Thread: Rivarossi 2-8-8-0 With Faulhaber 1516R Motor and 3.44:1 Reduction Gear Head

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rivarossi 2-8-8-0 With Faulhaber 1516R Motor and 3.44:1 Reduction Gear Head

This is with DC, it would probably creep even slower with DCC.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I Remember Steam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it looks like a good slow speed.

how does it look with the shell on it?

victor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 709 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool...

Correct me if I am wrong but in addition to reducing speed that should increase torque as well (which would mean, correct me if I am wrong again, that you could weight your loco even more and get stronger pulling power -- not sure there is much room in these for more weight so just wondering...?)

I guess one negative is that your top speed (for Loco) may be reduced too much -- what is the top scale speed after the modification? If the motor can take higher voltages and you have a power supply that can put out a bit more volts than most N-scale locos need you could get around this I suppose...

Any other potential negatives? (I am guessing Victor might be worried the motor might stick out the back of the cab or require modifications to cab).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice modification! I am considering using a reduction gear head for my rotary snow plow. I went to the Faulhaber website and it looks like they have multiple options. It was hard for me to decipher all the specs.

How did you choose the specific motor and gearhead you used? Any advice on one that wouldn’t need to power a set of drivers, but just slowly spin a plow blade?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is one to look at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-12V-7...DIY-Robot-Car/
    may be what you need.
    Doug

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SluderD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Cool...

Correct me if I am wrong but in addition to reducing speed that should increase torque as well (which would mean, correct me if I am wrong again, that you could weight your loco even more and get stronger pulling power -- not sure there is much room in these for more weight so just wondering...?)

I guess one negative is that your top speed (for Loco) may be reduced too much -- what is the top scale speed after the modification? If the motor can take higher voltages and you have a power supply that can put out a bit more volts than most N-scale locos need you could get around this I suppose...

Any other potential negatives? (I am guessing Victor might be worried the motor might stick out the back of the cab or require modifications to cab).
    Top N scale speed is 45 MPH just about right for the 2-8-8-0. Yes the TQ is multiplied by the gear head. If I am reading the motor specs correctly, the Faulhaber 1516R (rare earth magnets) develops 1.53 oz in of stall TQ at the motor shaft. (the regular version of the FH1516 has .77 oz in TQ) Not accounting for frictional and/or other mechanical loss, 1.53 X 3.44 = 5.26 oz in stall TQ at the pinion.

Given the fact that the original Rivarossi electrical pick up was left rail at the drivers and right rail at the tender, I employed a Bachmann Tender for both rail electrical pick up. Since the drivers were no longer used for current pick up, I applied Bullfrog Snot to all 8 drive wheels on that side. Because there are already 4 traction tires on the opposite side drivers, there are now a total of 12 drive wheels with traction enhancement.

My current test loop will only accommodate about 54 cars. This locomotive will easily pull that many and I would not be surprised it it would accomodare twice that many possibly more if the couplers will hold. I have done tests with the regular non rare earth magnet version of the FH 1516 and it pulls 50+ cars with ease. This version has 2 x the stall TQ.

The motor does require some modification to the cab area but still allows the back of the cab to remain.

I'm sure Victor will have something negative to say but when doesn't he?

I will try to get up to the train room and pop the boiler and tender shells on for some pictures.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to I Remember Steam For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dear moderators,

is that bear baiting?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I Remember Steam View Post

The motor does require some modification to the cab area but still allows the back of the cab to remain.
    I'm sure Victor will have something negative to say but when doesn't he?
    here let me fix that.
    what you meant to say: "I'm sure Victor will have something to say"

I have a friend who is truly in love with the RR 2-8-8-0 and 2-8-8-2 engines.
    and I have done a lot of work on them as a result.

one of the more interesting aspects of such a project is how to solve the drawbar problems
    if you want power from the tender and where the wires get routed.
    that leads to the cab being left removable and the boiler backhead being cut or not.
    as slow as it ran, I was pretty sure the pick-ups were modified also.
    I can't see the answers in your vid.

One of the more ..errm.. curious RR 2-8-8-2 I re-worked arrived as a motor in the tender and
    a drive shaft into the engine side. the electrical pick-ups were un-modified.
    long unsupported driveshafts can be tricky to get right and it did straight ok. curves not so much.

Usually, in the re-work was a replacement arm or a reworked/rebuilt motor as the choice.
    we could not sort out adding an effective flywheel to your configuration.
    my friend feels that a flywheel at the back of the cab is great.

oddly enough, he and I have had a few discussions about the meaning of 'fits in.'
    along with discussions about torque and gearbox configuration and bearing qualities.

That type of loco has a lot to sort out to get them to run slowly.
    You didn't start this thread to get my approval.
    and you get it anyway.

here. gimmie a few minutes and I'll take a vid of my own personal example.

victor
    Last edited by victor miranda; 19th Mar 2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: who not why

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to victor miranda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok my remotor project 2-8-8-0,
    I am posting this to show what is normal for these in my experience.
    One must do more than just add a new motor... well add a good motor and then...

https://youtu.be/lNLz4BpXAl8

this vid is about as slow as it will go _reliably_ around my loop.
    the stalls from running slower are from the need to upgrade pick-ups.
    it still slows a bit in curves and I have not tried to tune the worm to worm-wheel fit.

this loco was built to prove the little motor can pull 50 cars
    ... I have no doubt it will when I also find new traction tires...
    one of many future projects.
    it is also an example of how hard my buddy works to ignore plain facts standing in front of him.
    why am I laughing?

here are a few photos of how it is constructed

how I made and installed rear motor mount
    2880-motor-flywhl.jpg
    the friend discussed earlier shoved the flywheel on there.
    it is a disk. hole in center was drilled and the outside was diamond filed
    on a motor tool arbor. the soldered tabs hold it to motor.
    front mount is a ring of brass... I guess I turned it on the lathe.

over all driveshaft build
    2880-ovrall-drvshft.jpg

below is what I hope you can see of the joint from motor to driveshaft.
    the brass block holds one of the two the ball-bearing races that carry the driveshaft.

2880-drv-shft-dtl.jpg

my original plan was to add a flywheel to the driveshaft between the two bearing blocks.
    some milling may be required for that.

victor
    Last edited by victor miranda; 17th Mar 2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fergot link to vid

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to victor miranda For This Useful Post: