Thread: Bachmann TGV Set -- Just what I need, another project loco

Thanks
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 713 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bachmann TGV Set -- Just what I need, another project loco

Ok so my kids love high-speed trains and most are far too expensive so I just picked up a Bachmann TGV set that needs lots of work... Anyway, figured I would post my journey.

I have had some luck fixing Bachmann split gears but I am still learning and I have a fair number of Bachmann trolleys and F#/GP40/50's to salvage parts from (also some passenger cars). from what I can tell this set uses powered truck similar or the same as the F#/GP40/50's and the non-powered units seem to use similar setup to the Bachmann Amtrak Passenger cars I have (i.e., long springs with all-wheel pickup and plastic insulating wheel cuffs).

Here is the initial picture from the Ebay listing (figure you guys can use a chuckle on a Monday morning):

Bachmann TGV.jpg

p.s., I emailed the seller asking if the other powered truck happened to be somewhere and he indicated yes it was just off to the side when he took the picture so he would include it. So problem #1 solved

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I know someone on here had a set like this for sale recently and had replaced the geared wheels with ones from a trolly, I'll be doing the same once I get a set. If you need any reference pictures let me know, I have no problem with pulling mine apart.
    Tim

Shoot for the stars, anything less and your selling yourself short...

B&LE SD18 project
    B&LE 200: The Merry Widow
    B&LE SD38AC build
    D&H #17 project
    Resin T-1 build

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Celidude For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks @Celidude -- really appreciate the offer and I may take you up on it once I get this item and have messed with it a bit.

I saw that other TGV set w/ fixed gears for sale but it was too expensive for me. I actually won an auction a while ago for a TGV set listed in N-scale but it turned out to be Ho (hard to tell since these don't have normal couplers etc... anyway, they refunded the money and told me to keep the train so I have a random Ho Scale TGV set that my kids have abused).

This lot was definitely discounted because it was disassembled w/ uncertainty about whether all the parts are even there (I got it for $40 shipped so if I can fix it then it works out to a good deal).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wishing you luck!
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

7. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Thanked 7,855 Times in 4,498 Posts
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A TGV was the first N scale train that I bought. I got it to celebrate my ride on the real thing.

Unfortunately, it also was my first encounter with White Gear Syndrome. The sideframes on mine and a second one I bought are glued on so, I was never able to rebuild the locos. NWSL offers replacement gears. Completely different plastic than what Bachmann has used. Two sets give you enough cars for a full train.

Like several other traction mainline trains the pantographs can carry power, but unlike the newer offerings they were not connected to the motor.

Be be careful on swapping gears, over time Bachmann has changed the thickness of the stub axles, so you might not be able to just swap the gears. The newer black gears have a smaller diameter hole for the wheels. So older wheels will split the black gears without any effort.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you post close up pics of the trucks from all 4 sides?
    I think I have quite a few of these, and I know for sure I have lots of other Bachmann geared axles.
    Post a diameter and tooth count.
    I maybe able to help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donzi View Post
    Can you post close up pics of the trucks from all 4 sides?
    I think I have quite a few of these, and I know for sure I have lots of other Bachmann geared axles. Post a diameter and tooth count. I maybe able to help.
    Thanks @donzi. I really appreciate the offer and may take you up on this.

I have not received the set yet (that was the Ebay post picture). Apparently both powered trucks are there even though only one is in the picture. I will put the non-powered loco back together first (to reduce confusion on parts) and then see how the powered unit goes together. I have tried my hand at repairing split gears and thus far have had luck when the split was only on the axle portion -- brass rings / cuffs do not put enough pressure on gear to close gap and assure teeth mesh perfectly. I will next test drilling holes in the gears with my pin drill bits and wrapping phosphor bronze wire around the split to force it closed -- will still use a brass cuff in combination with the wire so lets see. I may also drill/bore out the axle hole to reduce pressure on the gear when the wheels is jammed in. I also have a fair amount of Bachmann salvage units so hope any parts that are missing I can scrounge up. I think all the gears are split so if I cannot fix the gears or find a non-split replacement I may email you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok -- pickup the set at my post office today... put it on the bench and inventoried the parts. Looks like everything is here besides one split white gear (the ones the wheels go into). They are the same as the ones in the Brill trolleys so I was able to take one from a parts brill that I have. Seems like someone was trying to install a decoder or something but cannot be sure (frame might be milled?). Anyway, pieced it back together and looks to all fit fine, tested the motor and it works great. I started cleaning up the gears (had some glue or something applied I guess to try to get them to run more quietly or a half-ass try to fix the split gears) and messing with the pantographs (need some work). Will try the brass cuffs w/ JB Weld tonight maybe so can test it out this weekend.

20170310_121038.jpg 20170310_121044.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No sign of a light board!

These were made long before DCC was big in N scale.

Make sure you place the motor in with the correct side up. Otherwise it will run backwards.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good eye @ChicagoNW -- the light board is here (although I have not tested it). I think it was in the box the parts came in off to the side when I took the picture (next to the spare Bachmann motor -- I was comparing the TGV motor to the typical open-sided motors on most Bachmann units I have seen.

I have put motors in backwards a number of times which is really annoying (particularly if I put the motor together backwards after servicing it and not just set it into the chassis backwards). It seems the way the contacts are on this motor it can only go in one way without shorting across two sides of chassis. It also looks like the motor makes contact with the chassis on one side and the light-board on the other -- this is unusual and I was wondering if a previous owner had bent the contacts to isolate one side from the chassis.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nope. That is correct. The board fed the motor and the light.

DCC requires both sides of the motor to connect to the decoder. This is "isolating" the motor. Only isolating one side will burn up the decoder. Maybe even damage the base station.

Depending on which generation of motor you are looking at the main shaft is just longer.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The motor in my TGV seems smoother, quieter, and slower than my other Bachmann's so maybe it is a later generation motor.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It shouldn't be slower.