Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your thoughts and opinions on Broadway Limited locomotives and sound systems.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The volume recommendation actually came from Kato to a friend that was having issues with his FEF, but it seems to apply to my BLI locos as well........I haven't reset any of my volume levels, and the longer they run, the worse they run. Allow them to cool and they are fine again. I don't see it as a problem on my home layout (when I get it done) but most of my current running is at NTRAK club setups, and the locos sometimes run up to an hour non-stop. I doubt the problem will be better with the Paragon 4s.......anytime you are amplifying sound, you generate heat, and the only way to fix that is with some sort of cooling, and N scale locos don't have a lot of spare room for that. My main hope for the 4's is that the "keep alive" feature they are supposed to have works. Honestly, I find the volume level BLI sets from the factory to be annoying and turning it down is not an issue.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MRLdave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,117 Times in 495 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is due to cheap component used and the design of decoder. My AC6000 was dead on the box due to faulty voltage regulator. For a large board should not be a problem the heat management. Soundtrax TSU750 have the same problem. They are large decoders. I have nano decoders from Zimo and Loksound micro, not any isue, are half size of that crapp paragon x. My first paragon locomotive do not want to run on my diorama, i suspect a stupid inductance which alter the dcc signal. Loco run nice, no problem on another track. Was better the DC option, not any paragon, loco at 70-90$ real price, and option for as to mount zimo, esu, etc. At 200$ look insane to buy 15 bli diesel and 3 steam to change sound card with a good one. At this point i prefer the Atlas idea. Silver or gold. You decide what you want and spend. And gold mean gold sound decoder. Loksound give me headeaches only one time, my foult, i did not remove the capacitors and supressors from motor at conversion on dcc. I get mad for a week till i read the manual. Some motor and dcc do not want that between them.
    I LIKE TO WORK WITH BIG SHIP ENGINES BUT I SPEND MY FREE TIME AROUND N SCALE TRAIN MODELS.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gamitzu For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 478 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OleSmokey View Post
    Don't know about Paragon 4, but from my two Paragon 3, They are junk. I am running two Atlas 2's on dcc. One Bachmann 44 toner and they run so good!!The two NW-2's By BLI, One is toast and the other one, i am thinking about tearing out the sound decoders and putting regular dcc decoders in them. The sound boards over heat and they don't play nice with the dcc unit i have,(Digitrax dcs51). Sorry BLI, Paragon 3's suck. I have to reset them all the time. Wish i waited till they came out with Paragon4. Maybe they will be better.
    I have heard issues with their sound decoders, hopefully they have eradicated the issue with the new paragon 4. I might have to turn down the volume “just in case” of overheating. Although I will be happy to receive the two new locomotives in September.
    Cheers!
    Clayton

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, is not normal to overheat. Small or big decoder, it is not normal. Zimo, loksound are not geting hot at full volume. Most of modeler, home, keep sound low range, at expo they want full sound, on crowded places, full with kid's. I have to measure on my ACe, i already see when i test, loco shell getting hot, realy hot. If plastic reach 60 degree Celsius, core of decoder will be 100. Overheatng will trigger termal protection in quality Zimo or Esu. In this crapp paragon x, if work, ok, if not, good reason to replace it with a state of the art one. Another 100$, another day in train modeler life.
    I LIKE TO WORK WITH BIG SHIP ENGINES BUT I SPEND MY FREE TIME AROUND N SCALE TRAIN MODELS.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamitzu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My limited BLI experience (posted earlier on another thread):

Bought an ES44ACE BLI, ran like crap out of the box, overheating and also gauged incorrectly so rubs and slows in Kato R381's. Due to the mentioned overheating, eventually it died. Even new out of box it lurched around at about 1/4 it's normal speed. I returned and got another. Second one runs at normal speed, occasionally gets hot. Didn't know it, but I by default turn my BLI's down to half volume, that alleviated the heating problems. The 3 wheeled trucks still slow a little in R381's.

Bought a lite Mikado. Ran a few sessions, on about my 4th session, it glitched. I thought I had shorted it, but this was just running loops around my track and just died mid loop with no short. No manual resets worked. Warrantied with BLI, they sent a replacement board, works amazing since.

Bought a heavy pacific, works great. No issues ever. Same drive mechanism as the mikado, so runs great in a consist with the above.

The mikado was constantly losing programming before the eventual overheat/mid loop stop, so I believe it was just a bad out of box board.

The performance once stable is great on these and just getting into the hobby now, BLI is the most frequently available. I look forward to other manufacturer's full sound DCC releases!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrathfon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The performance once stable is great on
    Yeap. But sad for most of as. To pay 200-240$ for a lottery ticket and a lot of nerves, do not worth, is insane. I want a decent model, to run perfect, for hours, straigth from the box, without need of wheels clean, gauging, adjusting, reseting and all crapp. They just take the advantage of our resistance. As soon we buy, they do not care if good or not. They make good money even if the product is 50/50 percent good or bad. THEY DO NOT CARE. Is easy to take advantages of modelers in need of stuff.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gamitzu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I found with the sound of the Paragon 3 is the "distance" in the sound. It seems like the recording is meant to be simulating an engine in the distance.
    I have not decided what I think about this. It's a different sound from my Digitrax sound-equipped engines. I like the sound of the Digitrax system since they sound like you are standing right next to them. The Paragon sound isn't bad, it's just different compared to what I'm used to, they still sound great to me.

Ill ad a photo of the unit directly out of the box:

I'll also add a link to a short video where the sound is audible. Note, the video is quite shaky and a bit out of focus since I tried to film handheld, adjusting the focus at the same time as I tried to use the throttle to sound the horn. Needless to say, the video won't win any Oscars. But it might give some insight into the sound of a DCC paragon 3 unit without the rolling thunder system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcNV_Gfzgc4
    Small stuff makes me frustrated. Thats why im modeling N-scale.

Have anyone seen my layout? Because I sure haven't..

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sir_n For This Useful Post: