277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    OK, OK, I'll get a digital pull tester!

Cheers,
    -Mark
    Well, it's about time.
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! Yeah! And when will we see data for ALL the locos on your website???!!!! C'mon, we're waiting!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 2,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    LOL! Yeah! And when will we see data for ALL the locos on your website???!!!! C'mon, we're waiting!!!

You want to help pay for them?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aw c'mon, it's for the advancement of railroad science! LOL!!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westfalen View Post
    I sometimes think MR's product reviews are no more than disguised advertising. In the decades I've been reading MR I can't recall reading a bad review about anything yet when you look at the forums and sites like spookshow's you see a list of things as long as your arm wrong with the same product. It is interesting, though admittedly with a bit of hindsight, to look in back issues at reviews that give a glowing report of some of the junk we used to get in N scale in the 70's.
    Mmhm. I think it boils down to sites like Mark's not needing donations of review samples from the companies to function. Mark, far as I know, buys every locomotive he puts on that site out of his own pocket. It doesn't matter if he gives a certain loco a horrible review, they can't do anything to stop him from getting the next piece. But they can say 'Well, Model Railroader, you gave our last loco a horrible review, so we're not going to send you a review sample'.

This sort of nonsense is so prevalent in gaming that the general media over there is reviewed as an absolute joke. No gamer who's in the know is going to take their reviews at face value because we all know full well they're basically just paid shills for AAA games and don't give indie outfits the time of day unless some big publisher takes note or they make a HUGE splash that drowns out AAA releases. That's why IGN NEVER gives a AAA game less than 7/10, why they almost always give them 8s and 9s regardless of whether or not the product actually deserves it. I wouldn't at all be shocked to learn the same thing is going on here to an extent. Maybe not as bad as in gaming...review copies are life-and-death for gaming media because success and failure of the company tends to revolve around being the first or second piece published on a given topic every single time, something that likely isn't at play with model railroading...but I'd genuinely be shocked to learn that the companies here weren't leaning on the mags a bit to fluff reviews up with the threat of pulling free review samples if they don't comply.
    Welcome to the AHHR, where Steam and Diesel work together!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 678 Posts
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyC6 View Post
    Mmhm. I think it boils down to sites like Mark's not needing donations of review samples from the companies to function. Mark, far as I know, buys every locomotive he puts on that site out of his own pocket. It doesn't matter if he gives a certain loco a horrible review, they can't do anything to stop him from getting the next piece. But they can say 'Well, Model Railroader, you gave our last loco a horrible review, so we're not going to send you a review sample'.
    I do buy all the locomotives I review, although I have been offered free samples on a number of occasions (I think mainly as a gesture of gratitude rather than bribery). But to avoid any potential conflict of interest, I've politely declined all such offers (at least so far, lol).

-Mark

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyC6 View Post
    I think it's a Kalmbach thing. British magazine Model Rail, and others over there operate on the same principle as Model Railroader in that they are given or loaned models by manufacturers and yet they pull no punches picking out even the smallest things they find wrong.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westfalen View Post
    I think it's a Kalmbach thing. British magazine Model Rail, and others over there operate on the same principle as Model Railroader in that they are given or loaned models by manufacturers and yet they pull no punches picking out even the smallest things they find wrong.
    I think, if it exists, it is just a recent thing - I recall letters to MRR in the early oughts from manufactures complaining about nitpick reviews while others praising IIRC at least Jim Heidiger for his tough reviews. I am am willing to bet that many unsatisfactory products given to MRR did not make it into the limited column inches in MRR for Reviews.