Popcorn out and following along

Thanks
    Thanked 14,960 Times in 4,214 Posts
    Mentioned
    566 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Digitallagasse

Very nice! Thank you for sharing your build progress. Rather like your approach to building up the landscape and providing decent access where you can...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 257 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I got in some more work on one of the hills. The layout is starting to really get transformed. I used the stiffer news print paper to rough over the hill form. The edges were temp held in place by pins. Some of the hill was going to be a bit tricky so I wanted to rough in first before the plaster sheets went over it. The news print was also to help soak of drippings from the plaster sheet to minimize the mess within the hill.

IMG_3067-small.jpg IMG_3068-small.jpg

That said I also wanted to protect the track and tunnel liners inside the hill. I used scrap cardboard pinned in place to cover the tunnel liners. I then covered the cardboard with plastic bags. The track was covered with tape and the inside of the tunnel portals stuffed with plastic bags as well. Hopefully everything turned out to be protected enough. Want to see how things turn out with this hill before I do the second hill. That hill is more complicated so will take lessons learned from this hill for it.

IMG_3069-small.jpg

With that done on went the base layer of plaster sheets. I will only be going with a single layer of plaster sheets. The next layer will be scupltamold. Have a large bag on the way in a week or so. Keeping all the protective stuff in place in the hope to apply the scupltamold right away when it comes in. Also need to top out this hill and cover with plaster sheets before that point as well. May have it top out around 18 inches above the base foam.

IMG_3071-small.jpgIMG_3072-small.jpg

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,375 Times in 1,581 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That mountain is looking like a great place for a castle!
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son was born a little over a week ago. Been adjusting to having a baby in the house and my wife recovering. Things are starting to settle down, well mostly haha.

Been working on the layout a bit. It has also been some project time with my daughter. The baby mostly sleeps and eats so to her things are a bit boring right now. We got the top of the mountain built and covered with a layer of plaster cloth. My daughter helped me build it up out of tissue paper. She had an idea of making a little canyon. It is hard to see since everything is so white but it is in the second picture in the bottom left corner. Turned out pretty good. Most important she is happy with it.

IMG_3305-small.jpgIMG_3307-small.jpgIMG_3308-small.jpg

I got the scupltamold I ordered in. It is my first time working with it and to say the least I am impressed. It has been very easy to work with and I like the end results. I did a small section to get a feel for it. My daughter watched as I did it.

IMG_3310-small.jpg

Then I made a second batch. I got a step stool for her by the layout. I held her up and let her do another section of the hill. The below is the results of a 5 year old applying
    scupltamold. She had a really fun time doing it and is looking forward to helping me finish the hill. I think she did a better job than I did haha.

IMG_3313-small.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 668 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cograts on the birth of your son. Layout's look good
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 3,073 Posts
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congradulations on your new son, that is exciting for you and your wife. I trust both are doing well!

Oh, and your layout is looking great as well
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 228 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the bundle of joy that you your wife and daughter have been blessed with. Also the layout is looking good nice work by your little helper also. I remember when my daughter use to help me on the layout at that age and now she’s into YouTube videos and a step team in middle school. I miss those days and your pic of your daughter brought back memories for me. Thanks for sharing
    Life is Fragile. Live Everyday as if YOU Know Its Your Last.

You Only Live Once But If You Live It Right Once Is Enough.

20’x20’ Reggieville around the wall with peninsulas

Thanks
    Thanked 2,239 Times in 830 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations, and kudos for getting your older kid involved

Thanks for sharing,

Heiko

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,462 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the boy!!
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,094 Times in 4,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Congrats and start 'em young!
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,730 Times in 3,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Congratulations on the new bundle of joy!
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on all that's happened as of recently.

Let the sleepless nights begin lol.

Happy Holidays to you and your family

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new baby...Merry Christmas!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,960 Times in 4,214 Posts
    Mentioned
    566 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations on the wee addition to your household!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been able to make a lot of progress to start the year. The second hill was mostly built over dozens of 30 minute or so sessions. With the second hill in place the layout is now more balanced out.

IMG_3407-small.jpgIMG_3460-small.jpgIMG_3461-small.jpgIMG_3465-small.jpgIMG_3467-small.jpgIMG_3468-small.jpg

Like the first hill I start building with strips of cardboard. I still have a massive amount of cardboard on hand. I use hot glue to glue the strips in place. Several adjustments were made as some sections were far too steep and needed a change in design. I also have a section of hill to buy one of the tunnel portals I wanted to try something new. I still have a bunch of pink foam so I am giving it a try as well. Only have a rough shape so far and nothing glued down even at this point. Also start roughing in the hill going towards the next section. I then cover the cardboard strips with news print.

21. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Digitallagasse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next up was getting a layer of plaster cloth down and then sculpt-a-mold over that. I tried to skip a step and put the sculpt-a-mold directly on the newsprint. Quickly found out that wasn't a good idea. Much easier to apply to the semi-rigid plaster cloth. The news print pushed in and fell apart. Lesson learned I no longer skipped this step.

IMG_3496-small.jpgIMG_3497-small.jpgIMG_3498-small.jpgIMG_3499-small.jpgIMG_3500-small.jpg

So with the track and tunnels covered and protected in the same method as the previous hill I proceeded. I have found that plaster cloth alone just doesn't get a good final surface. That is even doing several layers. It only gets so smooth and has lots of limitations on what can be done to it. Really can't carve or sand it up. The string in the sheets stops that. No such limitation with the sculpt-a-mold and well it can be molded on when applied. fancy that. A single layer of sculpt-a-mold does leave a really rigid shell. With two layers the shell has some impressive strength. I like that strength for real size reasons. Without fail some people like to look with hands and not just eyes. Rather not have a cave in on the layout. Had some minor damage on a plaster cloth only area.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Digitallagasse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_3568-small.jpgIMG_3569-small.jpgIMG_3570-small.jpgIMG_3571-small.jpgIMG_3575-small.jpgIMG_3576-small.jpg

After the hill was covered with sculpt-a-mold I cleared all the covering off and clean everything up. Wanted to make sure I didn't have any problems. That and I need to go back and do some final detail mold in several areas. I also needed to make sure all the portals and building still fit. Needed to make some adjustments for a couple portals. Once the portals are glued in place I will do the final detailed molding around them. I want them to feel like they are built into the hills and not tacked on.

One fun thing turned out better than I hoped. That is the impact to the sound for sound locos. When a sound loco enters a tunnel the sound gets muffled fast. Fully in the hill most locos are very faint at worse. Then as the loco approaches the exit portal the sounds builds nicely before it exits. I was worried the hills wouldn't muffle the sound enough. My daughter likes when I run two trains with sound so she can follow the sounds as they go in and out of the hills. Also since the hills block the view the layout feels larger. With a train going both out of sight and running quiet it seems like it ran a longer distance. Guests even thought I was running three to four trains at the same time when I was only running two due to above things. View blocks are a very easy way a layout seem larger than it is.

I also learned a new trick for a train that contains both sound and non-sound locos in an MU. My test freight train is simply running a train with every freight car I have. On the branch line I need to run four locos. Three start to slip badly near the summit. Originally I had two AC6000s in front two SD-60Ms on the rear of the fout loco MU. The AC6000s have sound the SD-60Ms don't. Once the AC6000s entered a tunnel it would seem like the SD-60Ms were dead due to the lack of having sound. So I moved the SD-60Ms to middle and book ended them with the AC6000s. That way it appeared that all the power was working. When I get a chance I will make a video showing this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has been awhile since I posted an update. The whole family ended up really sick. Based on symptoms while sick and lingering symptoms it is a high probability the family got COVID-19. We didn't qualify fir getting a test while sick. That lasted about three weeks. Wife still can barely smell or taste anything. I have still get extreme fatigue every few weeks that lasts a day or two. That said the family is otherwise doing good and healthy.

So shortly after recovering from being sick I ended up getting furloughed. The plus side was lots of extra free time. Was also able to spend a lot of time with my son. So I thought of it as extra baby time leave. The other plus side was plenty of time to make progress on the layout. The downside being the train budget dropped to zero. So I had to get creative on getting projects done with what I had or using anything i could get for free.

After several months on furlough I was called back. Haven't made much progress since then and the budget is still zero. I still have a lot of things I can get done on the layout with what I have. Then things will stop until I can get a budget going again. My apologies but I wasn't concentrating on taking my photos as I progressed. I did get a bunch but still need to get them edited. I will do a follow up post with those. I do have current pictures from today. The rocks still need a lot of work. At best many spots only have a base coat.

IMG_4482-small.jpgIMG_4483-small.jpgIMG_4484-small.jpg

Since it will likely be awhile before I have budget to complete the expansion area I decided to complete a loop with track I had. I used a mixed of sectional and flex to complete a loop. It is just randomly laid out. None of it is on feeders and amazingly still works well. Will likely need to add a feeder or two depending on how long I use it. The nice thing is how much it extends the run. That and it can function as additonal staging for now.

IMG_4486-small.jpgIMG_4487-small.jpg

26. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Digitallagasse For This Useful Post: