Thread: San Francisco Terminal on a door

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default San Francisco Terminal on a door

This is my first take at a conversion of a guy user from TrainPlayer named Bill's (Paulton?) passenger folly.

I converted it to Kato Unitrack and fit it to a 36"x80" hollow core door. It's still a clock-wise one way system which I am fine with, unless I just want to see trains run the loop.

My concept is a 1955 San Francisco 3rd & Townsend terminal, but SP bought the original FM Train Masters for the Commute instead of sending them in a year or 2 later, and the SF to LA Coast trains are still popular and pulled by GS-4s.

I lose the second loop and some of the more subtle angles, but I could possibly do more around the engine facility. But a roundhouse would need to exclude the GS4s.

The smallest radius is a single 249mm 15deg in the turn into the terminal flanked by 282mms. The loops are 381/348 and 315 for the access siding. All yard curves are 481 and #4 turnouts.

Any feedback would be welcome, including gotchas I don't see coming? Or if there are other items I could add without making it to crowded.

Thanks, Ed

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ecfitzgerald For This Useful Post:

General area of central Alabama, Birmingham
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 472 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello
    Nice door layout and should be fun to run.

For me my personal preference is a little more factory/business. I would remove the Long distance track and put 2 to 3 business type buildings there.

I would also modify the two track fuel and sand delivery into a small town area, Then add a 1 track fuel and sand delivery track with a LH turnout off the main yard track.

But these are just things I would consider if it were my layout. But it's your Railroad, so go with your vision.

I'm not good at the spotting the gotchas. Thats why I got nailed a couple of times. So I'll leave that to other folks with more experience.

But even as is, I like it. It's a good layout.
    See ya
    Ron
    "Men go and come,
    but earth abides." Ecclesiastes 1:4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 69Z28 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 844 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally like long running trains and less operations. I think the plan looks good.
    "It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 7,808 Times in 4,484 Posts
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would suggest adding another long distance platform track.

While the three tracks at the REA/Post Office facility seems excessive to me, maybe convert one to a commissary track. This would add a little action by switching the various food service cars as well.

Do you really need two stubs for unloading fuel and sand? By eliminating one track, you might gain enough space for a tiny bit of jog. Shortening the commuter tracks would give you some space to remove the short straights in the outside tracks behind/under the station. It wouldn't be much but it would break up the outside parallels. It might be also possible to gain some room for the jog, by rearranging the crossovers.

While a roundhouse and turntable can chew up half a door, if you want to be able to turn locomotives, consider a fold-down turning wye. It can be left lowered until needed.

Now while you might just consider your design a single loop, it really does have the tracks, for running trains in two directions. You can convert the outside loop into a single track by swapping one crossover for a diamond. Like this design...

It also has non parallel sides, but you want the interior space more open for the station and service facilities. So the bump doesn't need to be so radical. The design gives you a nice long run by making the train go around three times before going back to the starting point.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have thought of doing a crossover from the outer to the yard track, and eliminating the inner to the yard, but kato's crossover make a larger track to track spacing. I think having 2 loops if I want out weights long runs, and the layout limits train lengths.
    I should say my train collections is a full 18 car Daylight and GS-4, a dozen wood/steel PFE reefers, 1 TTG Horse Baggage and 2 60ft TTG Express Baggage cars, and some Lark Sleepers and 2 Black Widow FM Train Masters. And I'd like to do early PMT TOFC. Here is version 2 of the layout that would let me play will all of that (well not all 18 cars on the daylight).

It still has the same passenger stuff, plus a post office to handle the Coast Mail, and the Del Monte cannery for the reefers (and box cars). I added a "coach shop", not sold on it, but also a run-around to facilitate getting coaches into it. Also reduces the Fuel and Sand delivery, but even that may go, could put in a low shed for transloading and switch the innermost TOFC track to that. Also added a caboose track. The engine servicing at 7th and Townsend was open air with a shop building next to it, the Fuel and Sand delivery could become that too.

Version2.jpg

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecfitzgerald For This Useful Post: