Thread: The Sommerville Subdivision

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 892 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    Right now , im having mental block on finding a way to get a pocket track in what i consider the Complex property . I have the issue of not want too many tracks going across the joint of the extension and the main layout . They will be separated many times over the build of this . I have a good way of ensuring alignment when they go back together , but im still leary of too many crossings .
    Maybe i just need to set that learyness aside , or just think about it and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow
    How about on the track that goes through the unloading shed, add a turnout right after where the middle track splits from the track that goes through the shed. Where the unloading track makes a gentle curve, make that the diverging leg of a left hand turnout, with the straight leg pointing back towards the main part of the layout. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,176 Times in 2,382 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFan View Post
    How about on the track that goes through the unloading shed, add a turnout right after where the middle track splits from the track that goes through the shed. Where the unloading track makes a gentle curve, make that the diverging leg of a left hand turnout, with the straight leg pointing back towards the main part of the layout. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense.
    The only issue I see with this is that Steve will loose track length with that turnout and loose track length by the length of the loco.
    Then if the loading track (the one next to the elevator) is really full, you would not get the loco back to the pocket track or out of it.
    Of course this can vary.

Maybe reverse the purposed turnout so it's a RH straight or curved and the pocket track points toward the elevator.
    At least then he'd only be loosing the length of the turnout?

Another option that I shot Steve is to not install a pocket track. Have the elevator switcher sit out on the elevator track ladder and not have the grain train and it's power run into the complex.
    They would drop the cars off on the lead of the branch line and then the switcher could grab them and pull them into the complex and do the needed work and return the loaded cars to the lead of the branch line where the road train can pick them.
    It all kind of depends on how he wants things to Op.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,362 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Another option that I shot Steve is to not install a pocket track. Have the elevator switcher sit out on the elevator track ladder and not have the grain train and it's power run into the complex.
    They would drop the cars off on the lead of the branch line and then the switcher could grab them and pull them into the complex and do the needed work and return the loaded cars to the lead of the branch line where the road train can pick them.
    Great idea, and certainly comes under the heading of "Plausible." Bet you could find a self-switched super-elevator or paper mill somewhere that does exactly that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,176 Times in 2,382 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Bet you could find a self-switched super-elevator or paper mill somewhere that does exactly that.
    There all over in Nebraska, and I'm sure they can be found elsewhere.
    Here's a couple and the first one is not a Super Elevator
    This is in Jansen, NE on the old Rock Island (now owned by Uncle Borg to access the power plant at Hallam, NE)
    If you look in the lower left hand view you'll see a chop nosed Geep.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1798...=en&authuser=0

Here's another one at Tamora, NE. It's a bit bigger complex.
    This one is showing two Geeps. Several years ago it had a single ALCo S2 or S4

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8941...=en&authuser=0
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,815 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    This is making a lot of sense to me . It allows me to scatch the itch of having a switcher , it adds options and operating interest i think . Might go this way , the more i think about it the more i like it .
    Nothing is set in stone yet , so i am very open to more suggestions , or opinions on this proposal of operation

Thanks

Steve

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,815 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Update # 2

Well im still working out the track arrangements for the grain complex . I've had help with this from @SOO and @Allen H. with how to work it for OP's . Thanks for the help guys . What they have come up is a way for me to operate it with or without a dedicated switcher . This arrangement also allows for larger grain trains coming out of staging , and only setting out the required amount of cars for the complex .
    I have planned for a gravel road to run along the front edge , all the way to the end of the extension past the silos . This will allow me to have a little area at the end that a fuel truck can come and fuel a switcher , and service trucks if needed .

Ok here is the pics of where I've pinned down some track .

20190521_184830.jpg

20190521_184843.jpg

20190521_184852.jpg

20190521_184925.jpg

20190521_184935.jpg

Well there you have it . As always suggestions , comments and criticisms are welcome .

Steve

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the gravel road up front, Steve. It will be a nice foreground for any pics you take from "railfan" level... and will be a nice buffer for any "whoops"s that might occur, preventing trains from dropping off the edge of the layout.

-Paul

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post: