might even consider commissioning a skilled handlayer to fabricate a custom curved turnout for you, so that you can be assured of quality. But maybe you can work around a regular #6 turnout... including perhaps taking a Dremel to it to cut off a portion of the diverging route so that you can fit in a curved piece right after the frog (and similarly on the straight route).

Hello. My name is Michael, and I am an ALCo - haul - ic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 278 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    including perhaps taking a Dremel to it to cut off a portion of the diverging route so that you can fit in a curved piece right after the frog (and similarly on the straight route).
    Wow... now that is a spectacular idea. ;-)
    The curved Tomix section there is already a crazy-good piece of track. I can run everything on it without issue, so that may be fine, but taking your idea and using that on the first leg of the ladder would let me stretch out that lead and get things a bit straighter.
    I'll see what i can do. THX!
    Previous 8x9 Kato Layout Album Page

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll comment, if you insist! I think this most recent revision was an improvement. It may not have as many tracks or as much storage space, but it feels more realistic and just more visually interesting. Plus, the wider track centers thanks to the #6es will make reaching in to fix derailed cars and whatnot much easier.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dwwojcik For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this version a lot, aside from the curved turnout right at the beginning of the yard throat. All yard switching moves will be using this turnout, and what you have is a relatively tight curved turnout.
    Using your suggestions and looking at the lead in curve I was able to loosen that up as much as possible. I think this really flows well and is as straight as I will ever get that ladder entrance.
    Take a look and see if you find something I missed, but very happy with this one. THX WP

Note: I have put a re railer into the lead as well just to keep things on track while moving in and out. Also... If you are wondering about those extra tracks down at the bottom, I figure they will make good RIP tracks and I am planning now to put in a rail car repair shed.

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 20.31.42 PM.jpg
    Last edited by FPM_Michael; 24th Aug 2016 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Added details

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FPM_Michael For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,313 Times in 3,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you have a good plan there! The only minor change I would make would be to take the three spurs in the bottom right (the RIP tracks?) and angle them in rather than bending back parallel to the benchwork edge. In the real world, the railroad would not have purchased extra R-O-W just to let their repair track flare out away from the yard, they'd have kept everything packed close together on their property. So just use the diverging angles of the turnouts to your advantage to let those tracks hug the yard ladder a bit closer. The scenic wedge around them can thus fill up with offices and yard clutter, or even a fence line that denotes railroad property as separate from a public roadway that maybe cuts across the very corner. A little something to suggest context.

Hello. My name is Michael, and I am an ALCo - haul - ic.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you have a good plan there! The only minor change I would make would be to take the three spurs in the bottom right (the RIP tracks?) and angle them in rather than bending back parallel to the benchwork edge. In the real world, the railroad would not have purchased extra R-O-W just to let their repair track flare out away from the yard, they'd have kept everything packed close together on their property. So just use the diverging angles of the turnouts to your advantage to let those tracks hug the yard ladder a bit closer. The scenic wedge around them can thus fill up with offices and yard clutter, or even a fence line that denotes railroad property as separate from a public roadway that maybe cuts across the very corner. A little something to suggest context.
    Will do. I was curious about that when I put them in. It made more sense to tuck them in to the track area.
    thanks. I'm on it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A serious rework of the entire layout. I have simplified several areas and have eliminated three problem areas that were constantly derailing.
    I'm going to sit with this for a little while and am looking for comments as usual. I think I just tried to do too much in the first go around. Less is more I think the saying goes. ;-)

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 23.38.39 PM.jpg

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FPM_Michael For This Useful Post: