Thread: photo backdrops

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default photo backdrops

Simple question, I would like to mount a photo backdrop, before I get serious about starting trackwork, scenery,etc. 8ftx18-24inches or even higher, would be perfect. I have searched all over the web and I find what is out there very confusing, especially Backdrop Warehouse. There seems to be a plethora of HO backdrops and very little Nscale. Any hints or advice would be appreciated. Thanks Greg,ps, I would prefer not to paint one myself.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gregb:

I did the same rummaging around as you did; I actually spent way too long before taking action. What I concluded was that the best backdrop for my needs was stocked by Backdrop Warehouse. The other sites didn't have the specific mountain and lake scene I wanted. It takes quite a bit to navigate their website, but once you get used to it, it won't get in the way.

Important: you need to pay careful attention to scale. What does this mean: no foreground objects that will be way too tall (400 foot trees, 20 foot cars, etc.). From my experience, Backdrop Warehouse is more careful about these things than most others. There is also a way to "shrink" down their 36" high backdrop to 30", which is also what I did, then I trimmed it further down to the 27" I wanted.

Pluses: the photo is absolutely stunning. It is so high resolution that it totally looks real in photos of the layout. Easy to trim and mount. Very satisfied that the photo replicates the sample on their website (and much more).

Minuses: Although the vinyl (I think that's what it is) medium it is printed on is pretty sturdy, the ink will run if the photo side gets wet and you aren't really careful blotting it up. I spilled some black paint on a part of the backdrop, and managed to clean it up with only a small distortion. Just be careful. Finally, the instructions for mounting are really confusing, as they mention several types of media, but what is not clear is that their current media allows you to use regular wallpaper paste. I was a bit too stingy with the paste, and have a few minor bubbles that didn't need to happen. Finally, these are not cheap - but worth every penny from my perspective.

Too decide on the specific scene, I photographed my layout, then took an image capture of the backdrop I was interested in. I then used Photoshop to test how the backdrop looked on my layout. That was really, really helpful.

If you check out my new layout thread, I have posted several photos of the backdrop preparation and the final results:

http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...lifornia-Rails

Good luck!

Dan

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 981 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that "Olie" bought his backdrops from a UK company that was very good and very reasonably priced. Hopefully he joins in this discussion so he can tell you the details.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan,that's exactly it! Thanks, heading back to Backdrop Warehouse and getting what I would like. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 334 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used BackDrop Warehouse (http://www.backdropwarehouse.com/indexbdwh.htm) multiple times and find their backdrops amazing. I also frequently get complemented on them at train shows.

Let me pick on a page, say the Shenandoah mountains: http://www.backdropwarehouse.com/SkEastMtHillsGrp.htm

I pick one I like, let's go with:

Which is "BG MH 143De". Now, here's where it gets confusing, they can print that image in different sizes. Just like you can print your photo in an 8x10 or a 4x6. Except theirs are larger, of course. So if I go to the pricing page (http://www.backdropwarehouse.com/Pricing.htm) it can be ordered in:

18 in. by 8 ft. for $175 (BackGround) / $225 (BD MH 801010De, BackDrop)
    18 in. by 10 ft. for $180 (BackGround) / $230 (BD MH 801010De, BackDrop)

Those are appropriate for N Scale. If you go larger, say 18 in. by 12 ft, then it only becomes appropriate for HO.

Now there's a warning about N scale. It's not quite shrunk small enough. For trees and hills you will never notice. But IF the picture has buildings on it, that could be an issue. So you have to look at the image your ordering.

I agree they could make it easier to understand, and the codes are a bit crazy, but it's actually pretty simple. As an FYI I normally buy the 10' to do a pair of N-Trak 4' modules. That way I have some left to right wiggle room as I set them up.
    --
    Leo Bicknell

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bicknell For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 999 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like these: http://www.tracksidescenery.com/index.php?

I wish they offered a late winter (February-early March) backdrop of the Appalachians. I contacted them a few years ago about that, but no interest on their part
    Paul Schmidt

Southern Railway's Slate Fork Branch

Proud member of the Milwaukee Road Historical Association and the Southern Railway Historical Association

Check out Appalachian Railroad Modeling!

Did l mention that I still like the SP&S?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 589 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe the Backdrop Warehouse folks will trade me a backdrop for redesigning their website... YIKES. I'm sure they're nice people and have a great product, but that is the absolute worst website I've ever seen, and as an IT professional for the past 25 years, I've seen a lot.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently my daughters read my posts, I have a tendency to leave the computer open. They bought me a gift certificate to Tracksidescenery, for my birthday. I'll update when the backdrop arrives. Cheers

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gregb. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 334 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-LineSoo View Post
    Maybe the Backdrop Warehouse folks will trade me a backdrop for redesigning their website... YIKES. I'm sure they're nice people and have a great product, but that is the absolute worst website I've ever seen, and as an IT professional for the past 25 years, I've seen a lot.
    I ordered some backdrops around 2007 or so and it looked exactly the same. They must be keeping their overhead low by not keeping up with advances in web design!
    --
    Leo Bicknell