Thread: The Sommerville Subdivision

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 897 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    Right now , im having mental block on finding a way to get a pocket track in what i consider the Complex property . I have the issue of not want too many tracks going across the joint of the extension and the main layout . They will be separated many times over the build of this . I have a good way of ensuring alignment when they go back together , but im still leary of too many crossings .
    Maybe i just need to set that learyness aside , or just think about it and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow
    How about on the track that goes through the unloading shed, add a turnout right after where the middle track splits from the track that goes through the shed. Where the unloading track makes a gentle curve, make that the diverging leg of a left hand turnout, with the straight leg pointing back towards the main part of the layout. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,352 Times in 2,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFan View Post
    How about on the track that goes through the unloading shed, add a turnout right after where the middle track splits from the track that goes through the shed. Where the unloading track makes a gentle curve, make that the diverging leg of a left hand turnout, with the straight leg pointing back towards the main part of the layout. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense.
    The only issue I see with this is that Steve will loose track length with that turnout and loose track length by the length of the loco.
    Then if the loading track (the one next to the elevator) is really full, you would not get the loco back to the pocket track or out of it.
    Of course this can vary.

Maybe reverse the purposed turnout so it's a RH straight or curved and the pocket track points toward the elevator.
    At least then he'd only be loosing the length of the turnout?

Another option that I shot Steve is to not install a pocket track. Have the elevator switcher sit out on the elevator track ladder and not have the grain train and it's power run into the complex.
    They would drop the cars off on the lead of the branch line and then the switcher could grab them and pull them into the complex and do the needed work and return the loaded cars to the lead of the branch line where the road train can pick them.
    It all kind of depends on how he wants things to Op.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Another option that I shot Steve is to not install a pocket track. Have the elevator switcher sit out on the elevator track ladder and not have the grain train and it's power run into the complex.
    They would drop the cars off on the lead of the branch line and then the switcher could grab them and pull them into the complex and do the needed work and return the loaded cars to the lead of the branch line where the road train can pick them.
    Great idea, and certainly comes under the heading of "Plausible." Bet you could find a self-switched super-elevator or paper mill somewhere that does exactly that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Bet you could find a self-switched super-elevator or paper mill somewhere that does exactly that.
    There all over in Nebraska, and I'm sure they can be found elsewhere.
    Here's a couple and the first one is not a Super Elevator
    This is in Jansen, NE on the old Rock Island (now owned by Uncle Borg to access the power plant at Hallam, NE)
    If you look in the lower left hand view you'll see a chop nosed Geep.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1798...=en&authuser=0

Here's another one at Tamora, NE. It's a bit bigger complex.
    This one is showing two Geeps. Several years ago it had a single ALCo S2 or S4

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8941...=en&authuser=0

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is making a lot of sense to me . It allows me to scatch the itch of having a switcher , it adds options and operating interest i think . Might go this way , the more i think about it the more i like it .
    Nothing is set in stone yet , so i am very open to more suggestions , or opinions on this proposal of operation

Thanks

Steve

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Update # 2

Well im still working out the track arrangements for the grain complex . I've had help with this from @SOO and @Allen H. with how to work it for OP's . Thanks for the help guys . What they have come up is a way for me to operate it with or without a dedicated switcher . This arrangement also allows for larger grain trains coming out of staging , and only setting out the required amount of cars for the complex .
    I have planned for a gravel road to run along the front edge , all the way to the end of the extension past the silos . This will allow me to have a little area at the end that a fuel truck can come and fuel a switcher , and service trucks if needed .

Ok here is the pics of where I've pinned down some track .

20190521_184830.jpg

20190521_184843.jpg

20190521_184852.jpg

20190521_184925.jpg

20190521_184935.jpg

Well there you have it . As always suggestions , comments and criticisms are welcome .

Steve

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the gravel road up front, Steve. It will be a nice foreground for any pics you take from "railfan" level... and will be a nice buffer for any "whoops"s that might occur, preventing trains from dropping off the edge of the layout.

-Paul

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Update # 3

Hi all

My helpful guru @Allen H. and i have been working back and forth on the interior track arrangements .
    This is what Allen drew up for me after i had given him a working knowledge of what i was hoping for and where . He came up with a great idea to have a siding on the diagonal reversing track , for running OP's and switching out the industries . Here is the drawing he made for me . The dark black lines are the new tracks

plan 060119 siding & spurs.jpg

So i took this plan modification and ran with it . Get ready this is going to get pic heavy as i took them from all sorts of angles

20190603_135929.jpg

20190603_135950.jpg

20190603_140000.jpg

20190603_140012.jpg

20190603_140030.jpg

20190603_140043.jpg

20190603_140053.jpg

20190603_140153.jpg

You can see the place holder post it notes showing what will be where or what im thinking of .

As always comments , advice , criticism , questions welcome

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh and a PS , the engine house is undecided . I have 4 different ones on hand . Ranging from single track to triple track . So i will decide on which one i use later

Steve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get ready this is going to get pic heavy as i took them from all sorts of angles
    Moose will be VERY happy!! (Me too) I don't like to see Moose's stampedes.

What they have come up is a way for me to operate it with or without a dedicated switcher . This arrangement also allows for larger grain trains coming out of staging
    My only suggestion I will put forth, not sure if is doable or not with your curves, but, something to maybe play with....
    I like that you can have a long train come in and drop off and run out to the man. My suggestion is just a small movement on where that is at. I don't think you really need as much lead up the complex, and with the repositioned point, you can get an even larger train in there without fouling the main....

(see pic for what I mean)

Sommerville complex Edit.jpg

(Yes, lots of words to explain what the pic does better)

*just a thought*
    OK, I'll admit it, I suffer from ADOSS.
    {Attention Defic... Oooo, Something Shiny!}
    Safety First, Safety Always.
    ​DG&H MRRinN

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DG&H MRRinN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DG&H MRRinN View Post
    My suggestion is just a small movement on where that is at. I don't think you really need as much lead up the complex, and with the repositioned point, you can get an even larger train in there without fouling the main....
    You know , i thought about the same thing yesterday . I repositioned the curve at the end of the main table and gained a extra 5" of lenght on that siding . Its not much , but it is 1 more car of lenght . Its not quite as far back as your drawing , but it is as far back as i could make it . I use Peco 80 track , so im limited to the radius of the curved turnouts .
    I would post up a pic , but all you would see is the cork pinned down while the glue dries . But to avoid a Moose stampede , im sure i can post up pics tomorrow of the change

Steve

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with the repositioned point, you can get an even larger train in there without fouling the main....
    I think you're on to something there. ...

But to avoid a Moose stampede , im sure i can post up pics tomorrow of the change
    Ahh, but now you've tipped him off, and the clock is ticking, synced with his impatiently tapping hoof.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like that you can have a long train come in and drop off and run out to the man. My suggestion is just a small movement on where that is at. I don't think you really need as much lead up the complex, and with the repositioned point, you can get an even larger train in there without fouling the main....

(see pic for what I mean)

Sommerville complex Edit.jpg

*just a thought*
    You know , i thought about the same thing yesterday . I repositioned the curve at the end of the main table and gained a extra 5" of lenght on that siding . Its not much , but it is 1 more car of lenght .

Steve

Forgive me, but I'd like to interject something if I may?
    I'm not saying that either proposed solution is bad or better than the other.
    I get having more space for more cars or even a bigger train, but....look at it this way from an operational point of view.
    Yes, you could move the turnout back to get more cars in the siding.
    Having a shorter siding also means more moves which equals more operations and interest and more...........FUN!

A friend once told me that railroads are in a sense, lazy. They want to do the most work in the least amount of time or make things easier.
    In some cases this isn't possible and they have to deal the cards that was dealt to them.

Look at it this way, if you can only fit 5 cars on that siding, and the grain train has 9 cars to drop off, then the grain train drops those 5 cars on to the siding and the elevator switcher then grabs those 5 cars and pulls them down the lead just out of the way, then the grain train can shove the last 4 cars into the siding and leaves town. The switcher then grabs the last 4 cars and pulls ALL the cars to the elevator.

Or you do have that second siding that can be used for the extra 4 cars. This means a little more work for the elevator switcher?

Thus you still have more cars going to the elevator but instead of doing it in one step you do it in two steps.
    It just adds to the operations and increases the play time and it adds a little bit of interest.

One may ask "Why didn't the railroad just rebuild the tracks to increase the capacity?"
    Well say the elevator was just a small elevator to start with. Over the years, business grew and they had to increase the holding capacity so they built it up and built it up to keep up with the demand.
    But they don't own the tracks and the RR didn't want to shell out the $ to rebuild the tracks or maybe they couldn't physically due to a creek, or housing or business. So they have to make due with what they have.

Either tons of money is thrown at the project or they just make two setouts instead of one?

Just trying to think outside the box here.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well i also did the track move cause it gave me 4 more inches in the the engine service area . It had been bothering me for awhile . Like i said it didnt significantly add much space to the siding , just 5"
    So i will be keeping with how Allen and i have been talking about OP's for the elevator

Steve

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend once told me that railroads are in a sense, lazy.
    Actually, it's railroaders!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Actually, it's railroaders!
    OK, OK I was trying to be nice and not point fingers...

Speaking of lazy, why are you not at work yourself paul?
    Out cavorting with the Moose?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, OK I was trying to be nice and not point fingers...

Speaking of lazy, why are you not at work yourself paul?
    Out cavorting with the Moose?
    Taking a wee break here at my defect detector in Edmonds.

Also, the City of Edmonds was supposed to have cutover a wayside horn system today. We provide hi-lo inputs to it. Nothing cut over yet. ...

Moose? Moose? I haven't seen @Moose2013, and I have pictures to prove it!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just catching up on stuff.. This looks like a fun operationally, I also wanted to say "hi!" from just up north of you in Nanaimo

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grumbeast View Post
    Just catching up on stuff.. This looks like a fun operationally, I also wanted to say "hi!" from just up north of you in Nanaimo
    Welcome to my build thread grumbeast
    Maybe when track gets laid down and the bugs worked out , you can come down and run it with me . I only know of 3 other people on the Island here who are into N scale . You make 4 now . We N scalers got to stick together lol

Steve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As promised the pic of the reworked curve
    The cork is sanded and ready for paint , thats the next step

20190605_132132.jpg

Steve

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post: