Thread: N Scale Architects Xcell Feed Build

Thanks
    Thanked 3,694 Times in 984 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default N Scale Architects Xcell Feed Build

As the title says, building the Xcell Feed kit from N Scale Architects. Definitely a build on the advanced side. A lot of little parts and looking at the diagrams it is a fairly intricate kit. My biggest challenge will be how to put lights into this thing. I usually have a good idea at the start, but the instructions are not filled with a lot of pictures so it is hard to see where they will go for now. Get the walls up and go from there.

About 8 pages of instruction - they look a little light on clear instructions, but make it up with architect quality drawings to work from. There are 6 sheets and resin kits for the silos. They have a guide for painting parts so spent the last couple of days separating parts and getting them primed and painted. Come to concluded that I really hate the smell of resin. Train rooms smells like a gas station from the sanding.

Two of the sheets are peel off. Given all of the different colors for items and wanting to spray them v. hand paint, I decided to put down a layer of blue painters tape on the back to give it some strength and keep the parts from separating from the peel off when I cut them. Actually got the idea from @Janbouli and his magnificent RSLaser Harris Door build. I have had issues with wood kits in the past with peel off sheets and plan to put this idea in the playbook.

Parts are separated, primed, painted and sealed with Dullcoat. Added the Dullcoat seal now in case I want to use oils at the end for weathering to seal the acrylics plus the steel pieces were pretty shinny even with the wood and wanted to knock down the shine.

More to come.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow looks very complicated can’t wait to see more progress.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck. Looks like a fun project.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is such a great kit , I have this ready to go on my layout and then finish it. This is the link to my website , couldn't find the link to the build thread here, it's been years ago.

http://janbouli.com/?p=xcel.html

As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks @Janbouli. Wow, your blog is awesome. I am thinking N Scale Architects needs to link your blog for a guide on how to build it. You do a great job of documentation.

Should have known you had built one too- if its hard, Jan has built it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave , the kit is not as hard to build as it looks like , just take your time . The only part I really had a hard time with are the frame around the silo's , they break easy and I was sure not careful enough with them, I still am at a loss how I will disguise it.

And thank you for the great compliment.

My Flickr Pages

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paint dry and jumped into putting windows into the distribution building.

A couple of tips....

1. Read the directions and read again. Pay close attention to the drawings.
    2. Patience and more patience. It is very tedious work.
    3. Test fit. Pieces are not marked very clear, but once you start to sort out where it goes, then it goes faster. However, one window frame looks like another but could fit another window.
    4. Layout your pieces first, then construct.

You absolutely have to have everything painted before starting. Don't get too quick on bracing the walls. The windows eat up a lot of room and actually do a good job of stiffening up the walls even without the bracing.

Ready to start on the next step.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off to a great start , and yes read the manual and look at the drawings constantly , the dimensions and what is in front of what are a bit confusing at some parts.

My Flickr Pages

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good. I bet that is going to be a lot of fun to put together.
    WAAAAGH!! Wait, wrong hobby. TRAAAAAAIIIINNN!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting the walls up on the Distribution building. As mentioned earlier, there isn't a lot of room for bracing so getting the first two walls up is a bit tricky, but gets better once you get the roof on to help square it up. Having some gel CA handy in addition to wood glue is recommended.

The upper story walls required some time and patience.

Test fit the roof pieces while the left side upper wall dries. Definitely helps to square it out. Once it squares up, the pieces fit almost perfectly.

Ended with this leaving the last room piece and final wall off until I sort out internal lighting.

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@dave68124 … Coming along nicely. Will look great when done.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the milling building done over the last couple of days. Goes together pretty well - a lot of wood glue and some CA to help out on the corners. Laid out the top view that comes with the kit to get a sense of how things will lay out. Directions aren't that great, but the drawings are excellent.

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once completing the milling building, you have to put together 4 roof vents. They go together nicely, but once again the directions lack clarity and diagrams aren't much help either. Test fit before gluing.

Weathered up the vents and the roof of the milling building. Painted it grimy black first and a slight tar line on the roof supports. Dry brush some light gray and used black to trace the roof planks as a tar line then a little bit of rust on the roof. For the vents I tried the sponge method, but that was a complete fail. Ended up using a combination of color washes. Weathering frustrates me as I don't have an eye for it. Either too much or not enough.

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 182 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave the weathering looks good to me. It will be a great looking building when its finished.

Robert

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rwslater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working on the loading area. A little more time consuming as the pieces are very thin and need to wait for glue to dry before on each wall before proceeding to the next. The laser board was a bit warped so that didn't help either. Still a very nice kit and pieces once you got them glued down into shape fit like a glove. Take your time and tet fit twice, glue once. Some pieces appear to fit then on close inspection they are slightly off and another piece fits perfectly.

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a lot done this week due to work travel - who knew you could freeze your butt off in Dallas. Finished up the loading area pre-weathering. Finickey parts and need to take your time. Good thing they give you an extra cross member - ask me how I know. Parts didn't seem to fit as nice and tight on this part, but still not too bad. I was dreading the hoppers, but found a method that worked like a charm and made them really easy.

Don't use the tape or rubber band method the directions suggest. Tape a square to your work surface. A little CA on one of the two pieces and glue them together. Once the CA takes hold and dries, then some wood glue on the inside. Repeat for the 4 halves. Once they are dry, then put the halves together the same way. They stayed square and really easy to put together. They need some clean up with some wood filler then sand and repaint.

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the initial frames together for the car loading buildings. Lot's of a CA required for that one. Parts fit nicely, but lots of corners and long walls to keep square so having some gel CA handy works like a charm.

Added another track for car storage and seeing how this is coming together on the layout now. Looks like I will still have plenty of room to run a road down the right hand side of the building. The real life building literally has about a half a side-walk and road running next to it. The siding track running into the building and car storage will be buried into the cork before it is done.

Time to slow down construction and get caught up on weathering some pieces and doing some clean up. Repaint a couple items I didn't care for the original color chose by the manufacturer.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The loading sheds come together nicely, but they had two tabs coming together with different colors and no trim pieces to cover it up. You can see it in an above photo. I love wood kits, but this is one aspect that drives me crazy if they don't give you trim pieces. I resorted to painting the tabs and sides. For the side, just a small piece of tape works great.

Some weathering on the truck loading areas. Looks much better than my last attempt. I recalled the golden rule of weathering - Less is more.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 830 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming along very nicely, Dave!
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some additional weathering of the car sheds. Once again, tried to keep it on the light side. General wash with a brown wash, then a pin washed the seams with a dark grey wash. Blended with a flat brushed dipped in thinner. Lastly a few spots with light rust and blended and thinned with a flat brush again to create a little discoloration but not hard rust. Hard to see in the picture, but the small outside shed has a red wood front. Washed it with several layers of desert dust to get some of the details to show through as well as lighten it up a bit. The roofs will need a custom tar paper job. Kit comes with a paper roof, but the overall quality of the kit deserves more than what was provided.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post: