Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What are you buying this new first month (January 2019)?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat457 View Post
    Thanks guys and yeah, it isn't what you would call an "entry system" that's for sure.

Olie, I agree with you about keeping your SSD's for the basics. That is something that I have done for quite a few years with 2 SSD's installed, one for OS and the other for programming and an external 500 GB hard drive for everything else.

Speed is what I am after as well; as such, I have changed out the Crucial 1 TB SSD for this one:

https://i.imgur.com/HBh2Kph.jpg

Read speeds up to 3400 MB/s and write speeds up to 2500 MB/s. They pretty much blow conventional SSD speeds out of the water!

As for windows 10, well - my wife has it and I'm still not convinced by it, it's mandatory updates and how user "unfriendly" it seems to be compared to 7.
    Holy data transfer Batman!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,147 Times in 2,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am using Win 10 on all 4 of my computers , it even works well on the 10 year old one . But to each his own.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_2067.jpg

This just came in today. Finally going to have a gas station on the layout.
    WAAAAGH!! Wait, wrong hobby. TRAAAAAAIIIINNN!!

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mastergeebo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,866 Times in 5,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First purchases of the year... I visited the Great Train Show in Louisville over the weekend. Picked up some #5 turnouts for my Inglenook diorama (more on that later), a red Mini Cooper from Oxford Diecast ... very nice little car and they had a BUNCH of cool stuff at very reasonable prices... but unfortunately for us Americans, it's 1:148, not 1:160. I'm pretty sure it won't be all that noticeable, though.

AND, my favorite purchase, an actual conductor's switch list book from the Illinois Central, ca. 1909-1910. It is full of switch lists written in some guy's handwriting. I just love the thought that this was a guy's go-to everyday tool from over a hundred years ago.
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,147 Times in 2,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastergeebo View Post
    IMG_2067.jpg

This just came in today. Finally going to have a gas station on the layout.
    Great kit , I know I built it , but can't find a build thread , I'll see if I have any photo's of it otherwise I will take some , might be of use to you.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally getting time to work on the layout. (Been tied up for almost a year with other/family concerns.) I'm lookin forward to building these and getting them added to the layout. (Thankfully, I see that @Janbouli, is building one of these. Thanks!!!)

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JohnE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 712 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone -- long time no see... been busy with work and traveling international...

I got a nice lot in the mail today so figure I would post... Finally got what I hope will be a good DCC system (NCE w/ wireless apparently)... may be posting questions as I try to set this up... also came with several DCC locos, bunch of rolling stock, and enough Kato track that I may consider building a Unitrack layout...

Took a chance on this lot sight unseen (no pics) since it was a really good price and the guy seemed trustworthy (and for the price if I just got the DCC locos and DCC system it would be a really good deal). I have not tested the locos but I will go out on a limb and say I did quite well on this grab-bag lot (even though packaging was not great so quite a bit of detail work that I need to repair -- Caveat: the Bachmann 2-10-2 was apparently already broken so lets see if I can salvage it).

20190115_191103 -r.jpg 20190115_191138 -r.jpg
    20190115_191113 -r.jpg
    20190115_191123 -r.jpg

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks like an entire layout minus the scenery! eBay?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Facebook -- someone posted they just wanted to get rid of stuff since they were moving... I have been trying to find a reasonable priced better quality DCC setup so messaged him (and tried to make it easy for him since he seemed to just want to get it out the door and price was very low -- although he originally told me he just put everything loose in the shipping box and I kinda begged him to at least wrap stuff in paper towel which he went back and did).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    although he originally told me he just put everything loose in the shipping box and I kinda begged him to at least wrap stuff in paper towel which he went back and did.
    Oof...

I've seen some things... I once had a delivery truck driver come to my door empty handed, to apologize to me before I saw the package! I acquired a 1964 Friden EC-132 calculator... Mind you, in 1964, a calculator weighed in at just shy of 40 pounds, and had a CRT about like what you'd see on an old analog oscilloscope. The shipper packed it DIAGONALLY in a single ply box... With peanuts... Must have been the first bump of the truck, but the corners of the box tore out, and it dropped flat. Must have been hell to clean up the peanuts in the truck. I assured the delivery guy that he did the best he could, and that it wasn't his fault or the delivery company... It was the moron that packed it! To the credit of the shipper, you could literally just grab the machine and carry it around, with a floppy box around it. Some minor damage to the cover latches and the grill that covered the CRT neck, but thankfully, no damage to the electronics or CRT. I was always amused that the support number was a 5 digit phone number... I made sure to leave that tag intact! Really dates the machine!

Makes me wish I'd have taken photos of the box... Oh well. That was years ago. It really is absurd how some people treat shipping... "Oh, you just spent a hundred or hundreds of dollars on this thing... Here, let me toss it all in a box with a couple peanuts or whatever and find a carrier that'll ship it 18th class by by steam boat. Suuure... Glad the guy was willing to wrap the stuff up for protection of your sanity (and the train stuff too)!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to richfiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the flipside of your story, it's a testament of how well things were made back then. The calculator survived that trip!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 604 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Congrats, looks like a great haul! Even the loco-to-car ratio is somewhat reasonable

Heiko

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,311 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’m pretty boring this month. I picked up trucks, couplers, metal wheels, and cut levers to finish off my last 2 N Scale Kits HD flat cars. I was walking the layout over the weekend and it was a nice sensation to know that I have all the cars I need for it. I’m up to about 90% done with the scenery. I’ll be back to working on buildings pretty quick. Life is good.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac: which Facebook site?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Hey everyone -- long time no see... been busy with work and traveling international...

I got a nice lot in the mail today so figure I would post... Finally got what I hope will be a good DCC system (NCE w/ wireless apparently)... may be posting questions as I try to set this up... also came with several DCC locos, bunch of rolling stock, and enough Kato track that I may consider building a Unitrack layout...

Took a chance on this lot sight unseen (no pics) since it was a really good price and the guy seemed trustworthy (and for the price if I just got the DCC locos and DCC system it would be a really good deal). I have not tested the locos but I will go out on a limb and say I did quite well on this grab-bag lot (even though packaging was not great so quite a bit of detail work that I need to repair -- Caveat: the Bachmann 2-10-2 was apparently already broken so lets see if I can salvage it).

I'm sure you don't want those hideous looking Bombardier cars. I'll take them off your hands lol.

Nice reward on the lot for taking a chance sight unseen!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rook For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    I'm sure you don't want those hideous looking Bombardier cars. I'll take them off your hands lol.

Nice reward on the lot for taking a chance sight unseen!
    Yes those were a really nice surprise! I got very happy when I opened up the first one and it was in good shape... kinda random collection of cars -- normally I would assume that those cars would travel in 3's so not sure why those are mixed in here...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    Mac: which Facebook site?
    It was actually one of the modeling sites -- Model Trains... or Model Railroading... (which is not supposed to be for selling) but he posted "I am thinking of selling XXXX, what do people recommend" or something along those lines (so I guess they allowed it)... In a follow-up comment, he said a bit about what was in the lot and said what he wanted to get... I messaged him and we chatted a bit more and I told him that I could go on his word regarding what was in the lot. I actually did use Paypal Goods & Services so if it really had not been what he was saying I could have potentially taken it up with Paypal...

The good deals on Facebook are even fewer and further between than on Ebay it seems... frankly taking into account time investment is not worth it in the end (except maybe that looking for deals on trains is more fun than other things I should be doing)...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richfiles View Post
    Oof... I've seen some things...
    Wow... It is shocking how bad some people are at packing -- I cannot imagine that they do not realize that things bang around and break... I got 3 or 4 boxes this week that were poorly packed -- e.g., one was a really large box that was lined with large bubble wrap and had 3 locomotive jewel cases loose in the box bouncing around -- thankfully none of the jewel cases opened...

I worked for a moving company when I was in college so I got in the habit of packing things really carefully (both in a box and in a truck).

On the other hand, I am also sometimes amazed at how much stuff survives when things are poorly packed -- the factory paint on these things is pretty resistant in most cases.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0117190713.jpg

Snagged a couple more Honeymead covered hoppers and a tank car. Now I REALLY have to build a miniature version of the Honeymead facilities someday! I'd like to get another tank car or two. I do like that the tank cars reference the location of the company. Still blown away by my subconscious picking up on the brand... I have to have seen it around somewhere when I was younger!

Still waiting on that Osborne's shipment, but I got the photos yesterday of why I added what I did to that order. Can't wait for it to show up!
    Not tellin' what it is till I have it in person!

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to richfiles For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing so far this month is a PECO Double Crossover. Really need to start work (RR) again.