Thread: Pictures from the Amherst Railroad Hobby Show - Springfield, Massachusetts

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pictures from the Amherst Railroad Hobby Show - Springfield, Massachusetts

I know Moose loves pictures so this will keep him full for awhile.

I was not as proliferant in taking pictures this time as I was in the past. I skipped the vendor/manufacturer pics so these pictures are mostly layout pictures (100+). A mix of as many N as I can find and some HO.

Click for Amherst pictures

A little self bragging, yours truly did take in First Place for Prototype Photography at Winterfest which came with a $50 gift certificate to The N-Scale Architect. Thank you N-Scale Architect and all the vendors that provided prizes.

It was a great show and Saturday brought in 11,000 visitors. Total attendance was 21,000. Looking forward to next year's show.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,977 Times in 2,804 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Photo's Mike , may I ask what camera and especially which lenses do you use at shows?
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great photos! Thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, nice depth of field there.
    WAAAAGH!! Wait, wrong hobby. TRAAAAAAIIIINNN!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Great Photo's Mike , may I ask what camera and especially which lenses do you use at shows?
    Thanks Jan! I was using a Nikon D500 for these pictures. Yeah, I know, a sport camera... LOL! But I can't afford two pro bodies for sports and non-sports. The lens was my walk around consumer lens, Nikon 18-140 with stabilization (VR). It's one of Nikon's sharper consumer lens that is under the radar. Got it used for half the price.

I was trying to balance shutter speed and f-stop. These were taken all hand held (other than the group shot on a tripod) at ISO 3200 and f/6.3, VR turned on. I should have jacked the f-stop to f/8 and increase the ISO even more, perhaps around 5000. There is a point where even VR may not help and the lighting was horrible so I played it on the safe side and picked f/6.3 as a compromise.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,396 Times in 3,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations on the photo award and thank you for posting tonnes of photos! Makes a Moose very happy...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Moose Stampede would not be fun and we all fear and know that!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 746 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it was a great show and some very nice photography. I counted at least 6 shots of European layouts. (but no trains). Was there more than one, or were those all pics of a single German layout?
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,843 Times in 3,494 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice pics! I really like the one of three coal hoppers up on the dump trestle, but I think my overall fave is Old Snaggletooth.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Thanks Jan! I was using a Nikon D500 for these pictures. Yeah, I know, a sport camera... LOL! But I can't afford two pro bodies for sports and non-sports. The lens was my walk around consumer lens, Nikon 18-140 with stabilization (VR). It's one of Nikon's sharper consumer lens that is under the radar. Got it used for half the price.

I was trying to balance shutter speed and f-stop. These were taken all hand held (other than the group shot on a tripod) at ISO 3200 and f/6.3, VR turned on. I should have jacked the f-stop to f/8 and increase the ISO even more, perhaps around 5000. There is a point where even VR may not help and the lighting was horrible so I played it on the safe side and picked f/6.3 as a compromise.
    Thanks Mike , I got myself a Sony a68 last year , not a pro cam either , but a long way better then what I used to have. I used a 70- 300 and 18-50 last show , wasn't bad but not great either. The 70-300 is a great lens ( cost more then the camera ) but with lighting at some shows it's hard to get nice longer focal points , and with the 18-50 It's not always close enough to zoom in enough. I was thinking of getting a 18-135 3.5-5.6 and max 22-36 , on my camera that would be a 27-200 zoom range and a good range in aperture. Your photo's just convinced me I do want this lens.

My Flickr Pages

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    Looks like it was a great show and some very nice photography. I counted at least 6 shots of European layouts. (but no trains). Was there more than one, or were those all pics of a single German layout?
    Yes, there were more than one European layout, probably about 3-4 from memory. I over heard someone say they were like 60 layouts (all scale) at the show. The entire show took up 4 fairground buildings and almost 9 acres!

Most of the photos I took didn't have trains on the layout because I took them before the show was opened to the public. Otherwise it would be so crowded and crazy. As a club member with a running club layout at the show we were treated like vendors and had early access each day as well as setup day on Friday. Most people took the locos and rolling stocks back to the hotel after each day for security purposes. The layouts really didn't get going until the doors were opened the the public at 9am/10am.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Thanks Mike , I got myself a Sony a68 last year , not a pro cam either , but a long way better then what I used to have. I used a 70- 300 and 18-50 last show , wasn't bad but not great either. The 70-300 is a great lens ( cost more then the camera ) but with lighting at some shows it's hard to get nice longer focal points , and with the 18-50 It's not always close enough to zoom in enough. I was thinking of getting a 18-135 3.5-5.6 and max 22-36 , on my camera that would be a 27-200 zoom range and a good range in aperture. Your photo's just convinced me I do want this lens.
    Jan, I agree. Not only that, the constant switching of your short and long zooms can be a pain in a crowded (and often dusty) train show. I was going to go for a 18-200 but it was most costly, bigger and more distortion (more zoom) than the 18-140. My 18-140 is a $500 lens new that I got for $200 used in pristine condition. It really covers the focal range quite well for train shows. I was pressed for time so I didn't get wider shots of people around the layouts but with 18 on the wide end, it would have done a marvelous job at that too.

Yes, get the 18-135. My prediction is that it will make you 18-50 stay at home quite often, unless it's a f/2.8 zoom.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Yes, get the 18-135. My prediction is that it will make you 18-50 stay at home quite often, unless it's a f/2.8 zoom.
    Already bidding on one as we speak , and my kit lens is a 18-55 3.5 , so yes that might end on Ebay or something, won't have room for it in my camera bag anyway.

My Flickr Pages

Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it also stays in focus as you zoom in and out then it makes taking photos a lot easier and also makes zooming during movie shooting possible.