Thread: Lighted Cabooses ?????

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lighted Cabooses ?????

I have two illuminated Santa Fe Cabooses. Both units came from Kato and had the metal pickups for the wheels. I installed Kato lighting kits in each.

I have not seen another lighted Caboose offered for sale by any other manufacturer. Are there any available out there? I have three other cabooses from various manufacturers and none of them have metal wheels or power pickups. Does anyone make a kit to convert a Caboose to a lighted unit?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 334 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen a number of people at shows with cabooses, generally PRR, with class lights that were lit. I have no idea if these were factory or wired up by individual modelers.
    --
    Leo Bicknell

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you're closer than you think. The middle-cupola lighted cabooses from Kato are a strange prototype. ATSF had nothing even close to a short, center-cupola steel caboose. They did have extended vision ones like the Bachmann one, Atlas paint is right-on but kind of the wrong caboose too. Everybody and their brother made the end-cupola ATSF standard caboose though.

Now, if you've taken that caboose apart enough to put lighting in it, take a good look at that frame. 8x8 end-axle pickup, pickup wipers just like a diesel. That's as good as it gets. Steps come off, so do end platforms and ladders. If you're willing to do some plastic surgery, you can lengthen or modify that caboose frame to fit a lot of different cabooses for lighting. I've now done six of them, plus used the caboose frames in smaller 8-wheel steam locomotive tenders to get 8x8 pickup there. And they are VERY free-rolling.

The 'other answer' is that Richmond Controls made (apparently past tense according to Jim Hinds) full metal-wheel and axle pickup wiper sets for the Intermountain cabooses to use his marker light and interior lighting set. It has a capacitor so it doesn't flicker at all. Not sure if DCC compatible but works great with DC, I've got all of my regular cabooses equipped with markers and lighting, about half on modified Kato caboose frames and the other half with his wipers.

I've got full night operations so keeping an eye on the end of the train got a whole lot more important. And with the capacitors, the markers stay on even if the train is stopped.

Intermountain on Kato frame:

Trix on Kato frame:

Randgust N scale kits web page at www.randgust.com

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to randgust For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 589 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Winslow? Do you have a girl in a flatbed Ford parked at a corner?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Prairie Shadows / Rapido Trains CN Point St Charles caboose comes with both interior and exterior lighting.

-Mark

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,058 Times in 629 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys make wheel wipers and axel wipers for metal wheels and are a great source for all sorts of lighting circuitry for cars: http://www.sbs4dcc.com/

Kato also (sometimes) has power-routing caboose trucks available in their parts store, if you can figure out how to wire them in or make contact strips.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Randgust, I think I'll take one of my KATO Cabooses apart to see what's involved in lengthening the chassis so i can put another body on it. Are you willing to build one for me if I don't think I can tackle it on my own?

And those Prarie Shadow Cabooses are fantastic as well.

It just seems to me that manufacturers of Cabooses are missing a big market opportunity here by not offering lighted Cabooses. Every time I run a Caboose without lighting, I am disappointed. The lighted KATO units really make a huge difference by comparison. It is also very difficult to find a used KATO unit on Ebay too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I did on my Kato frame conversions was to actually graft in part of the frame from the original caboose to get the bolster-to-bolster dimension the same as the original frame. I cut the steps off the original frame and glued them to the body so that the only removable part to gain access to lighting was under the body itself. That greatly simplified the problems of ladders, steps, and coupler mountings. For the pickup strips, I cut them in half and soldered scrap brass to fit them to the new adjusted frame length. It's not all that impossible and I've documented it with photos. It's really just an exercise in hacking things with a Zona saw and reglueing stuff together. For what you can pick a used Kato caboose up on the auction sites you're ahead, because you need more than the trucks to make this work right - you really need the pickup wipers and the plastic frame to keep everything in alignment. That wiper force down on Kato end-axles is critical to the design and soldering wires on doesn't equalize the pickup. Contact me on the email address on randgust.com

The Kato cabooses multiplied like rabbits because of their use in the train sets, and they show up a lot at train shows as those sets were broken up.

Oh, and for Eagles trivia and fans, the incident immortalized in 'Take it Easy', actually was in Flagstaff and it was a Toyota pickup, but that just doesn't fit vocals.

https://robynnscorner.949starcountry...by-the-eagles/

So like many other popular legends, it has no basis in fact! I do have a Toyota pickup in Flagstaff, unnecessary and generally invisible detail accuracy counts in N.
    Randgust N scale kits web page at www.randgust.com