Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Atlas to Produce New Sound-Enabled Engine Model: GP39-2 Locomotive

Atlas GP39-2 Locomotive.
    The Santa Fe amassed the largest original fleet (106 units) of this turbocharged
    12-cylinder 645E3 diesel engine.

On October 4, 2017, Atlas announced that it will produce a completely new engine model, the GP39-2 Locomotive, a fuel-efficient alternative to the popular GP38-2. Until now, this model has never before been made in plastic. Similar to other engine product announcements from the Hillside, New Jersey-based company, this loco will be available with and without built-in DCC-Sound functionality.

Produced under Atlas' Master® Line Locomotives brand, this release will include both Atlas Master Silver (MSRP $139.95) and Atlas Master Gold (MSRP $249.95) versions with a pre-order date of Wednesday, November 1, 2017 and an estimated delivery of 2nd Quarter 2018.

More Sound-Enabled Locos
    This announcement marks the fifth Atlas engine release to include factory-installed sound capabilities. In recent months, the company has announced a number of loco re-releases, all with built-in sound functionality. In September 2017, Atlas announced a re-release of its N SD-35 Locomotive, with and without built-in DCC-Sound functionality, in a new paint scheme and with new road numbers.

Back in May 2017, Atlas also announced a re-release of its GP38-2 locomotives in new paint schemes / road numbers with and without built-in DCC-Sound functionality.

In the spring in March 2017, Atlas announced the re-release of C-628 and C-630 locos. Please see our blog, Atlas Continues to Embrace DCC-Sound: C-628/630 Locomotive.

Previously it produced S2 switchers -- all sound-enabled.

Road names and Road Numbers
    This engine will be available undecorated and come in 6 road names /paint schemes and 12 road numbers.

Some engine features include: golden-white LEDs, directional lighting, scale speed motor and Atlas Master® Gold version features ESU LokSound Decoder. For the first time ever, the Atlas Master® Silver version is Sound Ready and equipped with speaker for easy conversion to DCC sound.

Standardized sound/DCC modules?
    Clearly Atlas and other model train manufacturers are wholeheartedly embracing the industry trend of offering sound-enabled locos. But according to our talks with Atlas (Paul Graf) and InterMountain (Doug Dollof) at the June N Scale Enthusiast Pittsburgh Convention, we learned that these companies are also working with sound-component manufacturers to come up with a standardized form factor (sound/DCC module) similar to the European NEM651 that would work in both of their engine models. The NEM651 works across a variety of engines and makes it possible for modelers to use a standardized DCC module in different locos from different manufacturers. Currently, most DCC-ready locos each require a different, unique decoder. As of the writing of this blog, we put a call out to Atlas to learn more about this and will keep you posted.

Here is a link to the Atlas website.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE: We heard back from Atlas who explained "The decoder that will be used in our GP39-2 is to be the exact same as used in the InterMountain SD40-2 (with appropriate sound file)." In September, 2017 InterMountain announced plans to re-release SD40-2 as Bicentennial NSE Special Run.

Thanks for the quick reply Atlas!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gdmichaels For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, another geep. I'm sure it will be a lovely model and I'l prolly grab a few over time, but come on, Atlas. Throw us steam guys a bone. Factory DCC re-run of the Shay when? 3 truck Shay with sound when?
    Welcome to the AHHR, where Steam and Diesel work together!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 636 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's pretty cool they're going to use the same decoder. I'd like to see more of that, a couple different decoder size/shapes that everybody adopts. I'd think the DCC manufacturers would like it too. They would be able to offer different feature levels and price points with way less effort to engineer.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Santa Fe had the biggest fleet of GP39-2s Atlas will be getting some of my money this time.

I'd like to see them retool the only diesel they haven't done DCC ready, the RS1, after all they have made an S2 with DCC and sound.

I agree with the last poster. U.S. N scale manufacturers have so far, for the most part, gone down an ad hoc road to DCC with each manufacturer and even different locos from the same manufacturer using almost custom made light board replacement decoders rather than standard sockets like the European and British manufacturers. When you buy a Fleischmann, Trix, Graham Farish or Dapol loco it truly is 'plug n play'.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 526 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They screwed up the kodachrome, the SF should be on the right not the left.
    :bottle::bottle::gdl::mp15:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    I was hoping this might only be an error on the artwork that would be caught before production started but my Kodachrome GP39-2 was waiting for me when I arrived back from vaction today and the 'SF' on the fireman's side is indeed in the wrong location.

I guess easily fixed with some paint and decals if it bothers me but still, not good Atlas.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    Shouldn't paint so fast...

*scnr* Heiko