Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Prototype Photos Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,703 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's quite a few flat or spalled wheels on this loaded coal train eastbound into Custer, MT.
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rarely get out to trainwatch and we have only 1 train on Vancouver Island, but I did manage to catch it on the way home from work in Nanaimo. Its just dropped off Propane loads at a local dealer so its just a light engine move, but still, any train on the former Esquimalt and Nanaimo is a treat

I'm hoping one day to try and chase it around town as there are some really old fashioned looking scenes

Graham

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to grumbeast For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grumbeast View Post
    I rarely get out to trainwatch and we have only 1 train on Vancouver Island, but I did manage to catch it on the way home from work in Nanaimo. Its just dropped off Propane loads at a local dealer so its just a light engine move, but still, any train on the former Esquimalt and Nanaimo is a treat

I'm hoping one day to try and chase it around town as there are some really old fashioned looking scenes

Graham
    More, please! What's not to like? Great paint scheme, the old mechanical gongs, early Geeps but low-nosed, on track that needs the undercutter and a surfacing gang!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am glad to hear there's 1 train rather than 0 this year... rail service on Vancouver Island has been teetering on the brink of being lost forever for so many years now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It still is teetering unfortunately, but there is still interest in keeping it around. I'm slightly heartened by the fact that there have been some upgrades at a few crossings recently, and I saw a railbarge here a little while ago (and unfortunately I had no camera and time! AARGH!)

I do wish there was more but I really have to make a concerted effort to try and chase this train as I can hear it from work and home!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see more videos of it very cool to see it going through what looks like neighborhoods on unmaintained tracks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to be involved with the electrical upgrade of those 2 former MRL units back in 1995-6, and it is good to see them still running out there.

Here's a vid I took on Fathers Day morning of the Miles City local heading out,

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taken at Squamish BC last week.. so lucky to catch it

90AA7E71-F33C-40B0-892F-3FFA2056A780.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to grumbeast For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 645 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation by RailController

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Metrolink For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 645 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation by RailController

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Metrolink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 490 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Former Alaska Railroad 1920 Baldwin 4-6-0 #152 burning coal on former Pere Marquette trackage at the Huckleberry Railroad near Flint MI. The occasion was my granddaughter's 6th birthday and we got to ride in the caboose tower.
    IMG_7983.jpg

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 269 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Jersey Transit is showing off heritage labeled bi-level passenger coaches. You can see them all here: https://www.railwayage.com/news/njt-...itage-coaches/
    But the best one is:

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rick773 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent the last couple of days chasing to St.Paul and finding the 4014! Brought a buddy, who hasn't seen a steamer in action since 47 or so! And we did catch it several times, and missed it a couple of times, too! Fun times and some great chasing!PIC_0046.jpgPIC_0033.jpgPIC_0050.jpgPIC_0055.jpgPIC_0098.jpgPIC_0107.jpg

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 523 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paid a visit to CSX's Henderson Subdivision yesterday.

CSX Q025 passes through the small town of Robards,KY, ten miles south of Henderson. I heard him on the radio while driving from Owensboro to Henderson and thought he might be south of Henderson but he actually wasn't. This allowed me to head south to catch him.
    CSX Q025, Robards,KY 7/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    CSX Q025 passes the north end of the siding at Slaughters,KY. Q025 had a little over 10,000 ft of train, and ended up having air compressor issues with the DPU locomotive near Nortonville which required the conductor to walk the train.
    CSX Q025, Slaughters,KY 7/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    Not far behind Q025 was southbound ethanol train K708 (Lafayette,IN-Tampa,FL I'm guessing), also seen passing the north end of the siding at Slaughters,KY.
    CSX K708, Slaughters,KY 7/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    K708 crawls through the curves at Nortonville, slowing down in preparation to help the stopped Q025 ahead figure out their issue. After bringing the second locomotive on the head end of Q025 online, the train was able to head south, with K708 behind it.
    CSX K708, Nortonville,KY 7/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    CSX N040 (Oaktown,IN-Taft,FL) rolls through Nortonville. N040 would wait here for a long northbound E019 (12k ft) before heading south. While this part of the HD is maybe my favorite location to photograph trains, the sun had started to move so I went south. I watched K708 meet E019 at Crofton, 10 miles south, and knew I would have some time before N040 caught up with me.
    CSX N040, Nortonville,KY 7/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    CSX N040 takes the siding at the north end of Crofton in order to meet Q026, a northbound intermodal train. The dispatcher described it as a "headlight meet", while N040 stopped in the siding, Q026 only had to slow to a crawl to wait for the coal train to get out of the way.
    CSX N040, Crofton,KY 7/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    I was hoping to catch Q026 meeting N040 at the north end of Crofton (it wasn't far off), but had to settle for the lead unit of Q026 (#845) passing the DPU on the rear of N040 (#3001)
    N040 DPU / Q026 Lead Unit, Crofton,KY 7/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    I drove south thinking I might have a chance at a northbound or two. I heard Q500 call a signal as I went through Pembroke, but wasn't sure I could get to the tracks. I ended up meeting him as I went over the tracks on an overpass on US 41 south of town. Once I got close to Guthrie I heard J732 also call signals north but couldn't reach him either. I went through Guthrie to see if R.J. Corman had anything parked outside of their shops and noticed that the caboose on display has a new addition, a former "switcher" from the nearby Koppers tie plant, looking a bit rough.
    Guthrie Railroad Display, Guthrie,KY 7/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    Koppers Tie Plant Switcher, Guthrie,KY 7/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today was the first day of C&O 2716's big move from New Haven to Ravenna,KY. I saw some of the action at Lebanon Junction but didn't chase the train... would rather see it under steam anyway.
    Clinchfield 800, Lebanon Junction,KY 7/26/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    CSX Q574 / C&O 2716, Lebanon Junction,KY 7/26/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    CSX Q574 / Clinchfield 800, Lebanon Junction,KY 7/26/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    CSX Q211-26, Lebanon Junction,KY 7/26/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An overhead video of 4014

http://<iframe src="https://player.v...lt;/iframe>

OK, so I ain't sure how to get a vimeo vid to post here. It won't embed or link....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I paid a visit to NS in central Kentucky for the first time since June. I was a bit curious if Norfolk Southern's new Top21 operating plan had changed anything on the railroad. Other than a few different numbers, it was busy as ever. Trains seen here are 170 at North Wye, followed by 179,171,215 and 143 at Kings Mountain. Also saw 288, 216, 229 and 295, and missed a couple others.

NS 170, North Wye, Faulconer,KY 8/8/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    NS 179, Kings Mountain,KY 8/8/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    NS 171, Kings Mountain,KY 8/8/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    NS 215, Kings Mountain,KY 8/8/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    NS 143, Kings Mountain,KY 8/8/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

After the late morning/early afternoon rush on NS ended, I headed up to Versailles ,KY to try to catch R.J. Corman's local working the LL branch, a former Southern Railway line between Lexington,KY and Lawrenceburg,KY. The line was a through line until the mid 80s after a runaway coal train derailed on the branch to a power plant on the Kentucky River at Tyrone. Today Corman serves Lexington-Versailles, while the Bluegrass Railway Museum operates from Versailles to Young's High Bridge at Tyrone. If you feel brave enough, bungee jumping is offered to those brave enough to jump off Young's High Bridge, which is almost 300 feet above the waters of the Kentucky River!

RJ Corman RP20BD #2016 pulls foward with two loaded hoppers to back into the spur at Ledvance, a plant that makes florescent light bulbs.
    RJC 2016, Versailles,KY 8/8/2019 (1) by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    RJC 2016 pulls forward to couple the second engine to the rear of the train for a return trip to Lexington. This is as far as the train can go before reaching the BGRM's trackage (I was standing by BGRM tracks and between 2 derails and knew the train wasn't going to cross the road.)
    RJC 2016, Versailles,KY 8/8/2019 (2) by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    Its work complete, the RJC local begins its trek back towards Lexington. This wooden trestle is one of several on the former Southern Railway line that ran between Lexington and Lawrenceburg,KY. The locomotive of the train is crossing over the former right-of-way of another railroad, the Richmond, Nicholasville, Irvine & Beattyville, better known as the "Riney-B" (which is much easier to say!).
    RJC Local, Versailles,KY 8/8/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    R.J. Corman's Railpower RP20BD isn't the most visually pleasing engine out there, but it's definitely unique looking.
    RJC 2016, Versailles,KY 8/8/2019 (3) by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    I took one more shot of the train crossing the wooden trestle just east of Versailles before heading home for the day.
    RJC 2016, Versailles,KY 8/8/2019 (4) by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to take a friend to Billings for the day. We quick stopped at a rest area and I was able to get this video. The Yellowstone sure looks nice this time of year.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the Sunday before I caught this oil can heading in to Glendive following the creek down from Beaver Hill.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday I drove out to western Kentucky to CSX's Henderson Subdivision. A friend had told me that Wednesday was usually one of the busier days for the line, which sees up to 25 trains daily. The weather forecast was also a good one, with no clouds and temps barely reaching past 80*F, which meant being outside wouldn't be unbearable.

I made it to Crofton shortly after 8am local time, and did not have to wait too long. Thanks to a scanner app on my phone, I heard G438 clear signals at "Latham", on the north side of Hopkinsville, about 15 miles to the south. G438 was a solid train of grain hoppers, and was a long one, with the defect detector reporting 738 axles (720 minus the locomotives' axles), and the train took awhile to pass! I photographed it at the north end of Crofton, near a large park that sits by the tracks.

CSX G438, Crofton,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

Not far behind was train J732, a local running out of Casky Yard south of Hopkinsville to Madisonville to work at Atkinson Yard there. J732 is a "turn", meaning it originates at a yard, heads out to a certain point, and then returns to the yard it originated from, all in the same day.
    CSX J732, Crofton,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

I followed J732 north to Madisonville, watching it work at Atkinson Yard for a short time before deciding to head back south. The dispatcher mentioned a Q025 passing Robards 30 miles north, so I wanted to be at a spot in Nortonville in time for them. I arrived in Nortonville but it wasn't long before the first train arrived. Q029 is an intermodal train from 59th Street Yard in Chicago to Fairburn,GA, and is the highest priority train on the line. He wasn't calling any of the signals so I didn't know he was close until I heard him blowing for crossings north of Nortonville.
    CSX Q029, Nortonville,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    Q025, the intermodal train I had heard earlier, was not far behind Q029, which is usually the case most days over here.
    CSX Q025, Nortonville,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    After Q025 passed, a third southbound started calling signals on the radio. This was train Q241, a solid unit train of autoracks. In the ten years or so I've been railfanning this line, this was the first autorack train I've seen over here. Most run out of the Louisville area, 100+ miles to the east, but anything going south usually takes the Main Line Subdivision. A couple of trains use the "Texas" which connects to the Henderson Subdivision at Henderson, but those trains typically go north towards Chicago.
    CSX Q241, Nortonville,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    Behind Q241 was J732, having finished its work at Atkinson Yard and returning back south towards Casky.
    CSX J732, Nortonville,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    I thought I was going to get a break with the local running south, but I heard another train on the radio. This was N041, a loaded coal train out of Indiana. The dispatcher told him he would meet one at Nortonville, so I figured he would at least pass me like the other four southbounds had. After waiting, I drove a couple miles north to find him sitting at the signals at a place called "Oak Hill", right in the middle of Nortonville. He met Q028 at Nortonville before proceeding south.
    CSX N041, "Oak Hill", Nortonville,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    After this meet, the dispatcher on the radio had mentioned two more trains waiting on the cut-off main at Morton's Gap. The line splits in 2 as it gets near the south end of Madisonville, with one line going into the yard and the other acting as a "bypass", with the lines rejoining at "Arklow" on the north side of Madisonville. Knowing these two southbounds would soon be moving, I drove south back to Crofton. G136 was the first southbound, and he took the siding at Crofton to meet a northbound grain train. You can tell autumn is not far off, as all these grain trains have started running.
    CSX G136, Crofton,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    I drove a few more miles south to Kelly, and caught G136 again coming into town.
    CSX G136, Kelly,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    After a short wait, the second southbound also showed up, Q503. While being a somewhat longer train, his two locomotives were split in the train, one leading, and the other acting as mid-train helper. Q503 took the siding at Kelly to meet northbound Q026.
    CSX Q503, Kelly,KY 8/28/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post: