Thread: Soo Line Cardigan Jct- New Brighton FreemoN continuation??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Soo Line Cardigan Jct- New Brighton FreemoN continuation??

Howdy to all.

It has been awhile for any work on the layout,, I have been dabbling with ESU lok sound and my Proto Throttle,, which is too cool!! But I digress.

I am wanting to add more switching to my layout,, put stay prototypical at the same time. The industries would be prototypical for the late 70's thru early 80's. I am wanting to have a continuous running also. At home the layout would not be put together in a prototype fashion,, but at shows prototype fidelity would be a priority.

Here is the space I have available in my garage for layout set up.

You can see that I am trying to bend the yard around that pain in rear offset. The yard on the other end will be no problem.

So here on the options as I see it,,

1. and 2. We have cardigan north and south. North a big bunch of nothing,, just track going to duluth/superior. South we have more possibilities. Various industries,, plus the R.I. at Inver grove.
    3. and 4. You have the Minnesota Transfer south and north of New Brighton,, I google earthed the area,,looks like the MT had work to do in Fridley Mn on the north and industries southward to include just south of New Brighton.
    5. There is the Soo westbound,, to include Shoreham and Humbolt yards. And I am sure there were industries somewhere.

After rereading this,, it would seem that New Brighton northward would be the thing to do. Thoughts?

I would like to find homes for my freight car fleet,,,, Covered hoppers ( to include, grain, plastics,cement, flour), gons, tank cars,, coil cars. I think I have the box cars covered with the Arden Hills area. With Bell Pole in New Brighton I have a home for flats, centerbeams and bulkhead cars.

In the original thread the idea was thrown out of the elevator district of Hiawatha Ave in South Minneapolis. That is an idea that I am toying with. Grain, flour and a scrap dealer. I googled earthed the area, looks pretty cool. In the prototype world it does not "work". But hey,,more switching is a great thing. With the gazillion covered hoppers that I have,, it would give them a home. While looking at google earth, there is yard for the cars to be switched in the right order for the industries. Looks like present day,, the train travels southbound then the power cuts off, running around the train to sort the cars. Working the industries, then gathering the return train then traveling back north.

Any ideas would be welcome. As from before,, I can build anything,, just need a plan.
    So plan away, thank you in advance for the help.
    Laters, Wyatt

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought, "Two yards in this space?" but then looked at the Google Maps page for this part of Minneapolis, and there's two yards!

Just guessing, but is that jog where the entrance to the room is? I think having a yard across a door is more problematic than have a jog in the yard. Is Cardigan Jct. the wye that now has a substation in the middle of (where is used to be)? That leads off to the Metro line?

I'm fond of wyes that work (I'll have at least 3 on my layout) and I'd be tempted to move the wye and yard a bit to the right (and twist the wye) so I could model some more industries along that third leg along the wall. Was this line double track when the SOO was running it?

Thanks for sharing this and I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim R For This Useful Post:

SOO

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay with Hiawatha. You have the space to model it without compression.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon612 For This Useful Post:

SOO

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim, I guess there is prior reading you need.
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...reeMoN-modules

The track lines in bold are already laid. This thread that I posted today is about additional sections for more operational. I apologize for the confusion.

The layout currently resisdes in the garage. So where the jogged yard is the door from house. The layout is currently up on two walls of the garage. So,,,the drawings with light lines are ideas that I had.

I can build anything,,,just need plans.

Jon,,I am thinking about that. I could use multiple different sizes or pvc piping for the elevators.

whos knows...thanx for the input guys.

laters, wyatt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdy all,

After thinking about it and taking some more measurements, I decided to just build a section to fit the space and not use a plain rectangle. After drawing that, and drawing track center lines,, it worked out nice. The radius on the curves in the yard will be about 22" on the south end ( which is the top in the drawing) and about 36" on the north end ( bottom of the section)

There are 5 tracks at Cardigan. But just 3 true yard tracks. Right to left: 1.Main track 1 2. Main track 2 3. 94 1/2" 4. 74" 5. 63 1/2". Those are in the clear measurements without fouling the other tracks.

Over at New Brighton there are 5 tracks as well. From right to left: 1. Is the Bell Pole industry track 2. Main 3. 94" 4. 74" 5. 63 1/2". Once again those are in the clear measurements.

Radius of the corner sections are 22" per FreemoN standards.

The space from corner to corner is 13' 1 3/4". That is the room that I have avaible for the new industrial area, either Hiawatha Ave or something else.

To be clear the tracks in bold lines are set in stone, those are the existing sections.

Thoughts, Ideas?

Laters,
    Wyatt

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,044 Times in 2,338 Posts
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like the idea of adding the industrial sections to the layout, even if they are not PROTO. It'll give you something to do in the ways of Ops.
    If you take them to the show, there is no reason why you couldn't add them.
    Most folks won't know if they are proto or not.
    The purists will but the general audience won't. I'd say go for it.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

SOO

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,962 Times in 669 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like that you can run a continuous train on this version. Sometimes a guy just likes watching trains go around in a circle. I know I do!

Cardigan Jct... hmmm.... you might need some Dolly Sisters when James comes through with the RS-27 shells!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,923 Times in 3,529 Posts
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One suggestion I have would be to model a big Mississippi River bridge on one of those long modules. Just pure scenery, an impressive bridge model over an almost scale size river.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

SOO

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WPP, I thought about something along those lines, just do not have the desire in me to mess with a big bridge project. In the future...most definitely. Just not right now.
    When you posted,,my mind flashed to Daryl Kruse and his Mississippi River scene..pretty impressive.
    Thanks again,
    Wyatt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well today I started on the new sections for layout.
    Ripped all the plywood down for the sections, to include the top, frame, legs,and the end plates. I need one more sheet of 1/2" Birch so I can rip the rest of the frame pieces. I am going to stick with 2" pink foam. Never know when plans might change.

Went through all of the supplies,,I am short on fender washers and wingnuts..jeez

I am trying get work done,,because I don't know what my out of town work schedule is going to be in the near future.

Speaking of plans....I am steering in the direction of the Hiawatha Ave elevators. I just want more switching,,I will build empty fillers for the shows. ( if I ever get that far).
    Hiawatha makes sense because.....I need a home for my gabillion covered hoppers..lol

Sitting down and thinking,,how in the$!#=%;;&& am I going to haul all of these???!??. Looking into a 14' cargo trailer,,, anywhere from 3500$ to 5000$. Probably just a pipe dream,,,but ya never know

On another forum,,someone posted diagrams of the car spots and directions how to switch and what goes where. The roadblock for me now is trying to figure out how all the track connects between the 3 elevators.

So that be it, I might work on it tommorow...who knows.
    Laters,
    Wyatt

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we last saw our hero he was fitting a gallant battle with the evil and treacherous plywood, But our hero succeeded in ripping the plywood with the help of his faithful companions Hitachi and Milwaukee. Together they quickly dispatched the evilness.

We now find out hero in the month of April, of the year 2019, in the city of Troy,,,

The work continues, Seeing that I need two corner sections for the current layout expansion, I used 3rd Plan-it to draw the sections in question. Using the drawing as a reference, I then proceeded to draw a 1:1 version on the floor to verify that everything would work. The corners are basically 3' squares with the ends at 45 degrees and the mating face is 18" to match the existing sections.

Here we have a completed section minus the foam. The 3/4" Birch is not attached yet.. it is there for mock up purposes.

Here are how the legs will be attached. The plywood you see is the top gusset of the leg assembly, just being used for mock up. I decided to keep all the legs the same so there will not be a confusion as to what legs go with what sections,, any legs will work with any section.

Here is a picture of a completed leg assembly.

An under side view of the sections so you can see the construction methods used.

And now the mock up of how they fit together. These are stand alone corners for the home layout,, but at shows they can be arranged any way. I only have one side of the mating faces on, still need 45 the other two.

I did also build a regular 6' section also. So being three total built,, 4 to go. I need to add the 2" foam to these sections also. I have 2 1/2 sheets of the material,, maybe this coming saturday might be good.

That is all, Laters,
    Wyatt

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post: