Thread: Is there an N Scale coupler compatibility list?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is there an N Scale coupler compatibility list?

I was wondering if anyone ever put such a list together. I also realize "compatibility" means different things to different folks. If you are doing automatic un-coupling, compatibility won't be as wide spread as it will be for someone who only wants to connect two cars together. Unfortunately I don't have too many different brands of couplers on my rolling stock yet but as I buy more things, especially on EBay, I am always concerned about whether the couplers will work on my layout. The only problematic coupling issue I have found is with Scale Trains couplers. I can eventually get them connected to other couplers but I have to do that manually as they don't want to connect by backing into a car.

Thanks.

Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 746 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I presume you are talking about knuckle couplers.

In the non-knuckle category I have both Rapido (standard) and Fleischmann Profi couplers, neither of which will work with the knuckle type. In fact, they are not compatible with each other. The Profi couplings join together more gently than the Rapido, and shorten the distance between cars just a fraction. With some models of passenger cars (Arnold, Hobbytrain) the Profi couplings are too tight, causing derailments on small radius curves. I use them where I can for the tighter spacing of passenger cars and for the ability to uncouple freight cars on the rare occasions that I run freight.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes....I am speaking strictly of knuckle couplers compatibility.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen anything definitive. I know from experience that Kato won't couple with MTL unless you lift one over the other and that Blufords work with MTL but will seldom magnetically uncouple. IMO anything I buy better either play nice with MTL or have an easy conversion from MTL; not always the case when the coupler box top is molded onto the car. Some links that might help...

History: https://www.nscaledivision.com/infor...n_couplers.htm
    Recent evaluation: http://www.fiferhobby.com/n-scale-coupler-evaluation/
    Another: http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstips...dcouplers.html

Criteria for any particular combo:
    Couples when bumped to another car (Yes, never, and yeah if you hold the car down and push real hard).
    Doesn't randomly uncouple when pulling a long train (even the 30-year-old MTL to MTLs didn't meet this criterion)
    Magnetically uncouples (yes, on a good day, when hell freezes over, not supported)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    I've never seen anything definitive. I know from experience that Kato won't couple with MTL unless you lift one over the other and that Blufords work with MTL but will seldom magnetically uncouple. IMO anything I buy better either play nice with MTL or have an easy conversion from MTL; not always the case when the coupler box top is molded onto the car. Some links that might help...

History: https://www.nscaledivision.com/infor...n_couplers.htm
    Recent evaluation: http://www.fiferhobby.com/n-scale-coupler-evaluation/
    Another: http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstips...dcouplers.html

Criteria for any particular combo:
    Couples when bumped to another car (Yes, never, and yeah if you hold the car down and push real hard).
    Doesn't randomly uncouple when pulling a long train (even the 30-year-old MTL to MTLs didn't meet this criterion)
    Magnetically uncouples (yes, on a good day, when hell freezes over, not supported)
    Those articles are helpful. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,283 Times in 794 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re scaletrains.com's couplers, I don't think they even readily couple with themselves. Not sure what they were thinking with that design, they may as well be Unimates.

-Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 563 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a personal note: I'm replacing everything with MTL (1015 or 2004, because of the reduced slinky effect compared to the "old standard" MTLs - the spring is in the pushing stage, not in the pulling stage).

That's because this has been my experience:

McHenry couplers couple and don't uncouple, but don't couple as gently as MTLs - most of the times a car will move when you couple to it
    Accumate couplers mostly couple and mostly don't uncouple, but you will have the car move if you couple to it
    Kato couplers don't couple unless you run hard against them, at least they don't uncouple (so could be an option for unit trains/passenger trains)
    MTL-McHenry works, MTL-Accumate mostly works, MTL-Kato sometimes works

Whenever we have a loco that just does not want to couple to a train, it's either a Kato or an Accumate coupler on the loco. Bonus points if it's a switcher.

No magnetic uncoupling for me, so no experience.

Hope this helps,
    Heiko

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the Kato to MTL coupling, absolutely no issue with the GS4, it will couple gently to anything mtl and is still stock Kato.
    The f3 on the other hand required some slight modification to couple at all to MTL.
    As it eventually will get MTs, I didnít feel the least bit bad about slightly modifying the coupler as described
    on this website.

https://teamtrackmodels.com/how-to-fix-kato-couplers/

It worked for me!
    I didnít try magnetic uncoupling as I didnít have an uncoupler at the time, nor did I have the trip pin in the F3 installed.
    SP & 53
    Daylight and Overnight