Thread: Happy L Day!🚇

Thanks
    Thanked 7,540 Times in 4,397 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Happy L Day!🚇

Today on June 6, 1892 the Chicago L started operations on the Chicago & South Side Rapid Transit line. The Porter (0-4-4) pulled trains traveled north and south between Congress and 39th Street. Not too many years later the steam locos were retired when the equipment was converted to 3rd rail electrical power.

Check out http://www.chicago-l.org/ for just about anything you might want to know about Rapid Transit around Chicagoland. Visit the photo section for lots of modeling ideas!

The TV channel Decades http://www.decades.com/ has a nice blurb on their Through The Decades Show, today.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool! I have always had an odd interest in highlines of any sort. A combination of the Chicago L and NY City's highline are inspiration for a future layout. Just need time, money and space.
    Stogie

Thanks
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Space is one of the advantages of a traction layout.

Unlike steam(diesel) railroads, you do not need huge curves. The inside curve on the Chicago Loop is 90 feet or 6.75 inches. Also a rapid transit train passing by every so often that looks exactly the same as the previous one looks absolutely correct. My L cars look fine running on Tomix Mini Fine Track with it's 103mm and 140mm curves.

My favorite plan for a prototype run is to duplicate the Transient Hotel scenes from the Blues Brother movie. To simulate the high traffic volume. They had the L cars travel back and forth on just a half block of track. The length of the whole layout would be about two feet by six inches. A layout in single square foot!

But don't confuse the New York Central's Highline with the Chicago L or NYC El(subway). The Highline was steam freight tracks not rapid transit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I saw an article on the Highline some years back and I have been wanting to make my own version since. A few years later I saw the L, and loved the structural design. So what I want to build is basically the NYC Highline concept, with the structural elements pulled from the L and other elevated trackage. One idea is a busy commercial/industrial area with some buildings serviced by the highline and others by road level tracks. I doubt there is a prototype, but hey, it'll be my layout.
    Stogie

General area of central Alabama, Birmingham
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 472 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello
    Excellent links. Interesting information. I'm from Brooklyn so I'm partial to elevated subways.
    Se ya
    Ron
    "Men go and come,
    but earth abides." Ecclesiastes 1:4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 69Z28 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what was the date of first electric operation on the L?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's the details...
    • The Columbian Intermural Railway (Colombian Exhibition/World Fair) was built using third rail power in 1893. It used powered cars pulling trailers. Shared a station with the Alley L.
    • Lake Street Elevated was electrified in 1895. Using power cars and trailers.
    • Metropolitian West Side Elevated was built in 1895 using third rail power and power cars with trailers.
    • The C&SSRT was converted to third rail power in 1898. First railroad of any kind to use MU control of equipment.

A quick look at my reference books (mostly pictures) didn't have exact dates. The World Fair did open on May 1st.