Thread: Just beginning to plan new RR along the Missouri River

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just beginning to plan new RR along the Missouri River

Hello All ... I've already enjoyed reading quite a bit here, and will be continuing to do so over the coming weeks and months ... lots of great stuff here!

By way of introduction, I built a couple of HO railroads when I was in high school, and was lucky enough to live in houses with basements that weren't needed for other things. Then I went to college, started a family, moved to parts of the country that don't have basements (what's up with that?!?!), etc., and railroading got squeezed out.

Several years ago, my wife and son bought me some N scale stuff. I tinkered with it a little, but then we moved and everything went into boxes, and I'm just now (about 40 years after I dismantled my last railroad) starting to think about getting back into the hobby. And while I once again live in a house with a basement, I rather think that I'll go with N scale.

My current concept is to do something that has at least one nice stretch of track along a river with some bluffs, similar to the very common (albeit difficult to access in many cases) scenes along the Missouri River, and at least one significant bridge / tressle. I want to be able to run multiple trains, and of course I want a nice yard ... I'd love to model it after one of the yards on the west side of KC, but I think I'll probably end up with something more modest like that near Jefferson City.

I'm reading up on this new-fangled DCC thing (remember: 40 years) and it sounds wonderful.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, and I appreciate all of the folks here who take the time to take pictures and write descriptions of their ideas, their successes, and their not-so-successes so people like me can learn and enjoy this hobby!
    If you're not having fun, lower your standards ;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,147 Times in 2,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard Geeman, a lot of friendly people here that will help you and follow your endeavors.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

Thanks
    Thanked 11,750 Times in 3,368 Posts
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@geeman1082

Moose bid you hearty welcome to the greatest wee n scale forum on the interweb!

Looking forward to watching your layout materialize...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 912 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by geeman1082 View Post
    My current concept is to do something that has at least one nice stretch of track along a river with some bluffs, similar to the very common (albeit difficult to access in many cases) scenes along the Missouri River, and at least one significant bridge / tressle. I want to be able to run multiple trains, and of course I want a nice yard ... I'd love to model it after one of the yards on the west side of KC, but I think I'll probably end up with something more modest like that near Jefferson City.
    Which road are you thinking of modeling, and what time frame?

Both the Katy and the MoPac had trackage right along the river. The Katy line is now the Katy Trail. The MoPac line is the current UP mainline between St. Louis and Kansas City.

If you don't have a copy, there was a nice book published a few years ago called Rails Around Missouri that includes some coverage of Central Missouri. There was a branchline serving Columbia that might be interesting to model (I believe it was a Wabash line originally).

Paul
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,286 Times in 771 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DCC is really cool you will be amazed - looking forward to seeing your progress post lots of PICS!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 982 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Geeman! Back in 1992 my wife and I honeymooned at a B&B in Herman, MO, about 10 feet from the tracks. Every 15 minutes a train went by, but that's okay, we weren't sleeping.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pbender View Post
    Which road are you thinking of modeling, and what time frame?

Both the Katy and the MoPac had trackage right along the river. The Katy line is now the Katy Trail. The MoPac line is the current UP mainline between St. Louis and Kansas City.

If you don't have a copy, there was a nice book published a few years ago called Rails Around Missouri that includes some coverage of Central Missouri. There was a branchline serving Columbia that might be interesting to model (I believe it was a Wabash line originally).

Paul
    Thanks Paul, I will definitely look for that book. I'm somewhat familiar with the UP lines that merge into a double mainline west of Jefferson City, and I enjoy running down to see the UP steam engines roll through every few years ... got some pics of UP 3985 in 2010. But to answer your question, I haven't decided yet, but with N scale I'm hoping to have the space to run some longer engines and trains.

And thanks to everyone for the welcome. I have zero artistic skills, so I have a lot to learn about creating scenery and such (but I'm an avid woodworker and have a small CNC that might come in handy!) ... and I've never really learned much about real operations (I've always just enjoyed watching trains run), so I have a lot to learn there as well ... but I've been working with computers since the early 80's, so hopefully I'll be able to pick up some of the newer technology without bogging down too much.

Greg
    If you're not having fun, lower your standards ;-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Geeman!

You have an interesting concept for a layout. I could be wrong, but seems to me that model railroads based on a stretch of the Missouri River are in short supply.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,089 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard Geeman!
    Looking forward to see what you have up your sleeve.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,682 Times in 995 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Ought to be fun! Which is the whole point!
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 509 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pbender View Post

Paul
    There still is a line that serves Columbia, though not much of it anymore after the powerplant ceased coal operations a few years ago... Anyway, I live there, and it's the Columbia Terminal Railroad (Colt for short) it has(had perhaps ) two locomotives A rebuilt GP7u #2001 (Big Blue) and a SW1200 #1 (I don't see her anymore though)
    And the railroad is about 21 miles long and goes north to Centraila MO to meet the Norfolk Southern line.
    I have a book on this rr too so I can be of some help, not just for Columbia but Jeff City as well...
    :SFSD75M::SPWELL::TTX::SPWELL:

DEADPOOL 4 EL PRESIDENTÉ 2016!!

Follow me on Tumblr!
    http://nscaler711.tumblr.com/