Thread: XTrackCAD 5.1

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default XTrackCAD 5.1

For those of you who use XTrackCAD - they have just released the latest version, 5.1, download available (linked, that is) through their website.

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

Improvements include new easements ("Cornu"), as well as various other track and object work.

-Sam

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samusi01 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,922 Times in 5,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks pretty nice!

FTR: I haven't contributed anything to XTrackCAD in quite some time. The folks who ARE contributing are doing some fantastic work.
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,778 Times in 2,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I try to install on Linux Korora (Fedora base) I can't find it. Where does it install to?
    ~ Charles

:shay:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately it's been years since I played around with any Linux systems... have you tried the Yahoo group?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samusi01 View Post
    Unfortunately it's been years since I played around with any Linux systems... have you tried the Yahoo group?
    not yet, in the past I hadn't had much luck with them, but I'll try again.
    ~ Charles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive been trying to use that darn thing all day now and now i give up its just way to complicated to use it. ive read all the instrutions and it just wont work right for me. I mean really how flippin hard does it have to be just to draw up a track. i get the track put out there they wont connect . ive tried the shift right click left click delete, i pushed pulled threw my keyboard yanked out the wires and every dang thing else to get it to connect and flip and such. what a pain in the arse. right click and do this left click and do that nothing works and now im very frustrated in a piece of software that should be easy to use. i just dont get it. i can build a computer and rebuild my auto from the ground up even use a reg cad program for some things , but this has got to the hardest thing ever to use. or im just not smart enough or ? most times im really good at figgering stuff out i give up. done trying to work with it. 7 hrs of wasted time. heck i could have rebuild my engine in that time. ok im done . maybe tomorrow i might try again.
    did i mention i do not like to give up............im just feeling flustered thanks for letting me release .

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    ive been trying to use that darn thing all day now and now i give up its just way to complicated to use it. ive read all the instrutions and it just wont work right for me. I mean really how flippin hard does it have to be just to draw up a track. i get the track put out there they wont connect . ive tried the shift right click left click delete, i pushed pulled threw my keyboard yanked out the wires and every dang thing else to get it to connect and flip and such. what a pain in the arse. right click and do this left click and do that nothing works and now im very frustrated in a piece of software that should be easy to use. i just dont get it. i can build a computer and rebuild my auto from the ground up even use a reg cad program for some things , but this has got to the hardest thing ever to use. or im just not smart enough or ? most times im really good at figgering stuff out i give up. done trying to work with it. 7 hrs of wasted time. heck i could have rebuild my engine in that time. ok im done . maybe tomorrow i might try again.
    did i mention i do not like to give up............im just feeling flustered thanks for letting me release .

It does have a rather steep learning curve, but I like it. Have you tried SCARM? On the plus side it was free so there's that
    ~ Charles

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

sid

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i got back on it and tried again hahahaha this time i got further along i got a curve. but thats all i got. its really difficult to use. it does not do what you want every time you want it to at least on my computer. ie connecting the rails that needs a lot of improvement in my eyes any way.
    Charles yes ive used scram and i learned that right away. it has issues too but it worked for me. i really like any rail but i just cant justify putting that much money on something im not gunna use a lot of. any rail was super easy but limited to 50 parts. im gunna keep working on this as i dont like to get beat (im gunna win ) hahahaha scram had connection issues. track pieces didnt wanna connect and also it does not show that very well . although i have figgered out most of it. need something exactly like any rail but able to do 100 pieces. back to the rails hahahahahahahahaha

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,922 Times in 5,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i got back on it and tried again hahahaha this time i got further along i got a curve. but thats all i got. its really difficult to use. it does not do what you want every time you want it to at least on my computer. ie connecting the rails that needs a lot of improvement in my eyes any way.
    Charles yes ive used scram and i learned that right away. it has issues too but it worked for me. i really like any rail but i just cant justify putting that much money on something im not gunna use a lot of. any rail was super easy but limited to 50 parts. im gunna keep working on this as i dont like to get beat (im gunna win ) hahahaha scram had connection issues. track pieces didnt wanna connect and also it does not show that very well . although i have figgered out most of it. need something exactly like any rail but able to do 100 pieces. back to the rails hahahahahahahahaha
    Do the tutorials.

XTrackCAD is one of those programs that doesn't make intuitive sense, but once you learn a few things about it, get over that overhanging cliff of an initial learning curve, it does pretty well. Hard to beat for the price if you aren't on Windows.

But yes, that initial learning curve can be tough.

Do the tutorials.

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/BeginnerTutorial

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/TutorialVideos

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/StructureTutorial
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

sid

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
    Do the tutorials.

XTrackCAD is one of those programs that doesn't make intuitive sense, but once you learn a few things about it, get over that overhanging cliff of an initial learning curve, it does pretty well. Hard to beat for the price if you aren't on Windows.

But yes, that initial learning curve can be tough.

Do the tutorials.

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/BeginnerTutorial

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/TutorialVideos

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/StructureTutorial
    yeah, what TD said. I can't remember how many times I got as frusterated as you sounded, but now that I've learned how to use it I love it. Although my layout is "complete" in terms of track, I still use it when I change minor track arrangements.... yes.... I actually go back in the program to update the drawing AFTER I've made the changes to the layout
    ~ Charles

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

sid

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes ive looked over all those tutorials Thank You i had to slow down and reread them replay ect. today i finaly got a track plan with it. its still very difficult to use but at least im learning more. hahahahahahahah
    im slowly getting there. its very challenging for sure. there is one spot i just could not get it to connect no matter what i did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Joining track resulting color

The title may not be correct, but when I join two end points and the result is flex track or non-standard it is displayed in yellow. Is there any way to change this I have a very difficult time seeing these track sections clearly.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newtonscale View Post
    The title may not be correct, but when I join two end points and the result is flex track or non-standard it is displayed in yellow. Is there any way to change this I have a very difficult time seeing these track sections clearly.
    I get the dreaded yellow track when my radius exceeds the minimum setting. Under Options select layout and you should be able to increase the minimum setting.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you have under Options > Colors (Ctrl+Alt+C)? I don't have any yellow tracks displayed, but I do see reddish track if there is a problem (excessive grade, radii too tight, etc.). I've included an image of this case below. Standards can be specified under Options > Layout (Ctrl+Alt+A).
    AcceptableRadii.pngNotAcceptableRadii.png
    Sam

Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capture.JPG

Is that the question?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they ever add a "Nudge" tool? This would allow you to select an item and use your Up/Down - Left/Right keyboard buttons to move an item in very small (maybe even definable) increments. That would be a nice feature to add if they haven't already.
    Jim
    Modern BNSF Diesels
    Fallen Flags of the BNSF & Amtrak

11' x 14' Shelf Layout with Peninsula

Atlas Code 55
    Digitrax
    DCC
    JMRI
    Arduino

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." John F. Kennedy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,
    On XTrackCAD, if I have a track plan in HO scale & if it's to be converted to N scale plan, what's the simplest way to do it? In other words, how to use the HO plan as a template for a similar N scale plan.
    Thanks, EsK