Thread: TECO Train Show

Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 609 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TECO Train Show

Was this past weekend. It was moderately attended, which means enough spectators to keep me entertained, but not enough to make the vendors ecstatic.

I ran the trains with pantographs raised for the first time at a show, and experienced no entanglements in the catenary and no wrecks. I did, occasionally, have a truck derail when I would get distracted by questions and allow the BR 442 EMU to run up against the cushion at the end of the spur. In a tunnel, of course.

The Faller Bus System ran flawlessly all weekend, and, as always, impressed everyone. "How does it stay on the road?" (I pay the driver Union scale) "How does it know where to stop?" (He's had this route before). I do have a card on the front of the layout with a full explanation.

The only downside was Sunday afternoon when my wife was using my phone to run trains.....and dropped it. No visible damage, but the screen was defunct. Next day I took it to the phone doctor, who opened it and plugged back in the screen connection. Et voila! As good as new. Glad I remained calm at the show and simply handed Kathy my spare Samsung tablet so she could continue running trains.

The best part of a train show for me is watching the faces - kids and adults. The pleasure they get from exploring the layout, the various scenes, the trains, the interactive pushbuttons, shows through. Then, when we let them run a train.....

One time I had set down my tablet while I replenished the smoke tube in the house fire. A fellow - adult - walked up and started up a train. So I told him he was responsible for the train, here is it's route, and here is it's stop. He was startled, but was up to the task. Children were better behaved.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 981 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you had a good weekend and everything went smoothly for you but am a bit amazed that someone would simply pick up, and start playing with, your tablet without asking - I know what my reaction would have been and it probably wouldn't have been quite as amicable as yours
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. He wasn't so bold as to actually pick it up. He simply touched the throttle graphic, which started the train. This train is on a branch line, and I always reverse the direction as soon as I bring it into the Bahnhof. Thus he could not have hurt anything.

I've been taking layouts to train shows for about 5 years now and have learned a few things about protecting the set and have mellowed with regard to spectators. It is more fun to engage a fellow like that than to scold. After all, I am trying to get people interested in the hobby.

I would also like to compliment the kids. They were very well behaved. Parents of very young children were attentive and careful.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 981 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like you had a good crowd then and that is the important thing. I agree, seeing kids at a show is a positive thing and being respectful of the trains and layouts is a plus.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was planning on attending, but only got halfway (Denver). I stopped by to attend the N scale group in the Forney Museum and ended up helping them paint. Since a BIG reason I go to TECO is for the history presentations, it kind of made less sense for me to finish the trip since the last history presentation would be over by the time I got there. Wish TECO was better known outside of Colorado Springs, glad to hear it was moderately attended. The last time I went it seemed like hardly anybody was there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Moffatt Tunnel layout is first rate! If I lived in Denver I would certainly be spending time and effort with that group. The history of the tunnel is interesting reading. I like that the men and women who actually did the work greeted the first train full of dignitaries with a sign: "The [Denver] Post didn't build this tunnel, WE did!"
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn