Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,366 Times in 1,577 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hallo, Jens.

I will be taking an excursion train from Hamburg to Dagebull tomorrow (Friday, 9 February). It is by the border of Denmark. Will only be there a couple of hours before returning to Hamburg. It is one of the excursions of this Modeleisenbahn group. Too bad we are not going as far as Copenhagen.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 675 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    I will be taking an excursion train from Hamburg to Dagebull tomorrow (Friday, 9 February). It is by the border of Denmark. Will only be there a couple of hours before returning to Hamburg. It is one of the excursions of this Modeleisenbahn group. Too bad we are not going as far as Copenhagen.
    What is it with me these days? I miss a lot of posts for me

I hope you had a good time at Dagebüll. The marsh area is a special place with the flat wetlands and the tide affecting life and everything there. The main line to Sylt has long been an excursion goal for enthusiasts because of the long-lived semaphore signals, but maybe they're gone by now. I know the line was due for an upgrade.

Meanwhile, I've joined an N scale club fairly close to home. They have a permanent layout at the HQ, and some members have modules according to Fremo standard, allowing the club to participate in meets. They have (access to) a workshop with woodworking tools, and the chairman of the club is a carpenter. Whatever reservations I've had regarding my skills for the exact wood work required for modules are now laid to rest.
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 827 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteamPower4ever View Post
    I hope you had a good time at Dagebüll. The marsh area is a special place with the flat wetlands and the tide affecting life and everything there. The main line to Sylt has long been an excursion goal for enthusiasts because of the long-lived semaphore signals, but maybe they're gone by now. I know the line was due for an upgrade.
    Yes, the semaphores are (mostly) gone from that line. But still, it's one of very few non-electric lines with long distance (InterCity) passenger trains, which makes for great photos without stupid lines through the skies (and sunset...)

Heiko

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a fine ride to and from Dagebüll! At the last Bahnhof where we changed trains, one of our guys stepped into the toilet just as we stopped. He thought he had long enough..... But it was only about a 45 second stop! We all got off, and the train took off with him still in the toilet.

Well, the rest of us walked over to the Dagebüll train, at a slightly different station. We had about a 30 minute wait. Sure enough, just before we pull out, here comes our guy running down the Bahnsteig. He had gotten off at the next station, bought a return ticket from the machine, and caught a train back. Then someone pointed him in the right direction. Pretty good for a fellow with no German language skills!

As for me, I enjoyed the bleak salt marshes around Dagebüll. I spent my teen years in the Tidewater area of Virginia, exploring the salt marsh estuaries and learning about the wildlife. We had a great lunch at the restaurant overlooking the Ferry docks.

There were quite a few cable operated signals north of Hamburg, and not just on our last leg. I was caught by surprise. I had not expected that. I looked down out the window and saw movement on what I initially thought were wires - and then realized they were cables. Then came the semaphore signals. Back to my childhood!

So, here is the train - diesel car - on Dagebüll Mole:

The yellow square around the window in the middle of the car indicates the "First Class" section.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, here is the train - diesel car - on Dagebüll Mole
    Ahh, now that picture from Dagebüll takes me back to my high school days.
    I'll start a new thread later when I get home, 'cause there's a story and a new subject here.
    I'm glad you had a good time.

- Adam Savage

Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 620 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found this thread, somehow I missed it early on. NTRAKer here with lots of module experience.

The longer module comments really are important for a yard. Installing the connecting track takes time at every set up and tear down, and those are also the interfaces that get damaged and need repair. I know at least two people who made NTrak yards with 4' modules (our standard length) and later scrapped them for ones made of 6' modules. I myself am planning a yard that uses 8' modules.

Of course transportation of longer modules is an issue. They don't fit in as many vehicles, and they often require two people to handle. Still, think very carefully about this before proceeding. I realize car culture is a bit different in Europe, so perhaps my suggestions are not practical. Consider if you can rent a trailer when you need to transport it. Consider if a larger vehicle is in order. Think carefully about how you can "stack" these modules to fit them into the space available.

That warning aside, shorter modules will work. They will just likely take more time to set up and need more repair over time. I do like the track plan overall. One thing to remember about yards for modular layouts is they don't get used like prototype yards much. People set up a train on a track, run around, and then want to park it for lunch. I think I've only seen a person doing yard operations once. Turntables end up used to display locomotives, not move them around. Just something to consider.
    --
    Leo Bicknell

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bicknell For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Leo, for getting us back to @SteamPower4ever's topic. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just meant to say a quick "hi," while I was in the "neighborhood."
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just meant to say a quick "hi," while I was in the "neighborhood."
    No offense taken
    I was going to get us back on track myself, but this thread is not going to get physical for a while anyway. I'm doing a bit of research first.

Quote Originally Posted by bicknell View Post
    Of course transportation of longer modules is an issue. They don't fit in as many vehicles, and they often require two people to handle. Still, think very carefully about this before proceeding. I realize car culture is a bit different in Europe, so perhaps my suggestions are not practical. Consider if you can rent a trailer when you need to transport it. Consider if a larger vehicle is in order. Think carefully about how you can "stack" these modules to fit them into the space available.

That warning aside, shorter modules will work. They will just likely take more time to set up and need more repair over time. I do like the track plan overall. One thing to remember about yards for modular layouts is they don't get used like prototype yards much. People set up a train on a track, run around, and then want to park it for lunch. I think I've only seen a person doing yard operations once. Turntables end up used to display locomotives, not move them around. Just something to consider.
    I have indeed been considering many of those issues. The current module size fit nicely in my car, I can stow them at home and I can handle them by myself. 1 meter is the recommended length here and I don't really want to rent a trailer. I expect to eventually go to meets in Sweden and Germany, and even though I stay within the EU, crossing the border with a rented trailer will raise insurance issues.
    Stacking is not an issue. I know exactly what to do ... a system used by a friend in large scale.

As for the yard, it serves many purposes. I know from experience that it could well be a parking lot and engine display, and I don't mind that at all. In fact I'm planning to use it as such for non-restricted shows, which is why the engine depot is designed as it is and why I have long yard tracks for my streamliners. Of course, should I drift into Fremo (which is likely), the layout and time table planners may use the yard for whatever purpose of the play, but as Fremo modules should have a "reason for being", I've tried to merge my own wishes with some sort of purpose - hence the branch line connecting to the dual track main. I do realise that I need at least one more booster if I want to have a bunch of engines sitting around just for the sake of looking purdy.
    So yeah, even though I certainly appreciate your warnings, I have given it a lot of thought.

On the recent meet that I attended, there was even Fremo-style and unrestricted operations mixed on the layout, and the two parts were separated by a helix. Fremo standard height and public exhibition standard height being 1300 mm and 1000 mm respectively. So you never know what time will bring, and I try to keep my options open.

- Adam Savage

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a while since there has been any activity here, but the dream is very much alive. With a little luck I can start building the modules this spring, and meanwhile I have been refining the track plan. This is version 28, but there has been lots of interim versions along the way. That means every little kink has been polished away, and I'm guite happy with this version.

Accepting that I am probably going to need a trailer anyway, the module length has been changed to 1200mm. That gave me a surprising amount of freedom to design a nice flow. The concept is still a yard where a single track branch line joins a two-track main line. That's the excuse anyway. At the end of the day it's a display and storage for my rather long trains that don't fit any other modules on the meets I have attended so far. Which is why I haven't bothered with a yard lead long enough to do any switching - unless of course there's a branch line attached and the yardmaster is using that.

This is the west end of the yard. Access to and from the main line and a runaround track leading back to the depot.

The east end of the yard with the ladder leading to the exit/entrance and access to the main and the branch line.
    The depot has two entrances - one from the east end runaround track at the bottom and one just before the yard lead becomes the branch line with access to the main.
    The depot holds various facilities for refueling and servicing as well as storage/parking tracks. The three-stall roundhouse is used for minor repairs. I'm not sure that the Walthers workshop will fit anywhere. Time will show.

As I said, hopefully this spring ...

- Adam Savage

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,971 Times in 714 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's about 50 module-to-module track joints. Did you find a way to take some of the pain out of connecting them?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 3,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure that the Walthers workshop will fit anywhere.
    Use it as a cutaway that is up against the layout edge. Make it so that you see the interior, and you will likely be able to get a double-length building out of the kit since you don't need a back wall (use it to make the front longer). Of course, doing so means that you're on the hook to do a detailed shop interior.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    That's about 50 module-to-module track joints. Did you find a way to take some of the pain out of connecting them?
    It's Fremo standard. Joints are not used. The modules are just aligned.

- Adam Savage

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Use it as a cutaway that is up against the layout edge. Make it so that you see the interior, and you will likely be able to get a double-length building out of the kit since you don't need a back wall (use it to make the front longer). Of course, doing so means that you're on the hook to do a detailed shop interior.
    Cool suggestion - Thanks :-)
    I'm a bit worried about structures along the module edges and perhaps more inclined to bash something on the "north" side of the roundhouse.

- Adam Savage

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 3,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit worried about structures along the module edges
    You could make the back "wall" out of plexiglass / lean / acrylic / whatever and have it be a sheet that bolts onto the edge of the module, i.e. the building is removable and one of its walls laps down over the side to be bolted in place. Then you're protecting your delicate interiors while at the same time ensuring precise alignment.

Another option is to do the same, but with an opaque slab of material instead, so that you don't have to model a complex interior that might suffer damage from shows. Just build the half-building around a rigid fascia material that screws onto the layout's side.
    Last edited by WP&P; 13th Mar 2020 at 06:00 PM. Reason: "lexan" not "lean"

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@WP&P that is a nice option. It's on the operator's side of the modules, and I don't yet know how much protection I need/want on that side. The reach police, you know ... but surely an option. Oh, and I wouldn't mind a detailed interior one bit. In fact I am planning to do it in the roundhouse, including interior lighting.

- Adam Savage

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This post collects events that took place over several weeks if not months.

Having checked prices for cutting up the plywood sheets at a few woodfitters and at the local DYI market, it turns out the club has a connection to a woodfitter where we can - for the cost of a case of beer - borrow the workshop. With the help from the club chairman (who's a retired carpenter) and the cashier (who has built more than one module), I got the sheets cut up into all the pieces I need for my modules.

The top sheets:

The side and end pieces (and surplus scrap):

Time to put it all together.
    I walked a few circles around it at first, but using the pneumatic nail gun and a pair of angled vices, it all works out. Precision is key here, but using the angled vices, I can place the modules pieces correctly, and when I'm happy I can slide the side piece out a bit to apply white glue to the surfaces, slide it back in and nail it in place with one hand while guiding the top surfaces flush with the other hand.

Module #4 on the dining room tab ... er, I mean the work bench:

Modules #1 and #2 together on the floor:

Last edited by SteamPower4ever; 27th Jul 2020 at 06:04 PM.

- Adam Savage

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Construction! My favorite part besides running trains.
    Ryan B.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Specter3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Specter3 View Post
    Construction! My favorite part besides running trains.
    It is a wonderful time, isn't it?
    Historically I enjoy building the layout and when it works and is wired, I never seem to get any further. I look forward to seeing if modules will change that, as they'll enter a different context/layout each time.

Here's from right to left (the shells of) modules #1, #2, #4, #5 and #6 ready.
    #7 is a little trickier as it has the 45 degree corner, but it's coming around too.
    Modules #3A-3C can wait as they are basically just extensions.

- Adam Savage

32. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Module #7 was - as expected - a bit of a challenge, but with a bit of patience and perseverance I managed to get the angles right and straight. A first attempt failed miserably, so it does need slightly more spit and polish before painting than the other modules do, but it's going to be fine. The most important thing is that the geometry is right.

- Adam Savage

34. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking I'd leave the last three modules for later, but now that I had the tools out ...

- Adam Savage

36. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post: