Thread: Aroostook Northern - Back after 6 years

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aroostook Northern - Back after 6 years

Hello all,

I had started a small HCD layout based on the Carolina Central MRR layout years back. Here is the post on it: https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...one-in-code-55

Well, life happens and I had to turn my spare room into a bedroom and my layout went into storage. Well, storage was my crawlspace where cats and kids took their toll, until last year.

We moved into a new house with a nice spot for me to set up my layout again. So, out came the layout...it was a wreck! Almost all the track had been torn off and a few of my switches were torn apart. After a few frustrating attempts to piece things back together, I decided to tear up my roadbed and start over. I ended up broadening my mainline curves a bit (minimum radius is 13.5") and this is the result. After more than 6 years, I am running trains again!

This is the beginning of what I hope will be a long and rewarding journey as I learn the ins and outs of the hobby and I hope you'll come with.

Here are the pics of my first successful run on the reinvented Aroostook Northern Railroad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (139.1 KB, 156 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (137.5 KB, 190 views)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,676 Times in 3,778 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see you're back up and running! Good call on taking advantage of the opportunity to broaden the curves, every little bit will help.

But,
    Do we need to alert Child Protective Services?
    You kept your kids in the crawlspace?
    ;-)

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,836 Times in 1,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Doesn't everyone? I bet you spoiled yours by giving them their own rooms.....
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,760 Times in 732 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool! And don't worry about the beat-up foam. That's just a little pre-weathering.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,291 Times in 773 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you're back! Should be an interesting build to watch - post lots of pics or Moose will complain.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nskale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Cool! And don't worry about the beat-up foam. That's just a little pre-weathering.
    Yeah, the foam will all be covered eventually, so it's a non issue.

To give you some perspective on the direction I am heading, if you reference the overall pic I posted I will have a town in the foreground curve (planning to use Woodland Scenic's town set), a couple of industries on the two spurs already corked and a papermill on the back side of the layout (something akin to THIS). The far side curve will be a forested river scene. All of my track is Atlas C55 with #5 turnouts.

I have a pretty decent collection of rolling stock from my previous attempt, so I should be in good shape on that account.

So, what do you think?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vtrailroadguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,295 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kids in the crawlspace is a necessity! Send them in and they may come out, for food!

Lots of pics as you go, please???
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 454 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aroostook you say....

paint it white, cut the first floor off all the houses.
    declare you are modeling caribou this winter...
    it'll look perfect!

victor

12. The Following User Says Thank You to victor miranda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by victor miranda View Post
    Aroostook you say....

paint it white, cut the first floor off all the houses.
    declare you are modeling caribou this winter...
    it'll look perfect!

victor

Haha, true dat!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a lot to report, just running some trains with my girl and laying out a siding. The BL-2 and Geep have been in their boxes since the layout went into storage so they were running rough at the start, but smoothed out after 15 minutes or so. Steady as she goes.
    Last edited by vtrailroadguy; 6th Mar 2019 at 07:08 AM.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vtrailroadguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I mocked up the buildings from Woodland Scenics Town and Factory Building Set to start figuring out my town. The cork running between downtown will be moved. I'm going to have a scenic divider that will curve back behind the town with a papermill on the back side. I also broke out my GP 38's for a few circuits

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to vtrailroadguy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,676 Times in 3,778 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a great idea to use paper masses to pre-visualize the town layout.

The density feels a little bit off to me, and that might be because it feels like everything is crammed into the space within the track loop. I would suggest that some of the buildings could come to the foreground in that corner, and arrange them along a larger street that runs in from the corner. That main street will serve as a compositional leading line, drawing your eye into the scene. The way you have it now, it seems as though the street has its back turned towards us and doesn't invite us in to the scene.

Maybe the rear-most gang of buildings could stay dense as you have it, but then turn the front ranks of buildings to front along the main street that comes in from the corner. That way main street can be nice and broad, and by running off the edge of the layout it will suggest its own continuation into what we assume to be a larger downtown area. Maybe the track is running parallel to a street, and you don't even have two lines of buildings along that intersecting street; it could be the rear gang of buildings on the far side of that street, then the street proper, a bit of urban tree/landscape buffer, then the rails, and then the dense urban fabric begins again in the foreground.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pardon my poor artwork, but I think this will at least illustrate what my plan is. I will have a scenic divider (green) that will curve away from the town with the representation of a hill running the length of it. "Main street" (black) will run at an angle up the side of the hill, over the track and off the layout. I will have a papermill taking up the entire back side of the layout, so I am thinking this will create an effective divider between the town and mill area. The proposed building sites are in red, though I still have a lot of moving around to find proper locations for them all. I have that switch in the foreground, so that kind of limits where I can cross that street over. From a railfan's perspective, the backs of the buildings are what would be seen in a photo, so I want to emphasize the less elegant side of the town, but as WP&P has pointed out, the town needs to also draw the viewers eye into the complete scene.

Untitled.jpg

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vtrailroadguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a lot to report, but I did buy an inexpensive led shop light, mocked up the superior paper buildings and am playing around with a temporary scenic divider.

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to vtrailroadguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pressed for time when I posted yesterday, so I wanted to elaborate a bit on how I see this developing.

In the first picture, my town will be built around the curve with my divider curving away behind it and turning into a hill with the tracks passing under a bridge carrying the towns main street off into the rest of the world. The entire backdrop will be forested hills along this side of my layout, some modeled and some represented in pictures. I think I am going to get rid of the short spur leading into the town and just stick with a medium sized industry backed up against the river on the far spur. The far curve around the river will be a representation of the Maine woods.

In the second picture is the side of the layout where the papermill will be located. I believe with careful placement and background buildings, I can reasonably represent the major industry in the available space. I suppose we shall see. The backdrop will curve in on both ends creating a shadow box type feel to the scene, which I feel is important if I am to pull off the illusion that the papermill is miles away from the other side of the layout. The curving backdrop along the river side will follow the river and turn into a rock cut just before the deck bridge.

I think using the backdrop will create multiple viewing locations that all appear unique and sperate from each other. I am a train dispatcher by profession, so I'm not really looking to "operate" the railroad so much as just play around and watch trains. I get my operations fix every day in the office

So, I very much welcome everyone's suggestions as to what might work or what I need to rethink.

Thanks for looking!

JDB

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vtrailroadguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I was wrestling with fitting what I wanted onto a hollow core door and I just wasn't satisfied with the results. That said, I originally built the layout on a door due to space constraints in our old house. I no longer have those same limitations, so I went ahead and expanded my layout to 4x8. Minimum main track radius of 18.75", #10 turnouts and connections set for future expansion. I'll start laying track as soon as it arrives along with my cork.

Presenting the Aroostook Northern 2.0.

20191130_155504.jpg

27. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to vtrailroadguy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,810 Times in 2,786 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back again

fellow Vermonter? Or VT just part of the railroad name?
    ~ Charles

:shay:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Northwestern VT

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,810 Times in 2,786 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vtrailroadguy View Post
    Northwestern VT
    ah, opposite corner used to live up near Burlington for about a decade though.
    ~ Charles

:shay:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,836 Times in 1,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    ah, opposite corner used to live up near Burlington for about a decade though.
    By Colorado standards you two are practically next door neighbors.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

32. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post: