Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 Prototype Photos Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 4,497 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great pics as usual, Jeff. I appreciate the commentary that accompanies them.

Paul

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 543 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSX Q575-24 is southbound at Campbellsburg,KY on CSX's LCL Subdivision, better known as the "Short Line". The name has nothing do with Monopoly, but the line was once the shortest of several railroad routes between Cincinnati and Louisville. Campbellsburg sits at the top of a grade on the railroad, with trains pulling up from either direction. The two ET44AH (with a third as DPU) have their hands full with a 161 car train.
    CSX Q575-24, Campbellsburg,KY 9/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

An old British steam locomotive on display in La Grange,KY.
    "Flying Duchess" La Grange,KY, 9/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

Yesterday I decided to drive out to Illinois to one of my favorite hobby shops, it'd been a year since my last (and only) visit and I was itching to get back. On my way over I decided to swing by CSX's Henderson Subdivision. Getting off the parkway south of Nortonville, I saw a northbound coal train going into the siding at Romney. I hurried up US 41 to my favorite spot, the curved double track south of Nortonville. I snapped a couple photos of E013 coming north, but as soon as he got close I turned around and saw Q025 coming south down the main, and knew I had a meet. Getting a meet with both trains moving is quite difficult, but I got lucky with the timing.
    CSX E013/Q025, Nortonville,KY 9/25/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

After visiting the shop, I drove around Marion,IL to find the Crab Orchard & Egyptian railroad. It's a short line that interchanges with the Union Pacific, and I was lucky enough to find the engine by the shed. They were still switching when I arrived, so I pulled into an adjacent parking lot to snap photos. One of the crewmembers decided to shout at me and tell me that while I could take photos, I "couldn't post them on social media"...well, I'd understand if I were taking photos of the, but the shots I took were the same kind of shots I've taken hundreds, if not thousands of times, so I'm posting them anyway. There's plenty of other photos on Flickr as it is of the railroad. A friend who works for BNSF in Illinois told me that the crew is a bit weird about things, so I'll leave it at that.
    Crab Orchard & Egyptian #33, Marion,IL 9/25/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    Crab Orchard & Egyptian #33, Marion,IL 9/25/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

On my way back towards home, I stopped in Morganfield,Kentucky and snapped a photo of an old Missouri Pacific boxcar. It was sitting on blocks at an industry near town. The former Illinois Central right-of-way is about 50 yards from here, and is probably how the car got to Morganfield. These days there's probably not an active railroad within 30 miles of Morganfield. Another friend told me that the car was once set up to be pulled as a trailer on the highway, which would've been interesting to see!
    Missouri Pacific Boxcar, Morganfield,KY 9/25/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,850 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Some nice shots of the CSX there!
    I stopped railfanning back before the BNSF merger. At the time I was getting real tired of shooting BN SD40-2's and C30-7's.
    BN still had their LMX and some Oakways on the property, but they were getting rare.
    When I watch trains today I'll see some of the old Cascade green and find myself actually missing those BN SD40-2's and the C30-7's

The Northwestern (CNW) was one of my favorite roads to shoot, that is until Uncle Borg took that away.
    Today all you see are the ACE's and Super Toasters.
    Although BNSF does have quite a roster of 4 axle locos but most of them are locals or yard duty.
    Just isn't as fun as was back then, nothing better than seeing a trio of old SD9's pulling their guts out with a long train behind them.

Sorry, I'm rambling.
    Thanks for posting your pics!

@SimRacin14
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,497 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimRacin14 View Post
    One of the crewmembers decided to shout at me and tell me that while I could take photos, I "couldn't post them on social media"...
    You're safe with that, Sim. Until you start posting photos of what you had for dinner along with your train shots, this ain't social media.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like the RP20BD.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rook For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NS 223 yesterday at Waddy. The railroads weren't terribly busy until late in the afternoon when I decided to go home.

NS 223, Waddy,KY 9/27/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday I traveled out to Western Kentucky to CSX's Henderson Subdivision. I had at least one new photo angle in mind that I wanted to try. I made it to Nortonville and all the way up to Slaughters (about 25 miles), parking at a farm implement place along U.S. 41. A small field sits between the RoW and 41 and was cleared not too long ago, opening up the view towards the tracks. After a short wait, Q029 came south, with nearly 9,600 feet of train.

CSX Q029, Slaughters,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

I noticed it had CSX #1 leading, the "Spirit of West Virginia". Low numbered CSX diesels aren't common (for obvious reasons), so I gave chase. I've shot a few single digit CSX locos before, including #1, but wanted some more photos. (#3 is the one I'd really like to get, simply for the story behind it about its apparent "collision" with a UFO in 2002)

I raced down to Nortonville, my usual spot these days, and waited. When the train got close a large cloud rolled over, and I was thinking my shot was going to be ruined. The cloud moved on though, and I got lucky.
    CSX Q029, Nortonville,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    CSX Q029, Nortonville,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

Fifteen minutes later, a second southbound, Q025 arrived, once again showing up just as the clouds cleared. 025 was over 10k feet in length and had CSX 819 as the DPU.
    CSX Q025, Nortonville,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

After Q025 passed it got quiet for awhile. There were several northbound trains (L512, J732, E013) but the light for northbounds isn't that great. I called it a day and began making my way towards home. When I got close to Leitchfield, I heard the Paducah & Louisville dispatcher talking on the radio. A local was working at Leitchfield, but a southbound had just been cleared through Vine Grove to the north. I got off the parkway at Eastview but couldn't find a photo angle I liked. I drove up the road a mile or so to Stephensburg, and gave this angle a try. Leading the train was one of the PAL's University paint schemes... I always seem to get the UofK engines...I want the UofL one.
    PAL LG1, Stephensburg,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,384 Times in 969 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimRacin14 View Post
    (#3 is the one I'd really like to get, simply for the story behind it about its apparent "collision" with a UFO in 2002)

Had to look that one up:

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/66150.aspx

Thanks for the pics and write ups.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFan View Post

Had to look that one up:

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/66150.aspx

Thanks for the pics and write ups.
    I don't know if the story is really true, but it's a fun one. I guess E.T. doesn't have Operation Lifesaver wherever they're from?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went out to CSX's LH&STL Sub (the "Texas") yesterday in hopes of chasing Q217... ended up missing it because it ran really early and was most of the way to Louisville before sunrise. Did end up catching J755-20 leaving Doe Run near Brandenburg though.

CSX J755-20, Doe Run, Brandenburg,KY 10/22/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
    CSX 900019 - Doe Run, Brandenburg,KY 10/22/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got the shot I wanted on the "Texas" that I didn't get Tuesday when the train ran much earlier than I expected:
    CSX Q217-22, Irvington,KY 10/24/2019 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post: