Thread: How to add sound to Intermountain SD40-2 that already has ESU DCC

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to add sound to Intermountain SD40-2 that already has ESU DCC

Happy Friday, all.

I'm considering adding sound to a couple locos that already have ESU DCC. Has anyone tried this? What all is needed? Are there instructions anywhere for this? I googled, but no luck. Thank you!

JAY

Thanks
    Thanked 3,333 Times in 809 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen one of the non-sound DCC SD40-2's. Do you know if it comes with a speaker? If it does, all you'd need to do is swap decoders.

-Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to check that. The fuel tank has holes for the sound already, that much I know.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,333 Times in 809 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlas's recently redesigned-for-sound locos have speakers in the non-sound versions, and IMRC does tend to copy Atlas to a large degree. So, it wouldn't surprise me.

-Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's great to know! I will check on this and report.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,589 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Im pretty sure the non sound locos come with the speaker , so a decoder swap would be needed

Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 3,589 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would be interested in where one can get the sound decoders and price ect

Steve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2x Intermountain SD40-2's, one DCC with sound, and the other DCC only (no sound).

I'm planning on doing the same thing with my non-sound DCC SD40-2W. I'm also hoping to squeeze out better sound performance out of my sound-equipped DCC SD40-2 with a speaker swap, as I'm actually somewhat underwhelmed with the sound quality compared to what I've gotten out of ESU Loksounds with custom speaker enclosures for my ES44... Here's what I've figured out

Speaker -- There is a hole in the chassis for the speaker, in the fuel-tank area. My model did NOT come with a speaker, so it's likely yours will be the same and you'll need to find a speaker and enclosure there. The motor itself seems to be standard between the sound and non-sound models and has a second set of contacts on it which pass the speaker signal from the decoder board to the speaker in the fuel-tank.

I've designed a 3D printed enclosure for 11x15 mm speakers (one version each for both 2.5mm and 3mm thick), but haven't had a chance to print and try them out yet. This is what it looks like:

speaker.jpg

There's quite a selection for 11x15mm speakers, however, a couple that I'm planning on trying out are:
    CMS-151125-078S (2.5mm thick, non-wired)
    CMS-15113-078S (3mm thick non-wired)

I've actually got one of each speaker already, I just need to get around to ordering the enclosures. If you're patient enough to wait a month or more, I'll get some printed and try them out to see which speaker performs better and report back, otherwise if you want I can make them available on Shapeways un-tested if you'd like to try them out yourself.

Decoder -- You can either swap out a regular LokSound micro decoder (and hard-wire it), or you can get one of the "LokSound Select Direct Micro OEM" decoders which will slot right in without extra soldering, except maybe lights if you want to get more creative with them.

SBS4DCC did a good write-up about the select direct micro decoders and has the part numbers you can search to see where you can get the best price on them:
    http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstips...tionnotes.html

In a nutshell, the ESU 73199 part (OEM drop in) is what I believe you'll be after for the Intermountain locos, as it will have the 4 pads on the bottom which will interface with the 4 terminals on the motor (2x for motor, 2x which pass through to the bottom for the speaker).

Unfortunately, my budget isn't allowing me to purchase the decoder yet, so I haven't tried it myself... Just another thing on my model railroad to-do list.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great info! I did check last night and you're right...no speaker either. I'll wait to hear more on how this works for you. I'm not in a huge rush. Thanks for posting for all of us!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I contacted Intermountian with this question.

They will sell you just the speaker if you source your own decoder, or they will sell you the decoder and the speaker for a reasonable price.

The speaker literally just clips in, no soldering.

Just for the record, I did this with my DC only SD40-2, but it is the exact same process for the DCC one.

Clip the speaker in, slip in the decoder, and have fun

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DasBok For This Useful Post: