Thread: Red Electric interurbans

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Red Electric interurbans

At the time, electric traction was seen as the way of the future, and in 1912, SP began converting existing steam routes to overhead electrification. Via the Red Electric system, which SP established on rail lines it acquired from the Portland, Eugene and Eastern Railway (PE&E), the company planned to electrify all of its Oregon trackage except for its main line through the valley from Portland to California. The projected growth of the rural areas outside the main population centers of Portland, Salem, Corvallis, Albany and Eugene, however, did not materialize, despite the efforts of real estate promoters. The combination of this lack of growth, World War I and the rise of the automobile meant that the Red Electric system was far smaller than originally intended.
    My dad and I are planning to build the Oregon Eastern - a proposed line during the Harriman era that would have run east from the SP mainline in Eugene to Klamath Falls, Lakeview, and Burns, and finally meet the UP in Ontario. It was only partially completed, with the SP portion from Eugene to Klamath Falls becoming part of the Natron Cutoff that is now the mainline, and the UP portion becoming the Burns branch, which never really went anywhere. (Burns doesn't really count as a somewhere.)

In our alternate history, for whatever reason (maybe Mr Harriman lived a little longer and made them do it), the line was completed from Eugene to Ontario, and operated jointly by the SP and the UP a la the Camas Prairie or the SP&S. (I'm an SP guy and he's a UP guy.) Since I also have an interest in Nn3, the Nevada-California-Oregon was completed, connecting Reno to Prairie City and the Sumpter Valley Railway, and interchanging with the Oregon Eastern in Lakeview.

Anyway, the quote and the picture above should show what my plan is. Mountain grades and electric traction went together like bread and butter in the 20s, so it's pretty obvious to me that the Oregon Eastern would have been electrified and operated by the Red Electric. I've already mocked up some freight motors I want to make:
    (Kato JNR ED16)

(Kato JNR EF57)

However, I have no idea how to make the classic red interurbans:

My best idea right now would be to use one of the power chassis that Tomytech offers and 3d print a shell for it with Shapeways, but that's a lot of work, especially since I don't know the first thing about CAD for 3d printing. I also thought about using WOT Harriman coaches, replace the ends and add a power chassis and pantographs, and call it close enough. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Any existing models I could kitbash?
    "The curious but intense pleasure that is given to many people by the watching and the study of railway trains, their engines, and the detail of their organization is both an art and a mystery. It is an art because the pleasure to be had is exactly proportionate to the informed enthusiasm one puts into it. It is a mystery because, try as one will, it is impossible to explain to others exactly in what the pleasure consists."
    - Roger Lloyd

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nerva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 785 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea - looking forward to updates.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 197 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miniatures by Eric made a shell of a Portland box motor and a car that was called a Portland Twelve on the Pacific Electric. I have one....one of the big 72 passenger cars has yet to be modeled...they were called blimps by the PE...
    Modeling the Pacific Electric Playa Desnuda Branch in N Scale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 197 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modeling the Pacific Electric Playa Desnuda Branch in N Scale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 785 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may want to look at the following
    N Sale Interurban Blog (also Shapeways designer)
    http://interurbanmodels.blogspot.com
    N Scale Traction Page
    http://www.teamsavage.com/ncat/
    eastpenn.org
    https://www.japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/eastpenn.html

Thanks
    Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have any ideas for the interurban, but as a guy interested in the Oregon Trunk, I'm looking forward to your Oregon Eastern ideas.