Thread: Bachmann track and switched?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bachmann track and switched?

I am just getting started in N scale. I have quite a bit of Bachmann EZ track from sets I bought over the years. I need more track, and several switches. I have concerns about the functionality of Bachmann switches. Any suggestions???

Thanks
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One thing i can tell you , is the geometry of their switches , will give toy like spacing

Steve

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,161 Times in 3,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are willing to commit to a track plan and don't need the Bachmann sectional track to be removable or re-position-able, then you could probably use the curves and straights that you have, provided you are willing to do some soldering. You should plan on either adding feeder wires that you solder to the outsides of the rails and fish down through a hole you drill in the roadbed, or solder the rails together where they meet at a rail joiner. Maybe both! At any rate, this means becoming skilled with using some of the tools and methods you would use to lay other types of track, such as flex track, so it calls into question why you wouldn't just go with a good flex track instead.

One obvious answer is the sunk cost of you already owning a lot of track, so maybe it's worth your time to incorporate it. But if you have the option, you could attain greater reliability by going with Unitrack if you still prefer a sectional approach, or perhaps Peco code 55 if you want to try flex; Peco and Unitrack have the best operating turnouts, in my opinion. I say to use Peco's code 55 not only because it looks better with its shorter rail height but also because I found that its flex was a joy to work with, when I did my helix.

You might be able to mate up EZ-Track to Unitrack, if you discard each of their proprietary rail joiners and just use regular metal sleeve rail joiners at the joint. If this is so, then I'd say you ought to at least use Unitrack turnouts (the larger #6s are supposed to be better).

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have only had one experience with an EZ-Track switch and it was not a good one. After everything was glued down and scenery was down on a friends layout one of the pieces of rail came loose and fell off making the track unusable. We have glued it down twice now with super glue and it is holding now the second time but I have no confidence it is a permanent fix. I have never had that issue with an Atlas, Peco or Kato switch.
    Jim
    My build thread: Link

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo.0455 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend to stay away from B-Mann EZ track & their switches. Several years ago, as I ventured back into this hobby, I had a lot of B-Mann EZ track. I bought switches to make it a little more usable. I was advised not to, by members of this forum and others. But I did it anyway, because it was cheap. (You get what you pay for.)

After 2 years, the frustration caused by those switches have slowed me down in my forward progress. Dead in the water! I had a layout, actually 3 with B-Mann track & switches. All gone now. The switches I had, melted the bar/joint that powers the shift. And, I know that you don't hold that button for more than a second. Eventually, I destroyed my layout trying to R&R those damaged switches with new ones. In the end, I tore it all up. Problem solved.

My layout sits. I have bought all new Kato track & switches, now. But I have no inspiration to start a 4th time. It will come, slowly but surely. But for now, I'll just admire all the work that others do, here. And, I am always looking for new ideas & plans! While I'm not suggesting you run out and replace your B-Mann track with Kato, just be prepared for some disappointment further down the road.

Remember, this is just my $0.02 worth here. It's your RR, do it your way...
    N-joy!
    Tred - (USN-Ret.)
    Kansas City, KS
    (Sent using @ 1000Mbps)
    "No matter where you go, there you are!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bachmann n-scale EZ track is by far the worst n-scale track I've ever had the displeasure of using. I won't even use it as a test track.

KATO No.6 turnouts are very reliable, but Unitrack has its own set of peculiarities you have to accept to use it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kalnaren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That kind of tells me what I wanted to know. Incidentally, the B'mann switches ARE NOT CHEAP!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alv7722@msn.com View Post
    That kind of tells me what I wanted to know. Incidentally, the B'mann switches ARE NOT CHEAP!!
    Nope! They're engineered cheap and just don't last. But for quality, you're better off tossing in a few more dollars & get something that will last for quite a while.
    N-joy!
    Tred - (USN-Ret.)
    Kansas City, KS
    (Sent using @ 1000Mbps)
    "No matter where you go, there you are!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bachman switches cost more than my Kato switches!
    About $10.00 more each.