Thread: Way freights, manifest freights, transfers, turns and other kinds of trains

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Way freights, manifest freights, transfers, turns and other kinds of trains

Part of my project as I design the operation system for the San Luis and Rio Grande is that I want to get things more or less prototypical. In various reading, I'm coming across various "types" of trains, and could use some clarity
    not sure what they are called, the fast trains that run between major terminals such as what we see on the Virtual Railfan LaPlata cams (they are on the BNSF Transcon Line)
    I know what unit trains are -- full trains of a type thinks like coal, sand, grain, oil etc
    Way freight - Not sure on this one - Google defines it as a train that stops at way stations
    Peddler Freight - also not sure
    Manifest freight -- One site defined it as a train that has the manifest in the caboose??? my understanding was a train that had freight (Car Load or LCL) for different industries along a specific route
    Turn - train that goes to a designated point and comes back either picking up something at that point (like an interchange turn) or????
    Transfer - Moves freight between a couple of points within a specified division (Not sure)
    I could really use some help
    I have trains that make mine runs, taking empty cars to the mine, bringing back loads, I have trains that go pick up and drop off cars at interchanges, I have pass through trains. I have trains that make runs over various sections of the railroad dropping off and picking up along the way, and I really need to get names on them
    thanks
    TIM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to taholmes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,431 Times in 2,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taholmes View Post

Way freight - Not sure on this one - Google defines it as a train that stops at way stations
    Peddler Freight - also not sure
    Manifest freight -- One site defined it as a train that has the manifest in the caboose??? my understanding was a train that had freight (Car Load or LCL) for different industries along a specific route
    Turn - train that goes to a designated point and comes back either picking up something at that point (like an interchange turn) or????

I found this doing a little bit of searching:

http://www.smarttinc.com/modeling-tr...you-can-model/
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 490 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add to @Allen H.'s excellent link, AFAIK a turn is a local run that goes out and back the same day on a regular schedule, servicing customers along the way. Your mine run would probably be a turn - taking empties to the mines and bringing back loads to the yard.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A Turn can also be an out and back run on two different days.
    Some roads will give this train two different numbers for each direction.
    Each road will and can use different names for different types of trains as well.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way Freight/Peddler These are basically different terms for the same thing. It's a train that stops at industries or other side tracks to set out and pick up cars. On the Southern Ry. S-Line that I'm modeling in 1974 these were trains 60 and 61. No 60 would run from Morganton, NC to Spencer, NC Monday through Saturday. No 61 would go from Spencer to Morganton. These would meet somewhere along the way. Also called locals on some railroads.

Turn A train that leaves it's initial terminal, goes somewhere, and then returns with one crew making the round trip. Many times these were locals/way freights/peddlers, but not always. CSX runs turns between a quarry in Rockingham, NC and a material distribution facility in Wilmington, NC. These are dedicated to carrying gravel from the quarry to the distribution facility and are called "rock trains", but since one crew makes the round trip, they are also turns.

Transfer A train that moves cars from one yard to another nearby yard, often (but not always) on a different railroad. NS runs a transfer from their yard in Charlotte, NC, that moves over CSX to CSX's Pinoca yard, also in Charlotte. They move cars for CSX out and bring back cars from Pinoca that need to go to the NS. Distance is about 10 miles each way.

Manifest Freight Usually just a regular freight train, but sometimes a high priority train, with a mix of different types of cars not all headed for the same place.

Different railroads used different terms for these trains and the best way to learn the local lingo is to talk to people who know about the railroad in question.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

Thanks
    Thanked 4,121 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This thread is good info for a great many people looking to get into OP's . I would like to see it either made into a sticky or see a new thread dedicated to the explantion of these terms posted up as a sticky in the right area on the forum .
    Would knowledgeable members here be interested in doing that ?

Steve

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sounds like a good idea Steve!