Thread: How do you do TT&TO Operations?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you do TT&TO Operations?

Looking for comments from people with medium-large layouts that have several train order stations!

I'm trying to design an inexpensive system for train control on my layout. I have 5 train order stations that will need some communication with a dispatcher who is in an end of the room that isn't easily reached. I am strongly against having station operators at each TO station.

My idea so far: Dispatcher has a panel of toggle switches to control LEDs mounted in the fascia at each TO station - Red/Green for each direction. Each station will have a cordless phone, as will the dispatcher's office. On green, each train will call in and OS. On red, the train will stop, call the dispatcher, and using materials on a clipboard at each TO station will write down their own train order (form 19s) slips as the dispatcher dictates them.

My idea is just the best I've had yet. I welcome any ideas and advice that you have! How do you do your TT&TO operations?
    N scale CPR Kootenay Division, started May 2011!
    Youtube channel: (MRR, Vlogs, Railway vids!) http://www.youtube.com/user/KootenayDivision
    Blog about the railway and methods used: http://kootenaymodelrailway.wordpress.com/ (Updated October 14th)
    Oh, and I take photos, too! http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=9296

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 467 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend of mine that uses TT&TO (who happens to also model in N-Scale) that has a system like that. His phones are hard wired, but there are dispatcher controlled train order signals at various stations. When he has orders for a train, he sets the signals and the train crews come downstairs to get their orders. Crews also use the phones to O/S from the train order signals as they pass them (or at least their supposed to). There is also a trainmaster (the layout owner) who keeps an eye on things.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim R For This Useful Post: