Thread: Socal UP Line V2

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socal UP Line V2

Hi all,

I'm not happy with my current layout. Some bad benchwork and track laying has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. It's time to wash that taste out with a fancy new version that incorporates everything I've found to like in MRRing.

My goals

• Operations: gotta have stuff to do, so lots of industries that need cars
    • Loads: going with operations, my son and I love loading/unloading cars so we need SQF dedicated for 'load storage'.
    • Prototypical: I live in Riverside, CA and I swear So Cal is the mecca for trains. I have endless places to take ideas from.
    • Go somewhere, come back: I'm tired of going around in circles. The return loops keep getting in the way of industries, yards, and anything else that needs space.
    • Yard: Ya gotta have one, I want something big but not to big.
    • Modern Era: I'm livin in today.

I've been playing with several ideas in Railmodeller Pro, it's so-so, but gives me a good idea of what I can/can't do.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.36.54 PM.png

Operations:

I have 10 industries (I think), 1 container yard, 1 staging/storage yard, 1 loco facility, 1 box car repair facility, and what I think is a sand facility.

I think that's a lot of operations. Most industries have multiple tracks, so some switching per each, taking cars to/from the yard, to/from other towns, to/from other industries.. Sounds like hours of fun right there.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.37.25 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.38.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.38.17 PM.png

Loads:

I'm modeling the Weyerhaeuser center near me and it has loads for days. The place next door (maybe a different business I dunno yet) holds a bit more track, and a nice space for loads.

I have a spot to the left as well for some track and more load storage, going less prototypical here as I wanted to squeeze in more industries.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.39.40 PM.png

Prototypical:

I had no clue about this when I first started and the more I learn the more I want it to be "prototypical". So using the Inland Empire as my canvas I scoured Google Maps for hours trying to find something I liked. Months ago I settled on Bloomington, CA as there are some large yards in the area but I had no interest in the rest of it. Now I go back to see Slover Ave and Live Oak Ave fit nearly perfect with my layout, some minor adjustments to track placement for Live Oak Ave, but for the most part it seems like it lays out fairly well.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.40.18 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.40.55 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.41.20 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.41.36 PM.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0564.../data=!3m1!1e3

Yard idea for loco/car facilities
    https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0645.../data=!3m1!1e3

Go somewhere, come back:

I really got tired of the endless loop so I had planed to extend the layout another 15' or so, across the room and back. After bashing my head on the desk for hours trying to come up with a viable design that allowed all my requirements I gave up on the loop and decided to do a 2 level turn around. The main line goes down, turns around, and comes back. When it goes down it runs along the outside for about 9' where I can load/unload/remove/add cars that 'went to town', and when the trains return -- they return empty or with a different load.

No more loop it around 10x to pretend it went some where, it actually goes some where out of sight, and comes back.. Awesome.

I plan a 2" level difference. I have given my inclines 100" or so and am happy with anything ~3degrees, so I think I have some wiggle room.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.42.40 PM.jpg

Work in progress..

Up next is my bench work. No matter what I draft up on the computer it will need to fit in the same space. So in the next few days I'll be off collecting 1x4s to start building the frame and continuing to tweak the design.

I'd love to hear your opinion and suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yard

Yard and a Y for turning around.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.50.31 PM.png

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something a bit more like this for the lower level, the earlier turnaround was just a tmp for fitment, this one allows longer trains, and to run around in circles hidden Say it needs to go 100miles vs 500, it could go around X vs XX times..
    Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 11.24.17 PM.png

And a small (73") siding for staging cars
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I had all those images inline.. but yea, editing fubard em.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 950 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bro...I beg you...for this new layout, PLEASE make sure your mainline radius curves are no smaller than 15". Trust me, you will be a happy N scaler for the rest of the life of your layout if you do that!

Quick & dirty tip: If you get a hold of HO scale snap track, N scale flex fits between the HO rails, and you can use that as a jig for shaping your radius curves (CA the bottom of the rails to the ties every few ties if you're using Atlas flex, otherwise you can use Micro Engineering flex and it will hold its shape).

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off subject.

Wow! Many many moons ago (1973), I used to live out in Riverside. I lived off Jurupa, and then later off Tyler St., just up the road from Tyler St. mall. Man, how that place has changed! I don't recognize it any more.

Back on subject.

The layout looks like a lot of fun and a tremendous build. Looking forward to seeing the progress of it! Good luck!!!
    N-joy!
    Tred - (USN-Ret.)
    Kansas City, KS
    (Sent using @ 1000Mbps)
    "No matter where you go, there you are!"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroRedLn View Post
    PLEASE make sure your mainline radius curves are no smaller than 15".
    Way ahead of you bro!

I did all 19" on the mainlines except the top level left side, that is 11"s in the design software, but hope to be 16" radiuses.

It's hard to draw radius flex curves with RailModeller Pro, maybe they'll update that before I lay track, that'd be nice.

I planned on using Atlas Code 80 again, despite not liking it very much, I have about 60 turnouts so.. It'd be nice to match.

I was looking at one of those flex track holders before

s-l300.jpg
    For $21 it might be worth it, I do have quite a bit more track to lay this time around.

Thanks for the comments.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 950 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socalup View Post
    Way ahead of you bro!

I did all 19" on the mainlines except the top level left side, that is 11"s in the design software, but hope to be 16" radiuses.

It's hard to draw radius flex curves with RailModeller Pro, maybe they'll update that before I lay track, that'd be nice.

I planned on using Atlas Code 80 again, despite not liking it very much, I have about 60 turnouts so.. It'd be nice to match.

I was looking at one of those flex track holders before

s-l300.jpg
    For $21 it might be worth it, I do have quite a bit more track to lay this time around.

Thanks for the comments.
    Congrats! You can run everything on your new layout now! Bring on the body mounted 89' cars!

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreams can come true

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let the benchwork begin

Couple supports for the 40x60 corner table waiting for the drill to recharge, was 40x40 in design.. it grew a lil :P

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the tables installed

'

I was worried I wouldn't have enough room to get in/out of bed and/or bang my head, but it seems to work just fine, no head bangin, tho some padding would be good just incase.

+1 being single and able to take over your entire bedroom, at least there is one perk to it.

Now to the next step, track bed for the lower level..

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,537 Times in 4,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dreams are great things, but they often get destroyed by reality.

Even though this new design seems like it will be more fun than the last and you think you have gotten rid of the flaws of the first, you haven't. The big problem is that too much of the layout is visible from any one point. Unless you have some huge structures that act as viewblocks to hide parts, you will still see too much of it. Those huge areas of open space for parking trucks will work against you. You will still see the trains all the time. The layout will be much better if you do more hints of huge storage yards. It will also be easier on the wallet. Not so many hundreds of details to buy or make. Emphasize the tracks, not big storage lots.

Despite being on the flat plains of the Midwest, my Chicagoland layout is broken up visually by raised areas. By using Chicago's Railroad Right of Way Separation Ordinance as an excuse. Some of my tracks run on berms that break up my 6.5x7 layout into smaller visual zones. The Downtown area was actually built over a staging yard that simulates Union Station. This also hides the train as it goes through the "below surface" track. Because I would run trains from a seated position, I could not see the entire layout from any point around the island benchwork.

Now concerning the lower level, two inches below the surface, just isn't enough depth for anything but the trains. Forget touching them. There isn't enough space for your fingers, let alone be able to lift anything. Four inches is considered an absolute minimum. This gives you space for your fingers and a way to lift one car over another. If you think the Reach Police are harsh, they are absolutely draconian when it comes to multiple levels. You will need good access to the underground tracks on the far side of the layout.

Having the train orbit, out of sight is sorta ridiculous. Similar to the actors going off stage then running around the theater until their next cues. When the trains exit the main layout, just park them. That's what staging yards are for. The trains wait on tracks, ready to come back. Now they can be stored sequentially or on parallel tracks. Parallel tracks allow you random access to the parked trains. Sequential storage is a single track, the trains parked nose to tail. The trains can only be run one at a time. This assures you don't see the same train all the time.

Have you exported a SILF file and used it in iRunTrains? Then you will get a better idea before you find out if you'll enjoy the new plan.

By the way, why spend any money on a gadget to form a radius with flex track. You can make any size by just cutting a simple template. Cardboard or mounting board, yardstick, pencil, nail and cutting tools are needed. Use the yardstick, nail and pencil as a compas and draw an arc on the board. Make the line your radius minus the difference between the centerline of the track and the edge of the ties. Then cut the arc out. Bend your flex along the edge of the template and attach to your layout.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And some MDF for the track.. Now to go over ChicagoNWs comments

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Unless you have some huge structures that act as viewblocks to hide parts, you will still see too much of it.
    The areas I have mapped out have pretty large buildings that take up a considerable amount of area, and height. The open areas, while still plentiful, will be less then the building areas, so it might be an even balance. The top layer will still needs some work to match the prototype better, I'll be getting to that soon and would love to see if you still feel the same after its updated.

two inches below the surface, just isn't enough depth for anything but the trains.
    That was my original idea, just trains, around the edge where I could sort-of reach them, and an open bottom for accidents.

Then I thought about how I would do the actual incline and decided on Woodland Scenics 2% Incline Risers, I have the space needed for the length, and the 4" takes care of everything else.

So 4" it is

Having the train orbit, out of sight is sorta ridiculous.
    I thought it would be fun, tho not likely to occur, was just an idea of pretending to 'go the distance'.

I updated it to have a siding, and left room for 4-5 more tracks for a staging yard.

Have you exported a SILF file and used it in iRunTrains?
    I had no idea about that, but Railmodeller does not seem to support it, tho it looks like it once did.

By the way, why spend any money on a gadget to form a radius with flex track.
    Yea, I've bailed on buying that.

Thanks for the comments!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,537 Times in 4,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Although I have been using RailModeller since System 9, I haven't been able to play with the Pro version, my Mini is just too old.

Has Jan got the 3D structure thing working yet? If so, then look at possible sight lines in a preview. If not, since these are large structures, you might be able to do a variant of how I create terrain and backdrops. By placing tracks at different heights on a hidden layer.

http://www.nscale.net/forums/album.p...chmentid=87511

With my practice of hidden tracks, I have created terrain, both above and below the track. With not too much effort, I've even simulated walls and the height of the benchwork, in a room. By placing a high track right next to a low one, a clean sharp wall can be created. Making large flat areas can become tedious, but the results can be fantastic. If you use another brand of track for terrain, it is easier to ignore on the Parts List.

Another thing I do is use the old Aurora Bus Roads for drawing streets. But I see that the Track Library now includes Tomix Wide Tram Track and their Moving Bus System. Both an excellent way to add roads to the track plan. Also check out the Symbol libraries for all kinds of bits and pieces to enhance the plan.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Jan got the 3D structure thing working yet?
    He's got a basic 3d view working, it's given me a good perspective but without baseboard, buildings, etc, it leaves a lot to guess.

I'm not certain how to add more elevation, everything here is flat and all the areas I'm after modeling are pretty much open spaces.

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 10.06.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 10.06.48 PM.jpg

Some sort of wall to seperate the areas would be cool, but they are pretty much down the street, so I'm a bit lost as to what I could do there.

Got my laptop area installed and wired much nicer then before

Made a lil inside shelf to hide the electronics and started to run the bus wire till the drills battery died.

Attached Images Attached Images

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,469 Times in 951 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for a second battery! Can't slow the railroad down!
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shelled out a few extra $$ at the LHS to get get this bottom layer goin

Along with 1 wye and a hand full of flex track.

Guess I needed some plaster cloth too, didn't think about the gaps in the riser.

I've left 1 section off so its about 3.5" now, might make the extra .5" depending on how the top changes.

Printed the layout 1:1 and wow, that was awful. No way to make sense of it, so looks like good 'ol math will do. So far so good with the radiuses.

Now to decide on a color for the bottom, thinking a charcoal color.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decided on black instead, matches decor more

Planning now on using poster board for the inside and to cover the exposed framework as well as the risers.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting to lay track

37. The Following User Says Thank You to socalup For This Useful Post: