Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WBTR in FreeMoN modules???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I printed part of the track plan out that is going to be Cardigan Jct,, just to see what it looked like.

First time I used the print function on 3rd Plan-It. Came out nice,, I think.

See ya, Y-It

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little update for you.

I have been busy working at the other house so it can be placed on the market,, so progress has not been at the fast pace that I would like.
    I did manage to get some leg assemblies made.

Everything is glued and stapled together,, these leg assemblies are so lightweight that it ain't even funny.

Here is start of the process. After ripping down 1 1/2" and 2" wide pieces of plywood,,glued the seam and stapled. At the foot of the leg I placed a 3" block of poplar wood to give the adjusting foot somewhere to attach.

After some 3/4" #6 screws here we are. There are 4 screws per foot.

A completed leg assembly minus the hole for the wiring to pass through.

I used a 1 1/2" forstner bit to drill the whole, then used a orbital jig saw to cut the tangents to make the hole nice and tidy. Some of you guys might be thinking,,, " why the gap on one side?". I cut the material short on purpose as to allow for Mother Nature, Father time and their moron kid Murphy. The assembly can slide a little if need be,, but it won't need to.

Here is the back side. I assembled the legs as such as to allow the legs themselves to contact the framing of the section for support. The piece of material that the bolts pass through does not touch the 1/4" sub roadbed,, only the legs contact.

That thar some pretty work!!!

And just a quick set up,, to see the bright future,, ( and I aint talkin bout no csx either)

Well there ya have it,, progress is progress,, But I want to move faster,, before it gets hotter in the garage.

See ya,
    Y-it

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You would think being recently unemployed I would find more time for model railroading,,NOT. Between looking for jobs ( finding none) and applying for benefits (paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork in triplicate), I really do not feel like doing anything hobby wise.

My get up and go did not get and leave yesterday.

I moved the two sections that consist of Cardigan Jct into the cool comforts of the living room,, the garage is way too hot right now. I proceeded to transfer the trackplan onto the section surface.

I felt pretty pain free, so I decided to keep going and lay the cork down,, this is the first time I ever used cork,, I always just laid the track on the homasote or plywood. Thanks need to go Allen Heimsoth for the cork,,, without him,, there would be no roadbed.

I decided to use individual pieces of cork for the yard, as I did not have sheet cork. After watching the Mike Confalone scenery videos,, I will fill in the gaps and surrounding areas with ground goop.

On the second section of Cardigan Jct I need to have the I-695 bridge put in. Here is a picture of a 2015 version of area I am modeling.

Here is the section that I have.

I need to fit the bridge between the crossover and the junction switch. The bridge is about 330' long. I am thinking about using 4 80' sections of Micro Engineering bridge girders, which comes to 320' ,,,close enough. I also used the ruler function in Google Earth to find the dimensions of road width,, and surrounding terrian.

So,, the plan is to lay track on the yard section, come up with a bulletproof way to throw the switches ( and not be ugly), and build the bridge for the other section.

The best laid plans,,,,, often fall by the wayside,, so we will see what we will see.

Well that is all for now,,, tomorrow is a new day.

See ya,
    Y-it

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,302 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's a poor shot I had of the siding on the between Rice and Lexington
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,688 Times in 2,530 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Looks awesome Wyatt!
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

SOO

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it has been a awhile since I posted anything,, just been messing around with some projects.

1. Seeing that I am trying to be prototypical in this layout,, I contacted the Soo Line Historical and Technical Society to see if that had any drawings that might be of any use to me,, low and behold,, they did. So I had them send me the prints for the Cardigan Jct and New Brighton Jct depots. Cardigan prints has the elevations,, yay,, New Brighton does not..boo. But no worries I can always look at pics.

Here you can see it gives the distance from the tracks, which well be great in placing the depot in just the right spot.

Here is the Cardigan Jct print, I scaled it out to get the dimensions that would make it easier to construct. As you can see from the elevations,, it was originally built with 10" board and batten siding,, but in my era it was replaced by clapboard.

2. After getting the cork put down,,waiting a couple of days for the adhesive to fully cure,, next came the American Tie and Timber gapmasters. I used a Dedeco .009 Cut Off disk to cut for the section joint.

3. I did not want to use the large,, I mean huge caboose industries ground throws,, so reading other forums and other posters ideas, I decided to use slide switches. After reading M.C. Fujiwara's Alameda belt in box,, he tried the sparkfun 9609 and the adafruit 805. I had ordered some of both types. The sparkfuns are tiny!!!, so I decided to use the adafruits.

But first I had to make something to hold the switch to the layout surface. I just some pieces of .040 styrene and took some measurements for the area of the slide switch.

Here is the finished concept

The idea is that I going to be able to adjust the height of the switch to be inline with the throw bar on the turnout.

4. You can see from the pics with the turnout,, they have been worked on just a wee little bit. Seeing what other modelers have done with improving the atlas track,,I said I can do that,, with my hands tied behind my back,, because I am handy like that. Two fold here,, to improve the looks and operation. By using the pc tie,, that eliminates the use for jumpers to the point rails. And by using the solid rail for the points that will improve tracking.

Here you can see the point rails with the throw bar installed yet.

In the past I was using larger width throw bars,, but with the slide switch throw I am going to use brass wire to attach to the throw bar. So smaller throw bar it is!!

More to follow,, too many images.

See ya,
    Y-it

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The saga continues..

1A. The bridge at Cardigan Jct. When call drew the plan he mentioned that the bridge crossing over I-35 coiuld be a great scenic element,, I agree.

So,, off to google earth,, Just how long is this bridge????. Oh about 346',,wow that's long... hmm. So I came up with a plan to use 4 sections of the Micro Engineering 80' bridge girder section. 4 x 80' = 320' ,,,ehhh close enough. Now mind you I really never kit bashed or scratchbuilt anything in a scale model. In real life 1:1,, yup,, been then there and have the tool belt, spud wrenches, bolt bags to prove it.

So after looking at the bridge in google earth I came up with this for one girder section. I used my dupli-cutter as a jig to make sure my gussets were flush with the end of the bridge beam,, flushness is next to godliness.

I used .040 styrene for the gussets. Since I did not have any 5/16" ,, I had to make some,, no biggie. After time with the NWSL chopper I was able to get going.

Here are two sections (160') glued on to a 3" bridge deck base out of .040 styrene.

Well here is a picture of the work so far.

I know no railings,,but,,, I did contact a designer on shapeways and he drew up the handrail that I need,, can't wait to get it installed,, this bridge is going to rock!!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3G...i=shareProduct

Well that be it for now,, getting closer,, slowly but surely,, I know,, I know,, quit calling me shirley!!!

See ya,

Y-it

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice work on the bridge!
    Nice work on the cork and cut ties!
    Nice work on the Point Rails on those turnouts!

It's good to see progress being made Wyatt!

Oh yeah, Nice pair of U-Boats!

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I am back. For awhile I did not feel like doing anything train related,, I am pretty sure we all know how that feels.

While I was in the garage staring at the bare sections,, I decided to work on the bridge area and remove the foam for I-694 and Soo Street.
    While doing that and messing around I decided to place some rolling stock on the bridge and take some pics for the coolness factor.

I must say,,, this is going to be one way cool scene.

So gaining some motivation back,, I began to use google earth to research the way the terrain is formed around the bridge area and also around Cardigan Junction proper.

This view would be looking southeast at Cardigan Jct.

Here is the I-694 and Soo Street bridge looking south.

This is view looking east. The line curving towards the right is the Rock Island and the straight track at the top is the SOO main from Milwaukee to Duluth/Superior.

Looking west/ southwest from the junction. There are two roads in the prototype world here. On the left would be Cardigan Road and the right, Soo Street. I would like to stay with the prototype fidelity here,, do I squeeze the roads in,, or do I leave them out???

Here is a view of the rough layout of the roads. Two lanes I-694 south, two lanes I-694 north and Soo street ( barely visible ) to the right in the picture.

To all the civil engineers out there,, I know, I know,,bridge pilings. Those are the next project. For the road width and where to place the medians at, I scaled dimensions off of google earth.. I hope they are close. I plan on using either styrene or masonite for the roads to have a little elevation to allow for drainage ditches and other scenic stuff.

Like I said in the beginning,, scenery is not my bag.

Till next time,, cya

Y-it

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't laugh at my laughable skills with the bridge pilings..lol or I will

Right now I have the railings soaking in Bestine, then I will wash them, then install!!! I plan on making the bridge pilings out of basswood. Here is a sample/test shot. On Second thought,, nope,, not basswood,, nope,, ehhhh,,looks bad. lol

I know it is not the best,, just something I threw together. I used 3/16" and 1/4" square basswood. I need to noodle on a way to make them square, straight and plumb. Some of the pilings also have a bottom piece that spans the gap from column to column.

After seeing the mock ups,, with the proto pic,,, looks like mine are a wee bit small.

Cya, Y-it

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there has been more progress.

I was able to get all the track laid for the Cardigan Jct section, sure does look purdy!!

After making sure I had all the blank tie spaces filled in, I was able to move on with the wiring,, complete!! Well sort of,, no loconet cabling yet or the accessory buss. But I will get that done.

I wired up the slide switches also, plus the heat shrink tubing.

Here is a shot of the ground throw. I am thinking about using the upright wire to make targets.

I was able to run a short train to test the wiring.

Well there ya have it,, progress. The bridge scene will be next,,maybe,lol

C-ya, Y-it

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little update,, because I knew your Thanksgiving would be incomplete without the fine modeling skills that I display on a regular and consistent basis. I installed the railings on the bridge,which came out pretty good,,there are some spots that I had to fix. I attempted to use Plastruct glue,, some held,, some did not. Then I chose to use CA, Which worked better. I painted the bridge with Rust-Oleum primer for rusty metal.

That is all, you may return to your regular scheduled programming.

C-ya,
    Y-it

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Y-it....

The last pic looks to be the one where the bridge is painted?
    It's awfully dark, any chance of re-shooting this pic?

This time try smiling so the light reflects off your Pearly Whites!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allen my brother,

I do not smile..because I can not afford to send people to the eye doc for flash burn to the eyes.
    But seriously...here is the picture you requested.

Yes, yes I know it appears to sag. So the next item would be to fabricate the piers. It appears the concrete form crews are a little slow these days....so hard to find a quality crew.
    What I need to do is get a good photo stacking program so I can post better pics, these have all been cell phone camera pictures.
    Oh one more thing, I took this picture at 0415 hours,, had to take the dog out.lol.

Laters,
    Y-it

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice work! Now, go back to bed...
    N-joy!
    Tred - (USN-Ret.)
    Kansas City, KS
    (Sent using @ 1000Mbps)
    "No matter where you go, there you are!"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Looks awesome Wyatt!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has been 4 months since I had posted anything.
    What have I done?, Not much really..it is the past week that I really applied myself.

1. When I first laid track over the section joint in Cardigan Junction, I glued the American Tie and Timber tie strips right to the cork,, bad idea. So I decided to tear that out. I replaced the joint area with 1/8" plywood. Works much better.

1. Painted 4 sections Valspar tree trunk.( thanks Ed K over on The Railwire for the great winter scenery article!)

2. Laid track for section 2 ( I-694) bridge section.

3. I also cut and painted styrene for I-694 and Soo street. Just a quickie. To give me some idea. I noticed that the paint " cracked". Like maybe the pigment shrunk during drying.
    Waiting on my 1\32" striping tape to come in. I did some math, I can put the roads on 3\16" plywood and still be in tolerance for 70's-80's vertical DOT height clearances of around 14' or so. Right now the bridge sits 1 1/2" from the plywood to bottom of girder. If I could find a picture of bridge clearance sign from the bridge in question..that would be great..just do not know where to locate.

4. Laid track for section 3 and 4. Which is the Arden Hills industrial area.
    5. You can also see that I tried some grout ground cover..ehh..hard to spread...came out lumpy. Used a brush to feather out..worked ok I guess. I need to figure out a way to spread that stuff. Maybe a flour siffter. Luke Towan on You Tube uses a spray bomb cap inside of a panty hose.

Tried some grout ground cover..ehh..hard to spread...came out lumpy. Used a brush to feather out..worked ok I guess.

6. Wired up all the sections that have track.

7. Attached my digitrax system to some scrap plywood I had laying around. Now I have duplex wireless for the sections.

I did all of that in 4 days this past week. Cept for the ground cover. Not having a job helped..I was able to spend 6-8 hours per day on the sections.

Plan this week..besides trying to find a job.
    A. Install 8 slide switches for turnout control and frog power.
    B. Paint track with my new airbrush ( iwata eclipse) or I might just my paasche..ehh ..do not know.
    C. Weather ties before ballasting. See Mike Confalone here. He paints his ties in various stages of disrepair and use. Adds a real nice touch.

I have cross posted on various forums before in the past, only to realize that it is a waste of time. So I am just going to stick with NSN. So there ya have it. Cut, dried, done.

See ya laters
    Y-it

30. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This shot really gives you a good idea of how long the bridge is Y-it.
    This will be a signature scene when finished.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

SOO

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer I'm home!!! Lobster thermidor!!!!!,, my favorite. ( Lego Batman movie quote)

Today I had the great pleasure in fixing a free moN section!!!

After all this planning by others and myself,, I have a oops! As the sections stand with the 3/4" Birch plywood end plates,, I am too small on my over all dimension on the length. I need 1/2" more to make the last section fit between a section and the track on the garage door. So I tore off the 3/4" plywood on both ends to give me the needed space. When I built these I used wood glue and staples,, you can see some of the old 3/4" plywood still attached. I used a sharp chisel and palm sander to clean the surface.

Here are both ends cleaned up ready for the new end plate. I am going use 1/4" Baltic Birch. Hobby lobby has 8"x36" pieces that you can buy. I have one piece already but there is one little bitty issue... I guess the guy running the saw at the place where the wood is cut,, can not read a tape measure. The piece is only 35 7/8". The reason I have a issue with that is,, my sections are just shy of 18" wide,, so a piece cut to 36" would be perfect,, but nooooo,,, that person has one job,, and failed at it. With the new end plates I will have 13/16" between the last section and the garage door track.

So now I have go back to Hobby Lobby to get another piece,,, geez.

Once I get this done, I can proceed to lay track on the last sections. Always something getting in the way,, always!!!

Later till next time,

Y-it
    Attached Images Attached Images

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more progress to report.

I painted the last three sections of the layout, so now all sections are painted.

I printed out the remaining trackplan from 3rd Plan-it, assembled the puzzle.

Here are the track centerlines transferred to the foam. I used a razor knife to cut through the paper so I could then make the lines more visible using a black sharpie marker.

The next steps are to lay the cork,, then lay the track and then wire everything up. Then the most important thing,,,RUN TRAINS!!!

That is all.

Laters,
    Wyatt

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post: