Thread: Gauntlet Track

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gauntlet Track

While reviewing this thread, I decided that it might be worthwhile to look at a related topic, gauntlet track. Gauntlet track was widely used for older scale tracks as was noted before, to keep the weight of locomotives off of the sensitive live scale tracks. It was also used for other purposes where it was helpful to move things slightly to the side for different purposes.

Another application was when there was a turnout on a bridge, but it was desired to move the switch throw off of the bridge. An example is in this Google maps view: https://goo.gl/maps/H2vWvQsEFYzYzz1z6 This is a bridge in Greensboro, NC just west of the passenger station. You can see that the gauntlet section extended from the main part of the turnout across the bridge onto firm ground, where there was better room and access to the throw mechanism.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim R For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The PRR installed gauntlet track on the double track main from Pittsburgh to Columbus at tunnel number 5 Gould Tunnel in 1951. They did this due to freight car size increasing and to take advantage of the taller clearance at the center of the tunnel. Penn Central finally removed the gauntlet in 1975 and single tracked the tunnel.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That turn out is fascinating.
    --
    Leo Bicknell

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a photo in John Armstrong's "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" of a gauntlet track on a single-track bridge used by two competing railroads.

Of course, you can't have trains running willy-nilly in that sort of situation, so I wonder if some sort of manual or automatic interlocking was used, or train order if TT/TO was in use.

Oh, and go 'Canes! What a Bunch of Jerks! What a great OT win Wednesday night vs. the Capitals!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as an aside, anytime I have read about this particular track arrangement, it was always referred to as "gantlet", not "gauntlet". I think it was the old railroaders who called it "gantlet"

Doug
    Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
    www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,087 Times in 3,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought it was correctly termed "gantlet" track and that "gauntlet" was substituting a less-jargony common word, but from a quick bit of research it appears the two terms are used interchangeably. But since I'm the type of person who likes to use railroad-specific jargon with a smug look on my face, in my book it's "Gantlet".

I love the use of this for a turnout on a bridge! Makes me want to find a place to do something like this on my layout. In fact, my Boyce Junction N-Trak module actually has the throwbar of a Peco turnout located on a bridge... Hmm. But would I want to change out that reliable Peco for some form of custom turnout that might be prone to derailments?

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 679 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaunlet track was always signalled, occasionally with "smash boards" that would give positive indication:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_track
    https://www.jonroma.net/signaling/ra...e%20B%26LE.pdf

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the track chart for the gauntlet track at tunnel number 5 for the PRR. It is on page 9. It's protected by position light signals on each side.

http://www.multimodalways.org/docs/r...0TC%201950.pdf

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bman For This Useful Post: