Thread: Union Pacific Prototype Locomotive Photos vol 12: Ten Wheelers?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Union Pacific Prototype Locomotive Photos vol 12: Ten Wheelers?

Does anyone here have a copy of this book published by the UP Historical Society, with photos from the Ehernberger collection?

I am trying to model UP 4-6-0 #1585 circa WWII in N scale, and have only been able to find two images from the engineers side of the loco (one of which was included in Ehernberger and Gsehwind's "Union Pacific Steam: The Northwestern District") and nothing from the fireman's side. Vol 12 MIGHT have pics that would be helpful. But, being on a limited budget, I would rather not purchase the book if it doesn't have any new (to me) images. (not that I wouldn't mind having copies of ALL the volumes in my library... but $$$ spent on books mean fewer $$$ spent on models)

Thanks, Dave

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I waded thru ~2000 images of UP steam in two unsearchable web collections yesterday, and found one image (but a good one!) showing the fireman's side of UP #1585 during the time period I am interested in... so finally a success! Unfortunately, seeing that side of the engine will make my conversion all the more difficult... I am starting with a Bachmann 4-6-0, and to be true to prototype, I'd have to grind off (the superstructure is metal) the running boards on the engineer's side and the two single air pumps on the fireman's side (#1585 had a dual pump). Might be a while before I am up to tackling that (not to mention removing much of the valve gear)...

Still... it looks like an interesting series of photo albums that I wouldn't mind having in my collection!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be a stupid suggestion as i don't have a clear mental picture of the bachman model, but can you fill the gaps between the two single pumps to make it look more like a dual? Or is the spacing off too much? Just thinking out loud here
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestion, but the existing pumps are too far apart. I wouldn't hesitate if the shell with details was plastic... but grinding off metal is a bit riskier. I do have a spare shell, and additional shells are still available from Bachmann. So, we'll see...