Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why use a frog juicer vs using the Tortoise to power the turnout?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,302 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Paul Schmidt Thanks for finding that out. That is a very logical, technical reason. I would never have guessed that was the issue.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,130 Times in 2,861 Posts
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a problem with Peco track , I have never had anything like this with Atlas C55.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Is this a problem with Peco track , I have never had anything like this with Atlas C55.
    That's a great question. I have not had this issue with ME or Atlas code 55, but then again l don't use Tortoises. (I have nothing against them, but when l have used switch machines it's been the rotary type.)

I think perhaps if one is trying to assure electrical continuity between the points and their respective closure rails, without having to add jumpers and all the fussy soldering that demands, then maybe this is something you would run into.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,302 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don’t have a problem with this and I use Atlas Code 55 and Tortoises (for frog power too).
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,259 Times in 927 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if they neglected to remove the springs that slam the points across for positive electrical contact. With the springs removed it shouldn't be a problem. I am quite happy with my PECO turnouts, but have felt no need to power the frogs.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

10. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 462 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a couple of Tortoise-operated Pecos where I used the Tortoise's built-in DPDT switch to power the frog. I didn't encounter any electrical issues, either when I installed them or in the 15 years since. But I removed the Peco turnout spring to get the Tortoise to throw them, as the piano wire supplied with the Tortoise was not stiff enough to overcome it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You! I really appreciate you going out and getting me a definitive answer to my question

does a yes anyone remember if there are Model Railroader Magazine issues that have n print the info thatís in the Canadian mountains DCC/DS64 config specs?

i plan on replicating their control panel routing method, Iím hoping digitrax comes out with a DS64 type stationery decoder that does more than 4 Tortoise switching for routing reasons mostly I could really use an 8 Tortoise switching device controller

matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    So here's the reply David Popp sent me this morning. I think it makes sense.

"Ok, hereís the low-down on the Tortoise/Frog Juicer thing, and you can quote me on this to the nscale forum:

"Peco N scale turnouts have a lot of trouble with maintaining good polarity throughout the points unless you bend the tips for a harder contact with the stock rail. I had all sorts of trouble with this on my New Haven layout, and it proved to be a source of some frustration.

"The solution is to power not only the frog, but the points as well. In the past, Iíve used Frog Juicers for this with good results.

"On the Canyons layout, since we were going to use Tortoises anyway, I decided to wire the points to them. The problem is that the throw distance on the N scale Peco is quite small. Without a considerable amount of fiddling, the Tortoise moves the Peco points into position faster than itís own internal switching contacts change. The result is the point contacts the opposite stock rail before the polarity changes on the points and frog, causing the system to short.

"Weíve disconnected the contacts from the Tortoise and fit Frog Juicers under all the turnouts. Problem solved.

"This would not have been an issue if we were simply powering the frog, and then wired the points to the matching stock rails, but that would take a lot more time than we had to accomplish the project.

"So thereís the answer!"

There may be other solutions, but this worked for them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewd5 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewd5 View Post
    Thank You! I really appreciate you going out and getting me a definitive answer to my question
    You're welcome. David is a great person, and he and l hired on at MR about a week apart way back in October 2001. We have a lot of common interests in model railroading: we both like N scale, the Soo Line, OO 1:76 scale British railways (he the Great Western and me the LMS), and northeastern railroads (he the New Haven and me the Central Vermont).