Thread: Bend Track modules

Thanks
    Thanked 7,697 Times in 2,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    I came close to going the Bendtrack Route, but the NTrak club I was in at the time had some naysayers. I liked the standard (other than the wiring...c'mon...time to convert to PowerPoles). I met the local FreemoN group and the rest is history.
    @jpwisc
    There are some in every crowd Karl.

Come on Karl, give us a break!
    We came up with the design back before PowerPoles became common.
    Like I said in the earlier post, we planned to add them to the standards but just never got around to it.
    Whenever someone contacted us or we talked with them, we mentioned about the switch over.

Gotta give me a little credit there bud?
    Last edited by Allen H.; 21st Jan 2017 at 12:39 AM.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,302 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whoops, I got oNetrack and bendtrack mixed up in my head. I was going to build some oNetrack modules. I just looked up the bendtrack standards and it is most interesting. I designed a layout once using a similar concept. It is good space utilization.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siderod View Post
    I'm one of the members of a local BendTrack modular club, the Eastern Benders.
    We're pretty well the only modular N-scale group in the Maritime Provinces.

I've always been slightly surprised the standard never caught on more than it did ... I love it's versatility & flexibility over the typical nTrack, and the double track mainline looks MUCH more realistic in my eyes. We've tried to avoid the 16" minimum radius as much as possible, enlarging the balloons to accommodate something more like a 19-20 inch radius. We're phasing out older club modules as we replace them with newer.
    @Allen H. Am I to assume, based on your earlier comments, that you were one of the driving forces behind the start of BendTrack?

We've made some changes along the way to our locally-accepted standards ... for example, we've moved away from the Cinch Jones plugs, partially due to cost & partially due to the fact they have become very hard to find. We've adopted the PowerPole-style connectors that I've heard N-trak is also using now. We still maintain the 50" height, despite the occasional grumble from parents.

I have attached a picture of our current on-going club modules ... the pictures shows two yard modules, totaling about 11 feet long. There is a 6-foot long balloon on end end, which is being build as a diesel service facility.

I like some things about bentrack but I like a bit more variation. Parallel tracks at the edge of each module going for 11 ft looks a bit odd. I am well aware that we are trying to shrink the real world into a 2x4 or 2x6 module and that at times, can be difficult. I am going modular once I retire and stop moving. My line of work moves me every 2 or 3 years. Once settled, I will create my own "standard" as I do not foresee taking my layouts to a club.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xicaque View Post
    Parallel tracks at the edge of each module going for 11 ft looks a bit odd
    I agree! But it's 33% more realistic looking than nTrack! :-P

I do agree though, which is one of the reasons we typically don't leave the tracks parallel to the edges of the modules. We'll either 'bump' the modules width to allow some scenery along the edge, helping take away from the "along the tabletop edge" look. Also, we'll often swing the mainlines inboard a little bit, giving them some gentle S-curves along the length of the module. There are many ways to get away from the problem you describe.

My 2 cents,
    AR
    Siderod (II)
    Andrew Reid
    Junction Design
    Custom Designed N-scale Stuff!
    www.shapeways.com/shops/junctiondesign

Have a product you would like to see made in N?
    Feel free to get in touch with suggestions!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to siderod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Xicaque
    I like some things about bentrack but I like a bit more variation. Parallel tracks at the edge of each module going for 11 ft looks a bit odd.
    This statement is not pointed directly at you, but....
    This is the exact kind of attitude that we use to run into back when we first introduces Bend Track to the public.

If you want more variation, then build the kind of variation you want, as long as the tracks and wiring come together where the modules join (Unless you're building several modules that will go together the same way all the time) you are free to do anything you wish.

Here's one that one of guys built where the tracks didn't parallel the edges

There was group out in California who wanted more space between the outer track and module edge.
    They contacted me and asked if this would go against the standards?
    What they did and why was to add more scenery so they could get better photos from the outer edge.
    I think they, as a group added something like 6" so they wound up with 8"-9"
    On some modules they brought the edges back to the normal where the modules met but didn't like how it looked, so I told them to build some modules that did nothing but widen the benchwork from the normal 24" to whatever they had built theirs to. Done, Easy, Simple.

Open your mind, and design. Then only limitations to the modules is where your mind stops.
    You need to think outside the drawings that are in the manual, those are nothing more than MINIMUMs.

I will create my own "standard" as I do not foresee taking my layouts to a club.
    That is exactly what we did!
    Last edited by Allen H.; 21st Jan 2017 at 11:37 AM.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I do agree though, which is one of the reasons we typically don't leave the tracks parallel to the edges of the modules. We'll either 'bump' the modules width to allow some scenery along the edge, helping take away from the "along the tabletop edge" look. Also, we'll often swing the mainlines inboard a little bit, giving them some gentle S-curves along the length of the module. There are many ways to get away from the problem you describe.

My 2 cents,
    AR
    @siderod

THIS IS EXACTLY what I'm talking about!
    Think outside the box!

If you don't like something, change it! Don't be a SHEEPLE!
    The module's edge is not the limit, EXPAND it! Change it!

Bravo!!!
    Last edited by Allen H.; 21st Jan 2017 at 10:12 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Here's one that one of guys built where the tracks didn't parallel the edges
    Nice looking string of modules, Allen! Is that a connection to oNeTrak/FreemoN/etc I spot on the lower left corner of that photo?

Thinking a little more about it, Xicaque, I'd almost suggest looking around and seeing if there is a modular group of any sort in your local area (either now, or post-move), and go sit down with them ... either at a show, or see if they'll welcome you into a 'meeting' if they host a train night/round robin/etc (I'm sure they will ... N-scale folk are pretty friendly) and see if you like what they have to offer.

As Allen has said, don't be afraid to innovate, even if that requires your own standard,. But sometimes its unnecessary to reinvent the wheel. If there's a local Bendtrack group, I'm sure they'd welcome you aboard. If the local group is oNeTrak, build a couple Bendtrack Modules to interact with their oNeTrak.

The opportunities are literally limitless. :-)
    AR
    Siderod (II)
    Andrew Reid
    Junction Design
    Custom Designed N-scale Stuff!
    www.shapeways.com/shops/junctiondesign

Have a product you would like to see made in N?
    Feel free to get in touch with suggestions!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to siderod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In reviewing all that has been written, I have come to the conclusion that with N-trak and T-trak the modular layouts are either rectangles or "L's" in shape. With Bendtrack and oNetrak the layouts are linear and can wonder all over the area given to any group. With passing sidings oNetrak can be operated with trains running both directions and with ballon ends, the trains can be turned and run continuously. Or you can operate point to point. with Bendtrak, again the layouts are linear with ballon returns on the ends. Given everything I have been able to find, I would probably go with Bendtrak for a large layout and let it wonder all over the place. For smaller layouts, I would probably use ballon loops with T-trak and again let it wonder all over the place. MasterPiece Modules have a good design for return loop modules. I guess it just depends upon which modular system you can agree upon with the others in your club or area. All have good points and bad points. The main thing is to have fun and show N scale model railroading to the public. later Craig

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CASMMR (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 910 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CASMMR View Post
    In reviewing all that has been written, I have come to the conclusion that with N-trak and T-trak the modular layouts are either rectangles or "L's" in shape.
    That is at least partly by design. Remember that when n-track was created in the 1970s, the primary purpose was to show off what you could do in n-scale. The n-trak standard was intended to be run in oval layouts, which is the reason the standards call for modules to be a multiple of 2 feet in length.

I've seen a few modules in the almost 30 years I've been involved in n-trak that were not straight. i don't think any of these have had more than a 2 foot offset, unless the module set included a corner. That isn't done more often due largely to the engineering involved to make sure the offset ends are actually parallel to one another.

With Bendtrack and oNetrak the layouts are linear and can wonder all over the area given to any group. With passing sidings oNetrak can be operated with trains running both directions and with ballon ends, the trains can be turned and run continuously.
    My issue with oNeTrak has always been the drawbacks it inherited from N-trak. The biggest of those issues actually has to do with the module dimensions. oNeTrak modules are expected to be able to replace an n-trak module in a layout. In other words, they still have to be a multiple of 2 feet in length. Every oNeTrak layout I remember seeing was connected to an n-trak layout, usually by connecting to an n-track layout using two junction modules. ( the first one I remember seeing was actually all narrow gauge modules.... )

One of the reasons I went with Free-moN for my single track modules is that, because there is no expectation of continuous running, modules can be any length and any shape, provided the track is centered on an end plate and straight for the required 4". ( and the track meets the minimum radius requirement.)

Craig, If I had been interested in double track railroading, I probably would have been more interested in reviving our old club 2-trak standard than Bendtrak. We could certainly build reverse loop modules for that standard.

For those who don't know, Craig and I are both long time members of Central Ohio N-trak. When I joined the club, we had many modules that were built to a standard which had 2 tracks at 1.5" spacing with the tracks running down the center of the module. We had conversion modules to convert between n-trak modules ( with the optional front passing siding ) to the 2 track standard so we could combine the two module types

The center track placement is one of the things I have come to love about Free-moN. In addition to making modules naturally reversible, it helps you focus on the things most important to the railroad.

Paul

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice looking string of modules, Allen! Is that a connection to oNeTrak/FreemoN/etc I spot on the lower left corner of that photo?
    Nope, the track that curves to the left at the bottom is one leg of the WYE that enters the yard on my "Inlet Module"

It allowed us to enter the yard from either main from either direction.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my earlier post I referred to oNetrak, it should have been FreemoN. As Paul put so bluntly stated several decades ago to more senior members of our club, "it is part of the natural aging out process". so I claim that as my reason for mixing up the names oNetrak and FreemoN apologies to both modular systems. I had forgotten about the club standard with 2 tracks centered along the center line. We even had 2 conversion modules to go from the then club standard n-trak orange, red, yellow, blue to the 2 tracks and back again. Those were the days, Paul the professional student and a 10,000 + sq ft building at the Ohio State Expo Center.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 910 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CASMMR View Post
    As Paul put so bluntly stated several decades ago to more senior members of our club, "it is part of the natural aging out process". so I claim that as my reason for mixing up the names oNetrak and FreemoN
    No worries about the mixup Craig.

I have to tell my students I suffer from CRS (can't remember stuff). A line I learned from Tom Tallant.

I had forgotten about the club standard with 2 tracks centered along the center line. We even had 2 conversion modules to go from the then club standard n-trak orange, red, yellow, blue to the 2 tracks and back again. Those were the days, Paul the professional student and a 10,000 + sq ft building at the Ohio State Expo Center.
    I actually didn't become a professional student until after we left the fairgrounds, but yes, I miss having that building in many ways.

Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sorry to resurrect an old thread

My account was manually activated, so I was asked to post.

N-Trak, Bend Track, T-track, FreemoN - I guess it really all depends on what format is used by the local club (if there is one.)

I'm just starting out, have limited space, so modular it is. Originally, I wanted to try Free-mo in HO scale (better for the old eyes) but there are no clubs nearby. I have contacted a local N-Trak / Bend Track club, and am awaiting their response as to how rigorously they adhere to the published standards, changes for "local" standards, wiring (i.e.: connectors), etc. Then I'll decide what path to take from there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go Free-moN and make your own group.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sodapop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,381 Times in 544 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that I can finally contribute to this discussion.....

I'm an advocate for Bend Track and the idea behind it. The N scale guys in my club (4 of us) finally agreed upon a modified version of Bend Track. The two main differences for us is that we added 6" to the center of the module to allow for more scenery, and we went the KATO Unitrack route utilizing their "expansion track" pieces between modules. Which are the greatest things since sliced bread!
    20180428_124103.jpg

We went from running trains once a year on a member's personal modular layout at our Holiday show, to doing 5-6 shows a year and several operating/work sessions a year as well. The flexibility and mobility of these are great for our 4 person group! Set-up time is minimal, from unloading the modules to running trains takes less then 45 minutes. Perfect for the one day shows that we attend in the community. Just last Saturday we did a 4 hour display with the local library who was doing a program on transportation that shaped our area. How cool is that?

The modules:

Club Module.
    This was designed to be taken independently to exhibits, so the inside mainline of Bend Track can be operated as an independent loop contained on the module. An additional loop was added above the Bend Track mainlines. The picture below was it in its early stages.
    20662691_1571887266175032_304932465_o.jpg

DePeel Balloon module.
    A simple balloon module, still a blank canvas, but this will eventually be a farm scene I'm being told.
    20180324_090816.jpg

My two straight "Bump out" modules.
    I knew that I could handle (store) two straight modules, so I volunteered to make the straight modules. Also wanting to be able to have a complete loop without making additional modules right off of the bat, I increased the width from 30" to 35" (the trunk to my hatchback is 36"). So, I bumped out my modules to be able to squeeze in a "local line" contained between my two modules. The only set back of doing that is that while the outer ends of the modules are to the standard, the two inside ends are not. So these modules can only be put together this way, and cannot be separated.
    21245832_1595104533853305_1680459639_o.jpg20180428_111640.jpg

As of right now we have 4 modules that when combined are just over 17' long. Not bad for our small group starting out. Several more modules are in the works to be able to add to the length and the flexibility of the system.
    20180428_111735.jpg20180428_111754.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision
    I'm not allowed to run the train, the whistle I can't blow. I'm not allowed to say how fast the Railroad Train can go.
    I'm not allowed to shoot off steam, nor even clang the bell. But let the damned Train jump the track, and see who catches hell!

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sodapop View Post
    Go Free-moN and make your own group.
    Well, I feel as though that would be counter productive in the long run. Going with a standard that isn't supported by others in the area means I either build all my own modules (I did mention "limited space", didn't I?) or attempt to "steal" members of the existing Bend Track club away to the new format. If I stay with Bend Track, I can build one or two modules, and know that I can bring either, or both, to a show, and incorporate them into the club layout.

That being said, I am finding the "local standards" to be a bit frustrating. It seems each region or club has it's own variations of the "standards" (which sort of negates the whole concept.) For instance, some clubs have converted to Powerpole connectors, others have not. Between N-Trak, Bend Track, T Trak, FreemoN, oNetrack, and all the local variations of each, I'm almost surprised any two modules built by any two people will work together at all.

EDIT: the local club did get in touch with me. It seems their membership is all over the place, with some members building N-Trak, some Bend Track, some T-Track, and others FreemoN. Most of the modules currently under construction are adapter modules, trying to get all the different formats working together. Frankly, it's a mess.
    I've decided to build one or two Bend Track modules based on a local, 19 mile railroad that connects to both NS and CSX. Doing some research on the history and industries they serve now. Nothing says I can't detail to the FreemoN standard. I'll be using wiring terminal blocks and make up connection leads with both Cinch-Jones and PowerPole connectors, just in case. I'm also designing a Bend Track alignment tool in CAD to assure that the tracks will be accurately placed, both from the center of the module, and correctly set back from the ends of the module. I'll have it laser cut out of 1/8" 6 ply birch plywood. It should make that part easier, at least.
    Last edited by P. Lyn deWall; 1st Jun 2018 at 04:12 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to P. Lyn deWall For This Useful Post: