Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Going Modular

Thanks
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 539 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought some cork to lay on top of the foam base for in between track sections. This may take some time to cut pieces to closely fit.

The Roundhouse area is already sitting on top of cork, so I am thinking that that area should be OK. It is just the yard that I will have to cut out.

I'll post some pictures tonight, but I made up a quick control panel for the Turntable to use while I figure out where I want to put the controls at. It is ugly, but functional.
    I have a DPDT switch that controls the direction and then a push button to make the table spin. Thinking about putting a push button on the side that is usually facing the public for the kiddos to spin the turntable and then one on the inside of the pit for us to use. The DPDT switch is an On-Off-On switch, so when we are using the turntable, I can switch it OFF so that pushing the buttons will not move the table. I can see it now: someone pushing the button as I try to pull on/off the table! LOL

Planning a run/work session for this Sunday on my railroad, so I'll need to spend some time tidying up the place too.
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision
    I'm not allowed to run the train, the whistle I can't blow. I'm not allowed to say how fast the Railroad Train can go.
    I'm not allowed to shoot off steam, nor even clang the bell. But let the damned Train jump the track, and see who catches hell!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As promised, ugly temporary TT control panel.

Ugly TT Control.jpg
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision
    I'm not allowed to run the train, the whistle I can't blow. I'm not allowed to say how fast the Railroad Train can go.
    I'm not allowed to shoot off steam, nor even clang the bell. But let the damned Train jump the track, and see who catches hell!

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worked on getting the yard module cleaned off last night. It had become a work bench/ catchall.

I cut some pieces of Unitrack to fit the Return module, so now I can glue everything down. The new yard lead that starts on the Return Module really helps increase the incoming train length that the yard can handle. I really like the slight bend that the yard tracks have. It will look good as they curve with the hillside.

Not sure what to do with the tracks off to the left side of the module. I went a little crazy last night with left over sectional and flex track.

62258291_2339156599695436_675269528669650944_n.jpg
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,373 Times in 2,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RailKing50 View Post
    Not sure what to do with the tracks off to the left side of the module. I went a little crazy last night with left over sectional and flex track.
    Sometimes it's good to have a little negative space lest it becomes too busy.
    There was a guy in the local club who had two 8' HO modules. He LITERALLY had them covered in track, so much so that there was no room for any buildings, roads or scenery!

He even had a turnout that lead to a 3" spur in the middle of it all!
    When they asked him about it, he replied "Cause I had room for it."

What's that old saying? "Sometimes less is more"
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,032 Times in 3,567 Posts
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    He even had a turnout that lead to a 3" spur in the middle of it all!
    A 3" spur isn't that bad, you can fit a shorter car like maybe a 2-bay hopper.... oh wait, I'm thinking N-scale!
    This was HO you say?
    That's barely enough for ONE THIRD of a modern boxcar in that scale.

On a more serious note, I'm all for restraint when it comes to establishing context, and not letting the track grow like unkempt weeds all over the place. I frequently advocate running main lines along a diagonal line through a scene, so that you end up with balanced foreground and background, and a better sense of rolling through a world (which is actually advice that @RailKing50 has acted on with his roundhouse module, in this case). But I can also see a case to be made that, in some instances, the track IS the context. When you're trying to represent a busy mega-yard, cramming the track in might just be the right thing to do; I've even seen it done with stub tracks that are purely scenic, having no functional connection to the rest of the layout.

In this case, I see the yard tracks that extend onto the balloon-loop module having a bit of wiggle to them, instead of running straight, and this is a case where I think there needs to be some reason why they are wiggling. It could be a large industry, or a highway with overpasses (my choice, as it would disguise the loop), or some other feature that constrains the railroad's property. The question, though, is what is to be done at the left of the photo, which I take to mean the approach coming into the yard lead and roundhouse area. If it were me, I would keep the track there minimal, and use the scenic space to establish that there is a town of decent size that supports this yard location. Major yards like this are rarely out there in uncivilized wilderness. If you really want some kind of flourish, you could maybe work in a single industry spur, that perhaps is track-in-the-streets that reaches a customer on a downtown avenue. The yard switcher and a single boxcar trundle down it, obeying the traffic lights... is that how that would work? Anyways, that would be a fun juxtaposition to the yard sprawl next door.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Allen H.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    What's that old saying? "Sometimes less is more"
    Yeah, yesterday when I was down there I immediately ripped all of that nonsense up. I got a little carried away there. Not one of my proudest moments....

Always great advice @WP&P.

The reason for the bend in the yard is that the balloon will have a hill on it, so it is bending at the foot of it.

In the pictures below, you can see the elevated platform with the small loop on it, that will be a hill. The foot of the hill will slope downwards to the stud end of the yard to help break up the flatness of the yard. This is supposed to be rural Appalachia after all! Me thinks that is enough to warrant a bend in the yard?
    Return Module with Hills.JPG

I do like the idea of the industrial spur and the edge of the town. The yards and roundhouse are really the only spurs/ industries on my modules.

Last night after having fun filling up the yard, I turned around after shutting off the lights before heading out the door and snapped a picture of the yard module, I've never really looked at it from this angle before.

61911974_335127890497830_2073803857699274752_n.jpg
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great time was had by all last Sunday. The modules performed very well with all of the trains that we ran on it. Even the yard performed better then expected. The Roundhouse module was a hit with the yard and Turntable. The turntable still needs some tweaks, but I am pleased with it so far.

My friend Kirk ran a 50+ car BN/ Milwaukee train while I ran a 55 car coal drag on the other mainline.

Kirk watching trains roll by & my coal drag rounding the bend.
    20190609_173806.jpg20190609_175105.jpg

Can't wait to get this scene together!

20190609_173828.jpg

Peter brought out an Ann Arbor sand train. Below 381 takes a spin on the turntable while the Annie caboose rounds the bend on the local line. Both units are custom by him.

62551557_376596896294866_9193495295156027392_n.jpg62099610_437241887059251_1697689555794132992_n.jpg

Another great shot from Peter was of Kirk's mid train helper attacking the grade that my modules are on! I did catch some flak for the grade...... I told them welcome to Appalachia!

62191596_2224836654280060_8385793276002697216_n.jpg

I had to pose 2101 for a quick picture before I sent her off to @GM50 4164 to have her DCC'd. Can't wait to get her back and into excursion service!

Thanks Ben!

20190610_211931.jpg
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,423 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RailKing50 View Post
    I told them welcome to Appalachia!
    Right on!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't really had much hobby time lately, come to think of it, I haven't much sleep lately either.... the reason? We welcomed our first little bundle of joy into the world on June 14th!
    We brought him home from the Hospital on, get this, FATHER"S DAY! What a great first Father's day gift! Told my wife that it will hard to top this next year! Mother and baby are doing great.

My work gave me a week off to get adjusted to life with an infant. And while I envisioned it having more time for hobbies then what actually happened, I was able to make great progress on what I am calling the "Command Station". We have been using the NCE USB interface with JMRI for a little over a year now off and on. I say off and on because it is up to me to bring my laptop and hope to get it set up correctly. Even at home, I would rarely use it because that would require me to take my laptop down to the garage. Realizing that we had an old desktop computer taking up space in a closet, my wife was happy that I had a use for it. Or was she happy to gain closet space? Probably the latter. Either way, I had the beginnings of a command station. After the purchase of a router, and some trial and error uploading drivers, I now have a dedicated Withrottle server.

Below is a picture of it in its current state. Though ugly, it works. Concept proven. The next step will be to make it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and mobile enough to be able to transport to shows.

65119003_871484033200705_746665521650335744_n.jpg
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Fathers Day indeed congratulations. Progress on the rail road looks good also.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to S ARR T 8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the baby. Command station set up looks good...always amazed at the solutions people come up with for a need. Mount your NCE USB to the floor next to the desk top and drill a small hole in the side or even the floor since you have the wheels for your USB cable to run out of then you will be able to close those doors while you operate.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan on getting a different cabinet for it. That was one that I had paint stored in. I ended up finding a coiled cable to replace the chord that goes from the NCE USB Interface to the layout. It allows some give while I wheel it around. I am hesitant to mount anything until I find a better cabinet. The plan is to be able to push it underneath of the modules, so i'll need a cabinet where I can fit both the monitor and tower in it.
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,907 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Congrats on the baby!

Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR