Thread: Weekend Update (11th Jan 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 Times in 979 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ranulf View Post
    I dunno... That looks plenty ept to me! Glad you like the new shell tho. What else does Bill Denton make? Does he have a website?
    I appreciate that, but this was a while ago and I think I could probably do better now. At the time I had a lot of struggles getting the windows covered up properly. And even though this was one of my better attempts (after many aborted tries), I still don't think it looks all that good. In fact, if anybody actually wants that old shell, you're welcome to it (all I ask it that you cover the postage).

Yes, Bill has tons of high quality cool stuff and he also has a website. If you see something you might want, better get it now!

http://skytopmodels.com/

-Mark

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    Thanks, Allen. And I'll tell you the same thing I told my wife last week when I showed her my new lit-up cars and she asked me why they don't drive up and down the street - "uhh, working on it"

-Mark
    Reminded me of the time my former sister-in-law saw my layout after some scenery work.

Says she: "I really like your rocks."

Pregnant pause. ...

Brother and I collapse in paroxysmal laughter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,756 Times in 3,371 Posts
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moose making progress on forest ... Not done yet, still need flocking...

1 - Fangorn Forest 20190112_181637.jpg
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 182 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mighty nice looking forest there Moose. You my fine that it takes a lot of trees to make the forest.

Robert

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwslater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwslater View Post
    Mighty nice looking forest there Moose. You my fine that it takes a lot of trees to make the forest.

Robert
    Thank you very much Robert, much appreciated! Yes, many many trees it will take, and still need a backdrop before placing these on layout...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Yes, many many trees it will take
    The trees are looking great. I loved making trees, a grand total of 747 for a 6'x5' L layout !! Are you going to paint your own backdrop ?

Tom

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomcook View Post
    The trees are looking great. I loved making trees, a grand total of 747 for a 6'x5' L layout !! Are you going to paint your own backdrop ?

Tom
    Probably, Mr & Mrs Moose currently discussing backdrop ideas. Moose suggesting Mrs Moose paint something relatively simple. Mrs Moose point out backdrop for town area not gonna be a simple paint job if have buildings, so not sure what to do there...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    Too small for a smoke generator, but maybe enough room for a blinking red LED (Evan Designs has a nano size LED that might fit). You could then leave the lid partly open....oh, but then you’d have to model the burgers.
    What about "central smoke". Have one smoke or fog generator of some sort under the bench, and have that feed several features via tubing. One of the very first buildings I ever built in N scale was a log cabin made from dowels. The chimney was made from plaster, and had a tube inserted into it, so if I ever wanted smoke, I could feed it through the tube.

Thanks, Allen. And I'll tell you the same thing I told my wife last week when I showed her my new lit-up cars and she asked me why they don't drive up and down the street - "uhh, working on it"
    This is the madness that drives the detail modeler... mad... We make the trains move, but not the cars. One thing that's popped into my own mind for years was linear motors. Back at my old job, we built linear motors. These motors were like a miniature "mag-lev", in that they had coils running along a track, and a carriage that had permanent magnets. Controlling the coils allowed linear motion of the carriage along the track. I suspect it ought to be well possible to have coils under the road, and magnets in every vehicle. If you PWM the magnets, and have a rectified coil inside the car, and a capacitor, then that could even wirelessly power LEDs...

The problem is simple... Complexity...

That's a LOT of effort to make cars move. Every vehicle would need to be modded with magnets and electronics, and have rolling wheels (or at least a very low friction bottom). Every road to be traveled would need tightly spaced coils and active electronics. The controller would need to commutate the coils on every inch of road... This can be easy (really hard) or hard (dear God help me), depending on the level of control...

At it's simplest, you could have simple road loops... Non intersecting paths in the road that space cars out by uniform gaps, and control multiple coils in parallel. Basically, you drive a short stretch of coils with a looping pattern to move cars over the top. You repeat the pattern down the road by having the same control line control, say every 20th coil. There is no deviation possible for cars running this setup. They just loopedy-loop along a predefined path.

The more complex method of control is... Intense... The controller would need to keep track of every car, not like DCC though. It would need to know the location of every car on the road, and would actually be handling the commutation of every coil in every inch of road separately. You'd need to address hundreds or thousands of coils separately. You'd be able to have things like intersections though, and cars could travel their own programmed paths. They could stop at stop signs and traffic lights. They could stop at grade crossings, and other traffic could continue moving, elsewhere. The complexity is why you just don't see it done though. It hurts my brain thinking about, and it hurts my brain even more thinking about how awful it would be if a car got stuck, and caused a traffic pileup... Resetting the thing would be awful.

There could be a hybrid of the two, where intersections are individually controlled coils, and straight sections are made up of the repeating coil patterns. Grade crossings and stops are areas to be careful with... You couldn't feed more cars than you have uniquely addressed coils for, or you'd have to stop all cars on that stretch of road to stop them for the crossing.

This might not be a bad setup for a town like Hope though, where there is just one main drag. Just run cars in a loop. Up the road, then back down again... Repeat the loop endlessly, with no deviation. Whether you loop the ends in an "off view" area, or if you have a city block where they can make the loop, or loop around a facility... However it's done... That's how.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richfiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moose making progress on forest ... Not done yet, still need flocking...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwslater View Post
    Thank you very much Robert, much appreciated! Yes, many many trees it will take, and still need a backdrop before placing these on layout...
    That's a lot of flocking trees!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richfiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 Times in 979 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richfiles View Post
    That's a LOT of effort to make cars move.
    I do seem to recall a RTR road system where cars actually do drive around sort of independently (not that I would ever bother with something like that on my own layout). My memory says that the sample had a bus driving up and down a road to a ski chalet or something.

Edit - looks like Faller makes the system I was trying to remember. It's pretty cool -

-Mark

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moose completed growing branches on another 15 small trees this morning ... After lunch, the flocking will commence!

15 trees on left grown this morning...

1 - More Trees 20190113_104743.jpg

P.S. Most of these trees range from 60 - 107 feet tall, with the exception of Buster on far right (curved trunk) which is 140 feet tall...

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moose got the flock out! ... ... ... And commenced flocking the trees. Yeah!

The flocking -- Woodland Scenics T41 Fine Turf Soil -- really changes the character of the trees ... Kinda good & kinda bad. It blends the "tree branch" structures together so you don't see the criss-cross of the filter material as well, but it tends to create too much density in the crown ... It is what it is...

Moose presents, 41 small trees, flocked:

1 - Flocked trees 20190113_122609.jpg

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You did a good flocking job there Moose!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 604 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do seem to recall a RTR road system where cars actually do drive around sort of independently (not that I would ever bother with something like that on my own layout). My memory says that the sample had a bus driving up and down a road to a ski chalet or something.

Edit - looks like Faller makes the system I was trying to remember. It's pretty cool
    That is an incredibly cool system - I've been building a truck based on the Kato Volvo to run like that. We'll see when it ever comes to something... there's always so many things to be done first, probably I'll have to replace the battery because it's too old by now...

The guys at Miniatur-Wunderland have over-perfected that system including planes taxiing on the airfield (albeit in H0): https://tagebuch.miniatur-wunderland...rwehr-einsatz/ https://tagebuch.miniatur-wunderland...ingen-airport/

And they are also implementing a different one based on the "little coils in the road" principle for a Formula 1 racetrack: https://tagebuch.miniatur-wunderland...co-grand-prix/ https://tagebuch.miniatur-wunderland...1-rennstrecke/

Heiko

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished up some storefront detailing this afternoon (hey, gotta do something while the paint dries on other projects, lol) -

https://www.nscale.net/forums/cache....ayoutf1031.jpg

I'm so happy that Woodland Scenics actually makes an old-school push mower. I tried making one myself and it looked like something you'd use to smooth out the road after laying tar

https://www.nscale.net/forums/cache....ayoutf1032.jpg

https://www.nscale.net/forums/cache....ayoutf1033.jpg

https://www.nscale.net/forums/cache....ayoutf1034.jpg

I don't know what the kerfuffle is at the antique store, but it looks serious

-Mark
    Your modeling skills have improved a lot since the Scenic Ridge days
    Modeling the Pacific Electric Playa Desnuda Branch in N Scale

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bremner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Faller makes the system I was trying to remember. It's pretty cool -Mark
    Yup. That system is different, in that it places a guide wire and magnets in the road, and the bus or trucks have a small battery and motor inside it, complete with steering. Its more like our trains, but with sensors and magnets, and a steering mechanism to facilitate steering and stops, rather than simple flanges guided by a track. The biggest issue with it, obviously, is size. As far as I'm aware, only larger vehicles are currently supported. You can have large trucks and buses on the road, cause they have room for all the guts inside. Cars are still not really "there" yet. I've heard of a few custom things, but the The system also delivers no power at all. Trucks and buses have a finite run time, and must be removed and recharged periodically. I saw at least one drive through power charging station on youtube. That was cool, but still limited to larger trucks and vehicles.

I guess having worked in the industrial motor industry, I tend to err toward linear drive vs self contained self powered vehicles. The benefit of linear drive, would simply be that you don't have battery maintenance, and per vehicle costs are low. You have the initial cost investment and labor of laying down the coils under the road lanes, and figuring out how to drive it all. The benefit is that there is little limitation to how small your vehicles can get, provided you can hide the magnets inside it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    And they are also implementing a different one based on the "little coils in the road" principle for a Formula 1 racetrack: https://tagebuch.miniatur-wunderland...co-grand-prix/
    Heiko
    I about died laughing when they did the office chair race using energy drink cans to mimic Formula One sounds!

That system is pretty amazing, and it's like what I envision... But yes, it's very complex.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,418 Times in 986 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have that Faller system, Mark. At the train show this weekend my bus ran 7 hours Saturday and 6 on Sunday. It stops at the waterfront, the Hauptbahnhof, and the Rathaus (city hall, Germans have a way with words).
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,418 Times in 986 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have that Faller system, Mark. At the train show this weekend my bus ran 7 hours Saturday and 6 on Sunday. It stops at the waterfront, the Hauptbahnhof, and the Rathaus (city hall, Germans have a way with words).

Sorry, no video tonight, I'm exhausted.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Thanked 2,360 Times in 977 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)