Thread: Replacing 32ohm spkr on MRC sound decoder with SBS4DCC sugar cube on Kato SD40-2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 278 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replacing 32ohm spkr on MRC sound decoder with SBS4DCC sugar cube on Kato SD40-2

Last two KATO locomotives, a SD40-2 and a SD45 locomotives, has gone on surgery for replacing the 10mm,32ohm speaker with a sugar cube 8x12mm, 8ohm, from SBS4DCC. I just cut the frame, in the fuel tank with a jewelry hacksaw, file the edges, solder the longer wires to spkr. I pass them between the two half frames to the decoder and solder on position after i adjusted the length. Locomotive sound great, more bass and more deep sound. Pictures here, i will try to upload also a movie on YouTube later.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gamitzu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice job! I did this with my GP15-1, but ultimately decided to go another route by replacing the MRC with an ESU LokSound Select Direct Micro DCC sound decoder.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gatrhumpy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For 69$ one decoder and 8$---10$ a sugar cube speaker work perfect. Not perfect if compared with Zimo or Loksound, but still make me happy. I have more than 50 on my diesels, and if i want to replace all with another better one, will be plus 100$ per locomotive,. Maybe in time, on by one, who know

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamitzu View Post
    For 69$ one decoder and 8$---10$ a sugar cube speaker work perfect. Not perfect if compared with Zimo or Loksound, but still make me happy. I have more than 50 on my diesels, and if i want to replace all with another better one, will be plus 100$ per locomotive,. Maybe in time, on by one, who know
    I see the craze for the sugar cube speakers. I just came across some 10mm round 1w 8ohm 3.5mm thick speakers. Has anyone tried these? In comparison to the sugar cube option? I am assuming the sound "should" be the same. but its a lot smaller than the sugar cube.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this spkr came without sound chamber, do not waste your time, will sound like crap. I have tried already a 10mm round spkr, 8 ohm, i do not know the maker. Now is somewhere in the scrap. Bigger the sound chamber, better the sound. N scale it's sensitive to space and quality of speakers.
    I LIKE TO WORK WITH BIG SHIP ENGINES BUT I SPEND MY FREE TIME AROUND N SCALE TRAIN MODELS.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this spkr came without sound chamber, do not waste your time, will sound like crap. I have tried already a 10mm round spkr, 8 ohm, i do not know the maker. Now is somewhere in the scrap. Bigger the sound chamber, better the sound. N scale it's sensitive to space and quality of speakers.
    Ok thanks, so that the trick the sound chamber.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What size is the maximum dimensions without milling/grinding the frame? I came across some that are 12mm x 8mm x 6mm 8 ohm is this good size or should I search for something smaller?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian from SBS4DCC have a lot of them, bigger or smaller. If is not in your range, or is too far, you can built them by forex, plastic card or printed if any friend available. In the past i use to file the bottom of Zimo sugar cube sound chamber and to ad another piece of plastic on bottom. Just for the worst case, where i can not fit a normal one. This will decrease the sound. Remember, bigger the volume of box, better sound. But in N scale, the sound it's what is it. On smaller locomotives you can not find space to mount whats is needed.
    https://store.sbs4dcc.com/streamline...pservices.aspx
    I LIKE TO WORK WITH BIG SHIP ENGINES BUT I SPEND MY FREE TIME AROUND N SCALE TRAIN MODELS.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian from SBS4DCC have a lot of them, bigger or smaller. If is not in your range, or is too far, you can built them by forex, plastic card or printed if any friend available. In the past i use to file the bottom of Zimo sugar cube sound chamber and to ad another piece of plastic on bottom. Just for the worst case, where i can not fit a normal one. This will decrease the sound. Remember, bigger the volume of box, better sound. But in N scale, the sound it's what is it. On smaller locomotives you can not find space to mount whats is needed.
    https://store.sbs4dcc.com/streamline...pservices.aspx
    Thanks again I will keep this in mind.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Corsican train For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corsican train View Post
    What size is the maximum dimensions without milling/grinding the frame? I came across some that are 12mm x 8mm x 6mm 8 ohm is this good size or should I search for something smaller?
    Yes, that is correct. I do not like the idea of milling machine, i try in the past on a industrial one and i finished with a bent half chassis, due to clamping device on the fine details and soft material of the frame. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, RELATED TO MY CASE. If you have a better machine for this job, great. All my 70+ diesel locomotive have the surgery done with help of this tools.
    https://www.micromark.com/Jewelers-Saw

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gamitzu For This Useful Post: