Thread: Turning off a code

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Turning off a code

Suppose I have a function key, let's say "9" just for grins, programmed to a decoder that turns on the street lights. I press 9 and lo and behold, the lights come on. The question i have before I start setting stuff up, how do I turn the lights off? IF I press "9" again, is it a toggle function (i.e. press 9 on, press 9 off, press 9 on, press 9 off, and so on)?

I'm just PRESUMING that the first press causes a code on the tracks, but does that code continuously repeat, or is it a one-shot, one code burst per press?

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim,
    a couple of things.On a Digitrax system function key are latching or non-latching. F0 is a latching key F2 is a non-latching key, what that means is the function being controlled is on (energized) until the key is pressed again for a latching key.
    A non-latching key only turns on the function while the button is pressed as soon as the key is released the function is turned off. A decoder (sound) will blow horn when F2 is pressed, F0 will turn lights on and will remain on until F0 is pressed again.
    So the answer to turning lights of is to press the function key again (latching key). On a Digitrax system the decoder address is assigned to a slot and is continuously refreshed.

Doug

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 622 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the DCC side (the data flowing on the track) the code is continuously repeated (although most command stations these days prioritize and send emergency stop first, then speed and direction changes, then function changes, and only then do they start repeating unchanged old codes)

On the throttle bus (loconet or whatever) that can be different - afair for loconet, data is only sent when something has changed.

Heiko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 497 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can apparently program a function to be latching or momentary. http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB730/dt...ng-or-non-lat/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, guys, so far no cigars (except for Bill Clinton) I have an MRC supply, not a Digitrax. They say NOTHING about setting it latching or momentary. And even though I bought it a few months ago, evidently it is now an orphan. I'll try MRC customer support, but so far they have been less than helpful with a couple of other questions.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not helpful at this point, but sometimes hearing about different systems can give some insight.

On the Roco Z21 system the operator chooses whether each function is operated by a "switch" (on/off, such as lights or running sounds), or a "pushbutton" (momentary contact, like a horn), or for a set amount of time.

On the switch, one touch turns on and the next touch turns off. The pushbutton sets a programmed sound in motion,such as a station announcement, with no need to hold the button down.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 915 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jweir43 View Post
    Suppose I have a function key, let's say "9" just for grins, programmed to a decoder that turns on the street lights. I press 9 and lo and behold, the lights come on. The question i have before I start setting stuff up, how do I turn the lights off? IF I press "9" again, is it a toggle function (i.e. press 9 on, press 9 off, press 9 on, press 9 off, and so on)?
    My question would be why are you using a mobile decoder for this instead of an accessory decoder?

I'm just PRESUMING that the first press causes a code on the tracks, but does that code continuously repeat, or is it a one-shot, one code burst per press?
    For mobile decoders, the command periodically sends the decoder status information. This is what let’s you take a locomotive off the track and put it back on and keep the headlights on. This status is repeated for every decoder the system is currently controlling. The controller toggles the state. When the system supports latching, the state changes with each press. When the system supports momentary, the state changes once on button press and again either on button release or after a short timer expires.

For accessory decoders, you can effectively think of the commands being one code per press and not repeating ( or at least only repeating a single digit number of times ).
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com