Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aurora Illinois & Western

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aurora Illinois & Western

I'm overdue for a new freelanced railroad concept, and I've got to say I think my idea is a lot better thought out than last time. (Last time being about two years ago, but this subforum is so lightly used you can see it just below on the list of posts.)

I call it the "Aurora Illinois and Western", or "AIW" for short. I imagine it runs from, you guessed it, Chicago to the Pacific. It's a Class I, although it's not quite as large as BNSF or UP.

I've designed several historical paint schemes, as selection of which you can see here: https://imgur.com/a/olNfn

Naturally I'm not the first person to model the AIW. A member of another model railroading community I frequent has started modeling a former AIW SD45 in HO scale, to be patched for his own freelanced railroad.

Let me know what you think! I of course would not be sharing this if I wasn't open to suggestions, so let me hear 'em.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dwwojcik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you be okay if I painted a couple of units from your road up for pool power.

What are the exact prefered colors your road would use in the 70's scheme(s).

What units would your road pool (gp's/sd's)
    Last edited by Vince P; 20th Dec 2017 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince P View Post
    Would you be okay if I painted a couple of units from your road up for pool power.
    Certainly, I'd be honored! I guess you can be my guinea pig, so I can know for certain if my designs work well in practice before I invest in painting some of my own.

I expect most if not all F units that survived until the 1970s would have been repainted into the 1964 scheme. However the AIW was bankrupt during this time (Thanks to the Penn Central) so they would not have been willing to repaint older locomotives into the then new grey scheme. The railroad's fortunes did improve after a few years so F units would have been retired and replaced with new SD40-2 and GP40-2s painted grey. Some more recent pre-bankruptcy power such as GP35s and SD45s would be painted grey over the course of the '70s as well.

I think any of these examples could reasonably be expected to be seen as run through power.
    Last edited by dwwojcik; 16th Dec 2017 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was thinking of a worn out original paint 1st generation fgp/sd unit weather beaten pair/trio of f's/gp/sd7/9's did your road own them and what #'s as the gp/sd's would be a local or transfer run to my road.

What #'s would your sd45's/sd40-2's be in.

Now onto the paint.

Got the dark gray thanks for letting me know that.

What shade of green do you use I have many greens including southern, BN, Hunter, and more,

Next what shade of gray do you use I have a ton of gray's from military to L&N, light primer gray, dark primer gray.

What kind of loco numbering system are you going to use HP (SD45-3600-3649 or 3650-3699 or like the csx 8900 upwards???? Or like BN 6400-6500 series.

Just want to do this right so need a lot of input from your end since it is your road ;>}
    Last edited by Vince P; 20th Dec 2017 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and to let you know my road is freelanced based off the BN Merger of the 1970's

Using the BN roster for the weathering.

Just moved so when I find it I have a gp38 mostly painted and ready for striping lettering and weathering.
    Last edited by Vince P; 20th Dec 2017 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided on a roughly chronological number class block system.

This chart probably won't account for every locomotive on the system at every point but it's a start at least.

An F unit in the 1964 livery would look something like this.

I can't really help you that much with the exact shade of paint seeing as I haven't painted this myself yet. I will point out that I haven't used any black on any of my drawings, anything that might look black is actually supposed to be very dark grey. Also anywhere there is even darker grey is just supposed to represent shadow to make the picture look nice, which in retrospect was a mistake since it's supposed to be a painting guide. There's just one dark grey.

That being said in practice black might actually look better so you're welcome to try it. Maybe do one of each, if the dark grey looks better just fade the black one, and if the black looks better call the dark grey one sun-bleached. As for the 1964- green, it's supposed to be a somewhat desaturated, slightly greyish green (as opposed to the bright green pre-1964) so the Southern or BN greens would probably be a bit too bright.

For the 1972 scheme any light and medium-dark greys would be fine, again use the drawings as a rough guide.

The nice thing about being the first to do this is that you can't really do it wrong!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay thats out of the way next on your agenda.

Do your F-units have 1 or 2 headlights, do your hood units have low nose/high cab headlights or both, do they have mars,gyra, or other lights on the front or rear as i want them to meet your standards.

Do your unit's have single horns (like the f-unit's), 3 chime, 5 chime hood unit's, Air conditioners ?, plows, no plows, spark arrestors, no spark arrestor, winter hatch over the fans, do any of your GP/SD-7/9's have wreck repairs involving chop noses,

I know a lot of questions to think about sitting here plotting the ideas so I can make a standardized list of details I will need.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F units came with either one or two headlights but mostly with one. Hood units have their headlights on the cab. No gyralights or mars lights on any locomotives, aside from the 2-lighted F units of course.

All early locomotives, probably up until the GP20, would have single chime horns, after which AIW switched to 3 chime horns. 5 chime horns were introduced with the SD50.

Air conditioners and chop noses wouldn't be added until the 1990s. Most engines would have snow plows, and early diesels probably up to the GP35 would have winterization hatches.

Hit me with any more questions you have, I'd need to figure this out eventually, there's no time like the present.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dwwojcik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

;>} still plotting I mean planning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about executive unit's is the AIW still retaining a couple of F's or E's for business duty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince P View Post
    What about executive unit's is the AIW still retaining a couple of F's or E's for business duty.
    bam

Don't worry I'm not a total savage, the F40PH will share OCS duty with some F's and maybe E's.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dwwojcik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh your evil.

;>} so evil are you young Jedi.

Strange I have a pair of F40's in undec with ditch lights cut into the nose before kato offered ditch light equipped F40ph's.

Ruuuuuh Rooooooh Raggy.

Found some passenger cars

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a cool looking unit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sharp paint schemes all around -- thank you for sharing! Just out of curiosity, is there anyplace to download the blank locomotive drawings to design paint schemes?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by atarimoe View Post
    Sharp paint schemes all around -- thank you for sharing! Just out of curiosity, is there anyplace to download the blank locomotive drawings to design paint schemes?
    Trainiax is one i know of

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Vince P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, Trainiax is where I got these.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dwwojcik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,568 Times in 4,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is where I find the ones I've used...
    http://paintshop.railfan.net/

Many of the drawings are a larger scale so they are easy to detail.

For an incredible selection of fonts and dingbats, check out www.DaFont.com They have a lot of fonts that can be used on the layout.

That F40 scheme is sharp, for everyday use. You might want to add some more striping for an executive train. I always like the BN scheme with the Green/Black body with the Orange/White chevrons on the nose. The blunt nose of the F40 is perfect for this. When they did the Es/Fs for commuter service the panel looked a little lost.

Will your F40, pull Gallery cars or standard passenger cars?
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good link, Trainiax has some really nice 1:18 drawings but there are many gaps which other sites can fill. The best F40PH they have is only 1:55, but I see that railfan.net has some in 1:25 which is much better.

I love warning stripes as much as anyone but I'm not sure chevrons on the nose of the executive train would be very fitting. It's supposed to be pretty classy after all. I would consider adding them to the other freight schemes though. I do really like the look of this:

The executive train would be ordinary smoothside single-level lightweight passenger cars.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dwwojcik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dwwojcik View Post
    That's a good link, Trainiax has some really nice 1:18 drawings but there are many gaps which other sites can fill. The best F40PH they have is only 1:55, but I see that railfan.net has some in 1:25 which is much better.

I love warning stripes as much as anyone but I'm not sure chevrons on the nose of the executive train would be very fitting. It's supposed to be pretty classy after all. I would consider adding them to the other freight schemes though. I do really like the look of this:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pic...2011-12-24.jpg

The executive train would be ordinary smoothside single-level lightweight passenger cars.
    *300-8302 were EMD demo unit leased as protection power for the Oakways After they convinced BN to lease 100 SD60's

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so maybe something weather beaten like this picture at RR-fallenflags one of my more favorite sites

or maybe this Hahahahahahahaha

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Vince P For This Useful Post: