Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Shelf Ops Layout for Operations

Thanks
    Thanked 4,627 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some additional pics. Street needs a little more weathering, light poles, etc., but got out the vehicles and cars to see how it was all coming together. One more structure to build, feedlot for the back corner, and finish off details of the other non-WS buildings.

DQ with picnic tables. Need to drop in more people.

Team Track and LPG - black push pin is to keep cars from plunging off into oblivion. Painted some push pins flat black and they seem to blend in pretty well.

Again, looking for open viewing spaces. Mr. Jerry Reed came to visit.

Main street - added some pot holes, etc to the street.

Bud Truck in front of the Bar...probably should have pulled out the Coor's truck to go along with the Snowman. However, I am looking for space between the buildings and view into the distance again.

Grain elevator and looking at the space.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 730 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's looking really sharp! Good idea to paint the pushpins on your LPG dealer tracks, I keep having green objects pop out in my pictures (though I'm just starting on scenery, so it's not half bad).

Fun fact about road markings: Before 1971, the center line(s) used to be white in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_s...#United_States - a German modeling friend did that on his steam era modules at first. Until everyone had asked him "why aren't the lines yellow?" and he got tired of explaining, so he painted them over in yellow

edit: Oh, and can you imagine anyone walking out on the highway with a bucket of paint to draw centerlines? According to Wikipedia, that's just what happened in California in 1917... Different times, I suppose...

Heiko

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow it really came to life it all looks great to me. The details in the road really set it off. Great work as usual.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S ARR T 8 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I especially like the pink snow....

Seriously, the cut-banks on the creek look very good. I am wondering whether you are going to slope the surrounding landscape down to the riverbank? Not eliminating the cut-banks, just sloping some drainage. A palm (quarter-sheet) sander with 60 grit and simultaneously using a ShopVac would do the job in a hurry, and would relieve the flatness of the foam.

I'm liking your town and the building details and weathering! It could be anywhere on the Colorado or Kansas prairie.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    Yes, I especially like the pink snow....

Seriously, the cut-banks on the creek look very good. I am wondering whether you are going to slope the surrounding landscape down to the riverbank? Not eliminating the cut-banks, just sloping some drainage. A palm (quarter-sheet) sander with 60 grit and simultaneously using a ShopVac would do the job in a hurry, and would relieve the flatness of the foam.

I'm liking your town and the building details and weathering! It could be anywhere on the Colorado or Kansas prairie.
    Thanks Gordon. That's the game plan - to provide some more ground texture and vertical change - however, I have one more structure to complete so I get its footprint factored into the terrain. Once I get that done, then I can focus on the river and terrain. Based on my work schedule for the next 3 months, it might be summer before I lay my first blade of grass or plant a tree.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's that four letter word again: "work!"
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Project for the day...add painted on sign to the abandoned elevator.

Used the Brother Scan and cut to create a template. Initially tried to use a piece of styrene with painter's tape on it to create the template out of the tape, but cut is too hard and tape too thin. Second attempt was a piece of .0015 styrene. Taped the template to the side and used the airbrush at low psi to paint it on. Filled the O's and 0's in with some liquid mask - worked perfectly. A little roughing up with metal bristle brush did the trick to fade it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have a beautiful show of craftsmanship here in your layout. You get 4 thumbs up from me. If I may as what did you make the concrete out of for your lpg gas platform?
    Life is Fragile. Live Everyday as if YOU Know Its Your Last.

You Only Live Once But If You Live It Right Once Is Enough.

20’x20’ Reggieville around the wall with peninsulas

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allmodernkatogottohaveit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by allmodernkatogottohaveit View Post
    You have a beautiful show of craftsmanship here in your layout. You get 4 thumbs up from me. If I may as what did you make the concrete out of for your lpg gas platform?
    Thank you. Concrete for the LPG is styrene base. Primed with light gray rustoleum rattle can spray. Light aircraft gray on top of that. Picked 4 or 5 different colors (white-gray, tan, grey, rust) and applied lightly with a sponge. Light gray wash over that then a very light fog of black wash. Weathered with powders and sealed with dull coat.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,296 Times in 2,997 Posts
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dave,
    Excellent job all the way around!
    Looks like the Bandit is late with the delivery of the 400 cases of Coors, now he's gonna have to bootleg it back to Texarkana.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a start on the feedlot. A fussy little kit - parts are pretty brittle - and enjoy breaking. A little more work to do on it. Not sure if I am going to keep it or I have a meat packing plant in the closet I may build out and see if I like it better there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much to look at other than some unoriginal Woodland Scenic buildings, but got the street lights planted temporarily and holes drilled for the lighting plugs. The lighting plugs for the WS plug n play system need about a 1/2" hole to fit through unless you feel like clipping wires and soldering back together again. I dropped in 1/2" styrene tubing to prevent them from catching on the wood and foam base. Probably over-kill, but trying to plan ahead as I won't permanently fix them to the layout and needed an easy way to unplug them. Smaller holes drilled for the lights with plastic coffee stir straws inserted. They are a real pain to feed even with the coffee stir straws in place. Found the best way to take the smallest aircraft drill bit (really long bits), wrap the wire tightly around and feed it through the small holes. A weekend worth of work - need to order a couple more pieces before I can fire them up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good! Your layout is really coming along.

Just a minor suggestion, but downtown areas usually have most of the buildings pressed right up against each other, side wall to side wall instead of having gaps/alleys between each one. Plus it'd give you a chance to relocate some of the detail parts WS puts on the side walls to more visible spots on your layout.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urbanex12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input. Don't disagree, but there is an element of visual to the back area of the layout that I was trying to achieve with the distance between the building so the downtown area didn't become just a visual block to the back area. A balance of width and depth- one of the reasons I put the parking lot in and empty lot. Eventually I will dig out the empty lot to model a building torn down and getting dug out to the basement for a new build. Once I get the rest of the parts for the lights, I will drop some pics and see what you think.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After playing around with the stock yard only, I decided to build out the meat packing plant as well. Not a lot of modeling time lately with travel, but got started and found that they didn't cut the roof sections correctly. Thus, a little math, .020 styrene and glue I made my own. Whole morning shot fixing what should have been right in the first place, but oh well, after gripping about it I would be in the same place. Hats that didn't fit the buildings.

This is the guy I am building - from N Scale Architect

Found the easiest way to build those roof sections is tape a couple of my right angles down and use them as guides.

My scratch built roof v. supplied roof.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave68124 View Post
    Some additional pics. Street needs a little more weathering, light poles, etc., but got out the vehicles and cars to see how it was all coming together. One more structure to build, feedlot for the back corner, and finish off details of the other non-WS buildings.

DQ with picnic tables. Need to drop in more people.

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...pstadubfyp.jpg

Team Track and LPG - black push pin is to keep cars from plunging off into oblivion. Painted some push pins flat black and they seem to blend in pretty well.

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...psiizlnopj.jpg

Again, looking for open viewing spaces. Mr. Jerry Reed came to visit.

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...pscpygqigp.jpg

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...psbnrpuh1p.jpg

Main street - added some pot holes, etc to the street.

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...ps1saxc5ou.jpg

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...psheqycbij.jpg

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...ps9tw2p38z.jpg

Bud Truck in front of the Bar...probably should have pulled out the Coor's truck to go along with the Snowman. However, I am looking for space between the buildings and view into the distance again.

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...pscc7vqxhv.jpg

Grain elevator and looking at the space.

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...pszxzo7n8b.jpg

https://i1289.photobucket.com/albums...psu6nenrji.jpg
    I really like how your layout has come out. Your town section on the edge of your layout is what I would like to do for mine. Because my two bottom curves are in a similar design as yours. Do you have any advice on street and building placement? My current design is also listed in the Layouts, design, and planning.
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...mix-4x8-layout
    Cheers!
    Clayton

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, pay attention to street width. It is easy to want to compress it, but in my mind it ruins the whole scene when main street looks like an alley way. Frankly, I wish I would have added about 1/4" more to mine, but I can get away with it as I don't have buildings on the other side of the road to create the tunnel effect. My streets are using Smooth-It from WS...first time using it. My suggestion is to cut a piece of styrene...say .040 so it has some girth..and 12" long, and use it as a template that you can layout and see how you like it. Basically a test piece. Throw a couple buildings up next to it to see how much room you want for sidewalks, etc.

Good luck.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dave!
    Cheers!
    Clayton

Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally at the final stages of building out the processing plant. Now have to figure out how to get "A. Froman" sign on the building. In order to keep the fencing square, you basically need to either afix to the layout or some kind of movable base. Probably end up mocking up a piece of MDF and scenic around it. Buildings and fencing need some weathering. There is a secondary track that leads to the loading dock that I never planned for. I think that track is going to run off the back off the layout as a dead track.

33. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,296 Times in 2,997 Posts
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Looks great Dave!
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post: