Thread: Strip then paint, or just prime and paint?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Strip then paint, or just prime and paint?

I've got an old (old, old) pair of Bachmann locos that I want to use to practice both weathering and painting a local short-line scheme on. My question is, should I somehow strip the existing factory paint job (if so, how) or just break out the primer and cover the existing paint? Neither of these locos run anymore, and while I'm sure I could probably get them running again, I'm not worried about it.

I could get a new undecorated loco to paint, but I'd rather get a feel for the work before dropping a fair chunk of change on a new loco...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely strip them first, especially if you are trying to get a feel for the work. You'll want to strip new locos in the future, so might as well get a handle on it now.

Start by trying 91% isopropyl alcohol. Let it soak for a few hours, if not overnight, then scrub with a firm toothbrush. If it doesn't all come off the first time, pop it back in the alcohol and give it a few days to soak, then scrub again. If the alcohol fails, try Purple Power cleaner. I've used it to take off solvent based paints from plastic without issue. Be sure to wear gloves when handling the liquids.

Doug

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parkerlocoworks For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the very least you need to remove all the numbers,logos,ect. No amount of primer will make those disappear......well if you use enough primer they will , but all the molded in details will also disappear. If that doesn't remove the underlying paint, then you can use the original paint AS the primer assuming it isn't multiple colors and assuming you are using a darker paint than the original for the new color......don't try to put yellow over black. Bottom line is you only NEED to do what is neccesary......but stripping and repriming the original is never a bad choice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MRLdave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks both of you!
    Looks like I'll be stripping, one loco is BN colors (so dark green and black) and the other is Chessie. The colors I'm looking to go with are a medium-dark blue with a light-grey lightning stripe, so I don't think they'd cover the BN colors very well...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you are going to strip them.

You'd be surprised at some of the colors that will cover. What paints will you be using? I always try to spray from light to dark in my progression if I can. The exception to that rule is silver, it's always the last color I use if possible, it even covers black in one thin coat.
    Doug M.
    Modeling the Arizona & California Railroad in N Scale

Visit my blog at parkerlocoworks.blogspot.com to see more of my models
    Visit my Facebook page www.facebook.com/nscalearzc to see more of my layout build

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't decided on the paints yet, at some point I need to get up to the hobby shop and go browsing.
    The last time I bought paints, they were Testor's enamels for some lead (yes, lead) miniatures...