Thread: Module ideas...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,409 Times in 610 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Module ideas...

Thought I'd start a thread to share some ideas for modules...

A modest-to-large interchange:

May be used on a single main (with long A/D track and yard lead) or double main (with limited capacity, and only for one direction) to connect to an industrial area. After all, most current class 1 railroads require a customer to build at least a three track yard when they want service, so they can have inbounds, outbounds and runaround.

Will expand the module with a small engine service, a caboose track, maybe an escape option for a switcher to the left... stay tuned.

And also I'll probably begin sharing other modules I have built or will build. Some time in the future...

Heiko

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,246 Times in 3,637 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you meaning "modules" in the sense of "layout design elements"? Or are you planning these to some codified modular standard?

I ask because I am used to seeing the term "module" in conjunction with pieces that aren't nearly as long and skinny as what you've posted. I think of them as being designed for portability. A Layout Design Element (LDE) on the other hand is something that might get worked into a layout track plan, but isn't necessarily any given dimension, shape, or standardized track alignment. "Section" or "Segment" are also useful terms; my home layout is built in discrete benchwork sections so that it can be relocated without a complete dismantling. But the sections have no common features and are all different shapes.

As for this first LDE, I like how it functions, though you have inbound, outbound, and a shared runaround for each railroad. An abbreviated version of this might go from 5 tracks down to 3, such as where a smaller short line interchanges with a Class 1. The short line wouldn't need its own separate yard tracks, it would just feed off of what got spotted in the shared yard.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something like that is typically for large facilities. Some ideas would include oil refinery, ethanol plant, paper mill, steel mill and intermodal yard. That said, a lot of those industries don't always have that sort of track arrangement.
    Stogie

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's following the Fremo americaN and americaN-iNdustries standards (americaN on the left and right end, americaN iNdustries on the branch - and actually americaN double track where the little boxes are) and yes, it's huge. And it's meant for a large(r) industrial area including an ethanol plant, a plastic bottles manufacturer, two cold storage places and some smaller industries plus probably whatever the arrangement planner adds to the branch

Heiko

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heiko,
    Some of these industries typically do not have such a large yard area. Some plastics plants in Erie PA have a siding off the main line or essentially a passing siding. https://binged.it/2NQnvst and https://binged.it/2NMFY93 Regarding the latter link, it was for General Polymerics. I am not sure if they are closed or not.

A cold storage in Chambersburg PA has an odd arrangement. The CSX line north from Hagerstown MD is mostly single track. It becomes double just outside of town and ends just short of crossing the NS. A connecting spur comes off and runs through a business park with a cold storage and a warehouse, both served by a single siding. https://binged.it/2q2eLWl The NS line that runs through town is the old PRR Cumberland Valley branch. NS switches quite a few locations that are a siding off the main.

The set up in Chambersburg is probably an exception to a number of rules, but there still seems to be a lot of sidings served off the mainline in the Eastern USA.
    Stogie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 490 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how long the module is... 8 feet? but transporting it might be problematic. Just curious how that will play out.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
    Heiko,
    Some of these industries typically do not have such a large yard area. Some plastics plants in Erie PA have a siding off the main line or essentially a passing siding. https://binged.it/2NQnvst and https://binged.it/2NMFY93 Regarding the latter link, it was for General Polymerics. I am not sure if they are closed or not.
    Yeah, we have to adjust the prototype to get a reasonable traffic game going Industries right on the main are frowned upon, because a local switching them blocks the main (in the prototype too, but if there is only one train per day, what does the prototype care? But that's boring to model...) so I aim to either have an industry with some kind of yard to not foul the main or collect all the industries in an industrial area and connect them to the main line with a small yard.

Which is what the module I showed here is for, it's not the industry itself, but a place on the mainline where a manifest freight drops off a cut of cars to be shuffled to a bunch of industries by a local or local switcher. So if you move to the Northwest in your first Bing link, there you see what this module is supposed to be operations-wise.

(And because actual classification yards at our arrangements are usually overrun, it needs at least three tracks for inbounds, westbound outbounds and eastbound outbounds, plus A/D track - typically some arrangement planner will see this and say "oh, a yard - why don't you push the inbounds into the branch so you can build another local for another branch down the road?" turning this into a small classification yard...)

That's also why I have a long A/D track parallel to the yard lead with two crossovers in the middle - so it can serve long manifest trains without getting into the way of the yard lead, but typically the cuts of cars it handles itself are much shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    Not sure how long the module is... 8 feet? but transporting it might be problematic. Just curious how that will play out.
    About 7 meters, 24ft I would be building it in sections of 90cm, 3ft, and maybe leave out a few sections of "just tracks" in the beginning, and/or instead of building them straight build them curved 10-15 degrees. Somewhere between 90cm and 1m is a good size transportation-wise, and the yard throats in this design should fit that size too (a #10 single to double track module will be 45-55cm, depending on the curvature before and after)

Sorting track length and lead track length is 2.4m, 8ft, which seems reasonable to me, the A/D track is slightly more than twice that, obviously. That should be all right for about 15 cars per track/35 car manifests. Which will be too short - we had trains with more than 40 cars at either of our last meetings...

Heiko

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is one big layout and probably a bit heavy... I would go 2 ft wide by 6ft long

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is gonna be a big and heavy module. Like the design but I would do it 2x4 or 2x6ft in size.