Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Modular

Thanks
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 571 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bench work for the "bump out" has been approved by my bench work guy! I bought a pair of "surplus" modules from the club that he is going to rebuild for me to the desired dimensions.

Still not completely sold on the switchbacks. Either way, the bump out will give me more room for whatever I end up doing.
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision
    I'm not allowed to run the train, the whistle I can't blow. I'm not allowed to say how fast the Railroad Train can go.
    I'm not allowed to shoot off steam, nor even clang the bell. But let the damned Train jump the track, and see who catches hell!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the bump out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CARS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having second thoughts about the switch backs. Trying to gauge how much enjoyment that I'll get out of it as it would eat up a lot of room for scenery (which I enjoy a lot) due to the steep terrain.

Also taking into consideration that I should keep it simple with the first module.

Decisions, decisions...

I took May 16th off from work to rebuild the modules with my friend. One thing is for certain, one side will be bumped out.
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision
    I'm not allowed to run the train, the whistle I can't blow. I'm not allowed to say how fast the Railroad Train can go.
    I'm not allowed to shoot off steam, nor even clang the bell. But let the damned Train jump the track, and see who catches hell!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had some fun sketching in SCARM tonight. I thought that I would try to play around with the bump out concept. With this plan the bump outs are on opposite sides of the modules which will put a slight bend in the modules. I wanted to break up the straight lines, and I agree, the curved sections on the "mainline" could probably be worked out smoother.

Like I mentioned before, I had to be able to run a continuous loop on these two modules. I added a pair of cross overs to be able to connect to the inner mainline. (one more and I'll be able to connect to the outer mainline as well.) Since we are just starting out, we do not have a club yard module yet. The reason why I wanted to have a yard is so that I can park my trains on my modules when I am not operating at shows.

Any questions, comments, or concerns.
    V.1.JPGV. 1.1.JPGV. 1.2.JPG
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,246 Times in 3,637 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that N-Trak has standards regarding S-curves in the main, which this plan is violating. Basically, they call for 6" of tangent between opposing curves. Without this, you can have a mismatch of body mount and truck mount cars, or long and short, or some blend of the two, that tend to derail due to lateral forces caused by the S-curving. So, even if it's not an imposed standard for your modules, it's still a good idea not to have a left curve butting right into a right curve, or vice-versa. It seems like you've got the room to make those mainline curves broader as well as inclusive of tangents; if you're beholden to sectional track, try just using half-size curves instead of the full-size ones, and connecting those with a bit of straight track between them.

Also, what is the purpose of the hidden spurs at top left? If that is for staging, I'd suggest losing the turnout and just leaving it as a single track spur. Less potential for hassle, and the short spurs won't hold much anyways.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Thanks
    Thanked 8,431 Times in 2,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What WP&P said...
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 409 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa. So this is a very cool track plan, and will likely look awesome if you build it, but also...

36" wide modules are going to be large, heavy, and hard to transport. People do, so don't let me completely discourage you, but it will add some difficulty.

The larger issue is that tunnel. Remember that in a modular layout everyone else will be running their questionable quality locomotives and cars over your modules. They will stall and derail in your tunnel. You will have to find a way to make it easily accessible to retrieve these things, clean the track, etc. I've pondered the problem with a module idea I have that includes a long tunnel, and even considered including a small CCTV camera so people can see their train is moving when it is in there. You have options with the benchwork design and such, so again this shouldn't be a blocker, but some serious design consideration is required.
    --
    Leo Bicknell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 912 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bicknell View Post
    The larger issue is that tunnel. Remember that in a modular layout everyone else will be running their questionable quality locomotives and cars over your modules. They will stall and derail in your tunnel. You will have to find a way to make it easily accessible to retrieve these things, clean the track, etc.
    And having turnouts in that tunnel WILL make the problems Leo describes above worse.

People will forget to throw the turnouts.
    Equipment will pick the turnouts.

Some of the most spectacular model railroad derailments I have ever seen have been trains picking turnouts in tunnels.

Paul

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worked a little bit this morning to smooth out the curves. I used 11" radius curves, and probably could go a little larger if needed.
    It definitely gives it a much more natural flow.

Smoothed curves.JPG
    @WP&P They are there just because there was empty space and it wouldn't hurt to have another place to pull something off. I went ahead and removed the second switch.
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pbender View Post
    And having turnouts in that tunnel WILL make the problems Leo describes above worse.
    So the tunnel is going to be the back side of the layout, meaning that the public will not be back there. I had planned on having the tunnel be easily accessible by having large portions of it exposed (also to help reduce some weight). I would attach "covers" with Velcro so that they can easily be accessed.

Some of the most spectacular model railroad derailments I have ever seen have been trains picking turnouts in tunnels.
    I'm sure!!! Hopefully no LPPs were harmed in any of the wrecks!
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RailKing50 View Post
    So the tunnel is going to be the back side of the layout, meaning that the public will not be back there. I had planned on having the tunnel be easily accessible by having large portions of it exposed (also to help reduce some weight). I would attach "covers" with Velcro so that they can easily be accessed.
    Do Bendtrack modules really have fronts and backs?one of the reasons for the symmetrical design is so they can be spun 180 degrees in the layout.

Unlike N-trak, bendtrack modules are not expected to be used in loops, so the layout can snake through the space in interesting ways. We do the same thing with Free-moN modules.

Paul

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worked a little bit this morning to smooth out the curves. I used 11" radius curves, and probably could go a little larger if needed.
    It definitely gives it a much more natural flow.
    You should probably go back to the drawing board on those s curves.

The bendtrack track standards ( http://www.bendtrack.com/trackwork.htm ) give a 16" minimum radius for the outside track and a 14.5" minimum radius for the inside track.

If you don't stick to the required standards, a layout coordinator has every right to refuse to use a module in a layout.

Modules that don't meet the track work and electrical standards ( especially ) reduce the play value for everyone involved.

Paul

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You should probably go back to the drawing board on those s curves.

The bendtrack track standards ( http://www.bendtrack.com/trackwork.htm ) give a 16" minimum radius for the outside track and a 14.5" minimum radius for the inside track.

If you don't stick to the required standards, a layout coordinator has every right to refuse to use a module in a layout.

Modules that don't meet the track work and electrical standards ( especially ) reduce the play value for everyone involved.

Paul
    @pbender is correct! (For the most part!)
    Our spec calls for nothing less than 14.5" minimum radius on EITHER mainline.
    Anything less than this, can and will cause problems. Your trains may be able to negotiate your tracks, but others may not.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Problem solved, 15" curves on mainline (in blue) and 13.7" (in red) on the inner loop!
    V. 3.1.JPG
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also bought some items for these modules today on my hobby shop run.

20170506_185927.jpg

20170506_190805.jpg
    Loved the look of this Mobilgas station!

20170506_190849.jpg
    So every business is going to have some significance, named for someone in my life. I'm not sure what this Farm supply business will become, but it looked like a great building that could serve many purposes.

I picked up the pamphlet for Woodland Scenic's "Just Plug" lighting system. Wiring is not my forte, so I would be willing to pay a little extra if it was as easy as they are claiming. Time to do some homework.
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Problem solved, 15" curves on mainline (in blue) and 13.7" (in red) on the inner loop!
    Perfect!
    You'll be much happier now.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Anything less than this, can and will cause problems. Your trains may be able to negotiate your tracks, but others may not.
    OH, I see, I was reading the part that said "to maintain 1.5" track centers" you use 16" for one curve and 14.5" for the other.

Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

OH, I see, I was reading the part that said "to maintain 1.5" track centers" you use 16" for one curve and 14.5" for the other.

Paul
    Exactly!

Just like this

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other then the concern about the switch in the tunnel, has anyone noticed anything else to be looked at?
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision

Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

One more small thing to look at, another set of "S" curves.
    The ones in the upper right and lower left.

Maybe move these one section closer to the module splice if possible?
    You might have issues coming out of the inner loop and going to the inner main, or vice versa.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post: