Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 772 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default E&LS

Watched some You Tube videos on the Escabanana and Lake Superior last night. Holy wah, was that entertaining! The E&LS should stand for "Elderly & Lacking Safety". I've driven on 141 and saw their trackage, but had never seen a train...when I lived on the bay near Little Suamico it was the line further west of me than the CN line to Escanaba, it ran through Sobieski instead of Little Suamico and I recall the tracks looking somewhere between awful and horrible. To see an ancient SD9 coupled to a F-unit, flying down that decrepit track at 40 mph...wow. The engines are tipping left and right, careening about...it's a wonder there isn't a daily derailment! At a couple points the cameraman zooms in on track that's hanging in mid-air and bouncing up and down like a damned pogo stick with every truck that goes over it.

I've never understood why railroads enter the death-rattle of 'deferred maintenance'. They may as well shoot themselves in the heads while they're at it. You can't make money with junk equipment on junk track.

One of the clips ends with two E&LS guys standing on a knuckle coupler on the end of one of those careening, way too fast for conditions trains. I guess that's a Yooper Caboose!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 842 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-LineSoo View Post
    You can't make money with junk equipment on junk track.
    I agree with you with for common carriers (several contributing factors to the Lac Megantic disaster were related to cost cutting). But junk equipment on junk track was pretty much standard operating procedure for logging railroads.
    Creating new towns out of thin air.
    My build thread, the Aylesbury Branch

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's not to say that I don't love watching old equipment, or that there's anything wrong with old, properly maintained equipment. I'm really at a loss as to how they could permit such speeds on track like that, though. What will it cost when the locomotives tip over? If crewmen die? Some ballast, ties and rail is pretty cheap, comparitively.

I remember in the mid 80's, during the last gasps of the Soo and C&NW in Oshkosh, watching C&NW trains at a particular crossing where you could see about 10 yards of rail, free of the ties, bouncing up and down. This went on for months on end. What if a loco derailed and crushed a carload of people at the crossing? To me, this is just plain stupidity, there is zero cost savings in being a damned fool.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're not going to get to see them, but according to the E&LS facebook fan page, as of April 2016, guess what's still on the property?

shark.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,090 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're not going to get to see them, but according to the E&LS facebook fan page, as of April 2016, guess what's still on the property?
    I'm sure it will take a change of ownership before the Sharks make it out to the light of day. It's amazing how the actions of a couple people wreck it for everyone else.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope the Sharks see daylight again while I'm still alive. Would love to see them in a museum.

Don
    If you're having fun, you're doing it right.
    This is not a contest.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Apparently the owner of the E&LS has made arrangements for the collection upon his demise. I don't know where they're going, but they'll be preserved. My GUESS is that they'll end up at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, since E&LS tracks terminate there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never understood why railroads enter the death-rattle of 'deferred maintenance'. They may as well shoot themselves in the heads while they're at it.
    It's not entirely on them (though at this point I guess it would be) - but the deferred maintenance goes waaaaaaaaaaaay back to the Milwaukee days already. It never was a high-traffic line (I think the "best" they ever had on it was tri-weekly service), so that would be a big part of letting it slip away for so long.
    -Kevin, N Scaler extrordinaire

Why not become a Virtual EntreperNeur - you know you want to...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I saw on their Facebook group page that their SD9 is back up and working for a living again...