Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you buying this month (November 2018)?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,387 Times in 2,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What are you buying this month (November 2018)?

Moose buy these for to help modify building kits for West Port...

20181103_141710.jpg
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280.jpg
    283.JPG
    Got these in the mail a couple days ago.
    I added decoders to both, the SD35 was used so it got a thorough cleaning.
    It runs and looks like new.

Steve

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to silver69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 661 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool! But which one is the SD35, and what is the other one? I don't know one North American diesel from another.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

6. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully closing on the new condo in 12 days! That's what I am buying. Then a new train room for the Slate Fork (although it'll be a craft room for my wife as well).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    Cool! But which one is the SD35, and what is the other one? I don't know one North American diesel from another
    SD35 on the right.
    Paul Schmidt

Southern Railway's Slate Fork Branch

Proud member of the Milwaukee Road Historical Association and the Southern Railway Historical Association

Check out Appalachian Railroad Modeling!

Did l mention that I still like the SP&S?

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool! But which one is the SD35, and what is the other one? I don't know one North American diesel from another.
    Sorry!
    SD35 is blue #701 from Atlas
    Orange one is ES44AC from Kato

Steve

10. The Following User Says Thank You to silver69 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,679 Times in 1,302 Posts
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sort of hobby related ... just bought us this:

SK8000 Series 55" Class HDR UHD Smart Nano Cell IPS LED TV

How is this hobby related? Well, now I get to buy a couple more Kato ES44AC Engines and ESU Decoders
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought this, from there.
    I have the entire set.
    https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/micro-trains-n-10200140-60-box-car-with-excess-height-double-plug-doors-and-rivet-side-micro-mouse-2018-christmas-car/

I run them all for about 3 weeks at Christmas.
    Train is getting heavy, could use another "B" unit.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to donzi For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought all the materials for my second layout section. Not being a big layout, it's easy to assemble and lightweight too. I bought the Blue foam to fit in the frame (25.4mm or 1 inch thick) and 30mm thickness for the first layer.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/connect-...h-lip_p1138440

That's the side rails, 1200mm (4 feet) long with 2 x 450mm (18 inch) cross piece ends. That makes a 500mm x 1200mm section. I now have 2 0f them to make my mining district. The side lip will fit in a groove in the foam, locking it in place, along with construction adhesive.

Also have an order from Hobbylinc on the way, 3 buildings (Atlas roundhouse, DPM store and an RSlaser kits, Ellington Merchantile).But the best is an MP 2-6-0 with DCC & sound....oh and a pair of bobber cabooses...
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, before the main event, I got some items the other day. Just basic workshop maintenance. A new sponge and two new tips for my Hakko soldering station.

1103182009c1.jpg

So, I had been thinking my Hakko Soldering Iron was failing. The tip looked very new, but it was having terrible trouble melting solder. I was going through excessive amounts of flux, and work has just been wretched with it. I genuinely thought it was failing me after 14 years of use. I tested the tip temperature with my Soldering Iron Calibration tool (it's a thermocouple temperature meter that can handle peak temps up to a few hundred C... At least from 0-500C, I know)... It was 80C below the set temperature! The next day, I disconnected the handle from my base station and took it to the machine shop where I work. I first tested the machine shop's Hakko, and it was perfectly calibrated... When I attached my handle to the base station there... Same as before. Mine measured 40-80C LOW! Anyway I took the tip off to examine the ceramic heating element. I thought maybe it had cracked... That's when i realized there were no markings on the tip. The tip wasn't a Hakko tip!

Turns out, back when I bought my hot air rework station, it came with a knockoff Hakko soldering iron. It was BAD... Like, I thought it had been damaged in shipping, cause it was bent, but no, the ceramic heating element was just molded with a curve. It was shoddy, poorly made, and I immediately removed the handle from the hot air station and left it disconnected since! Turns out, one of the shoddy "Chinesium" tips that came with it managed to get put into my good pile, and that's what I've been soldering with for months!

These tips were SO BAD, that they lost 40-80C of the heat generated by the heating element, transferring it to the tip. I can't even imagine what they're really made of, considering that the lack of laser marked logo and part number (what genuine Hakko tips use to ID the tip type) was the only means I could even tell the two tips apart! A genuine Hakko tip made the soldering iron like new again. I can't stress enough how great Hakko soldering stations are! 14 years, and it's still working flawlessly! Just don't cheap out on knock off tips... They REALLY DO make a difference! Those trash tips that came with my hot air station's auxiliary soldring iron... Maybe I can reuse them as scenery in a scrap yard? Scrap is all they're good for! Yikes!

Btw... wetting a brand new soldering iron sponge is so satisfying to watch!

So satisfying!

So earlier this year, I got to see the Roundhouse Inc. Model Railroad Club in St James Minnesota during St James's "Railroad Days" festival. While it was awesome to get to see operating layouts after so long away from the hobby, one thing that the event was lacking, was the flea market... Or most of the actual event... The people who planned it absolutely dropped the ball, and that had bummed me out, big time. Fortunately, the model railroad club SAVED the day!

Anyway, Today (okay, technically yesterday, now) I went up to Shakopee MN to see the "Great Train Show" being hosted at Canterbury Park. It's the first model train trade show I've ever attended, and boy, let me tell you... My wallet is sobbing uncontrollably in the corner of the shelf, I tell you what!

If you look in the picture above, with the Hakko stuff, you'll also see a Lok Sound sugar cube speaker. I got that because I need to mill out openings for speakers in all my non DCC locomotives. That means my heavily upgraded Bachmann F9 Chessie System loco, the in progress GP-40 Bachmann (which I want to upgrade with a Spectrum drivetrain), and my Atlas GP-40 (it IS DCC ready, but not DCC+Sound ready). Having dimensions and having ACTUAL speakers and baffles to test fit make all the difference in the world to someone like me who tends to wing it at the mill! I could have got more sugarcane speakers... But seriously... RIP, my wallet. There will always be speakers.

1103182009b.jpg1103182009c.jpg1103182309a1.jpg

Yes... Now you understand why my wallet gently weeps! LOL
    I added to my Railbox roster (they're technically ATSF rebadges, but I will probably undo that).
    I got my FIRST modern long tanker. I'd have preferred GATX, but this is close enough. I might re-decal it. Never heard of that around here. Might leave it though.
    I GREATLY expanded my CNW roster. I was definitely lacking in CNW rolling stock. My Rock Island and DME stuff was crushing it!
    The six CNW hoppers are a great addition! Two were kits, but all the parts were included, and I put them together before snapping the picture.
    This 2008 chassis Atlas Dash 8-40C will make a great locomotive for my CNW fleet, especially once fitted/modded for DCC+Sound.

All that would have been relatively affordable, were it not for the fact that I bought yet another ICE SD40-2... This one with the Lok Sound decoder factory installed! To be fair, all that other stuff was had for good prices. More importantly, I got an opportunity to RUN my brand new ICE loco! I already have one Locomotive equipped with a Lok Sound decoder (my Alco S2), but I've never run it... I don't have a layout built, and don't have a DCC controller or driver yet. When one of the guys operating a club layout at the trade show heard I bought all that stuff, and don't even have a layout to run it on, he told me to set it up on theirs! It was great getting a chance to run MY locomotive on a functioning layout. Did a half loop, did some switching, reversed in a wye, and learned just how much momentum those Lok Sound decoders have as their default setting! I loved it!

So, the one bit of rolling stock I hadn't mentioned was the Honeymead hopper... I spotted that one, and for whatever reason, it just caught my eye. I wanted it, and I didn't know why, but it was also cheap. When I asked the man at the till if he knew if there were any Dakota, Minnesota, & Eastern rolling stock hiding anywhere, and when he saw the ICE loco I'd grabbed, he commented on the Honeymead hopper. Told me it was a good choice, that I'd had a good eye. Honeymead was in Mankato Minnesota, a measly 30 minutes from where I live, and sits on a spur right along the main DME route! I HONESTLY have no idea if I saw one on a train once, and subconsciously remembered it, whether I'd heard the name before, or what... But somehow, out of ALL the thousands of pieces of rolling stock I sifted through, THAT was the one unique one that said "buy me... Your wallet is already dead. Do not mourn it! What's another measly $12!"

1104180140a.jpg

Finally, I bought some more Tru-Color paints. This time I remembered to pick up white, and I just wanted extra of the main colors I already had. In the photo, you can also see that I've already stripped down the plastic detail parts on that new Intermountain SD40-2 that I just bought, and I'm finally gonna give re-decaling it a shot. It will undoubtedly have to become DME 6364 "City of Sleepy Eye". Hardest part is going to be the portrait of Chief Sleepy Eye... The decal set does NOT include that. I need to try to create decals. I'll have to look for a white backed decal that's laser printer compatible. Ugh... When you need just one decal, but you know you'll need to print a whole sheet. Suppose I could print several in various scales and toss the extra decals up on ebay or something...
    Last edited by richfiles; 4th Nov 2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: My soldering iron tip story got half deleted... It's restored

18. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to richfiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeez, your wallet must be on fire and burnt to a crisp!

So what's the final verdict on your Hakko? Did it really die? They are the standard by which everyone compared to for soldering irons.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three sections of Kato elevated track apparently only available (or cataloged) in Japan.
    Just received one WOT Lackawanna 60 baggage express, and have purchased 4 Fox Valley Milwaukee baggage express.
    Won a bid for a Centralia UP 4-4-2 sleeper "San Gabriel" Friday from a known eBay seller.
    And pre-ordered 2 cars from Lowell Smith, one a NP sleeper in Espee colors, and the "David Crockett" Texas Special.

More Atlas track and turnouts will be bought as I work toward laying track to my second of three passenger terminals. Once the track pieces from Japan arrive, I will also continue on the third (elevated) station with Kato track.

It feels good to be back to working on the railroad again!!

Steve

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody709acy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Jeez, your wallet must be on fire and burnt to a crisp!
    So what's the final verdict on your Hakko? Did it really die? They are the standard by which everyone compared to for soldering irons.
    I fixed the Hakko story in the original post. Apparently a huge chunk of it got deleted while typing it up, and I never noticed.
    There's a happy ending to this one! Hakko still remains the gold standard for hobby and entry level pro soldering work.

And yes... My wallet indeed wept bitter tears of Ones, Fives, Tens, Twenties, and even a Fifty...
    It would have wept those Benjamins, were it not for my plastic taking one for the team!
    I still belive it was a great deal, but it was a LOT of great deals! LOL

If I'm not mistaken, this purchase is my first encounter with Fox Valley Models, Roundhouse Products, and Precision Masters. Atlas was what I have come to expect of Atlas. A decent model. Not super detailed, but good. The Roundhouse models seemed to be about on par with the Atlas stuff. My intermountain stuff is always nice. That loose Rock Island hopper was believed to be Intermountain, but had been missing the case. Got it for free, for also buying the Atlas CNW Dash 8-40C loco! Definitely a great deal for a DCC ready Atlas loco and an Intermountain hopper! I snagged the ICE SD40-2 with Lok Sound for $190. That was by far, the BIG purchase of the day, and actually feels about standard for what I see them go for, especially once you consider I didn't need to ship it from anywhere. The Fox Valley Models are the two darker colored CNW hopers, and I was very pleased with the quality! Those are the two that I spent more on. It was worth the extra for the extra detail. More detailed rolling stock can bookend the cheaper stuff I have. That tanker was my one Micro Trains purchase, and I was pleased with their quality, as always! One down... an entire unit train to go... Yikes!

Finally, there are the Precision masters kits, and the Walthers... How do I put this... Bachmann feels like a higher quality. The Walthers was such cheap, light feeling plastic! I felt like I could crush that thing! The Precision Masters were better... They didn't feel as cheap, but they all had the same undersized molded roof that popped inside the hopper main body, with no overhang at all... It looked odd assembling. Those are incredibly bright yellow too... It'll take some epic weathering to make them look good. At least the air tanks aren't molded on in the Precision Masters. No piping, but at least that separate tank. Good thing they were cheap as!
    Last edited by richfiles; 5th Nov 2018 at 02:54 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richfiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A big thanks to Minnesota Free-Mo Modelers and I think the Nebraska one too (I think) for giving me the opportunity to experience my first operation of my Intermountain SD40-2 Iowa, Chicago, & Eastern locomotive and my first operation of anything DCC controlled! Looks like I picked up an experience this November that has NO price tag!

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to richfiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw you at Shakopee on Saturday...I pick up five IM Canadian grain hoppers and some detail parts....

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicki6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nicki6 View Post
    I saw you at Shakopee on Saturday...I pick up five IM Canadian grain hoppers and some detail parts....
    I was wearing my blue Rock Island shirt there. Had to dress the part!
    Was it my purchases that gave me away? Maybe running my ICE loco on the Free-Mo layout? Me talking about my hoped layout plans? The DCC table?
    Man, I've never been to a Model Rail trade show like that before...
    It was almost overwhelming running into so many new people and trying to find all those must buy finds in amongst all the different stuff!
    I ran into so many people and I'm so bad with names, so I do apologize if I missed your name there. That's one of my weak points!
    Last edited by richfiles; 5th Nov 2018 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running an ICE? Photos or video?
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,861 Times in 456 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrived today:

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    At your next Model Rail show...
    "So what scale do you model?"
    "Oh, I model full scale."

Running an ICE? Photos or video?
    I put up a short little video. Just scroll up! Sadly, that's all I got, as a phone call ended up interrupting the recording, and it happened to be in the last few minutes before the event shut down anyway.

I did snag some photos of the layout itself, but not of my operations. I did a pickup at a lumberyard, then moved into a wye and turned around. Not too much else, but man, it was fun!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah. ICE = Iowa, Chicago and Eastern, not InterCity Express. Just like those guys who think NS means Norfolk Southern rather than Nederlandse Spoorwegen.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post: