Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving up on Atlas sectional and going to Kato for the Scenic Ridge

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the encouragement. I think the quality of modeling on this site is a bit intimidating. This is not a complaint but a compliment.
    I am having a lot of fun doing this (except My ability to lay Atlas track) and I make it a point to spend at the least an hour or more building.
    I started this journey about 2 months ago and I still have not run a train I am going to set up a simple circle and run a train around.
    I look forward to the helpful suggestions of this group

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marksomebody For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,544 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marksomebody View Post
    I started this journey about 2 months ago and I still have not run a train
    Between planning and building my latest layout , i haven't run a train in 8 or 9 months . And I'm most likely a month away from having a loop of track down that i can run on .
    Point is , its not a race . Take your time and try do do everything to the best of your ability . Track work is the most important part , sloppy or bad track work will frustrate you to no end . Take your time , and everything will be good

Steve

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,354 Times in 3,673 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marksomebody View Post
    I think the quality of modeling on this site is a bit intimidating.
    Our hope is that it is inspirational, rather. One thing to take note of is that there are many ways to achieve the results that get posted, and often the very point of sharing the post is to spark discussion about some new method or technique that can be shown to be effective because of the quality of the results. Occasionally we share the methods that maybe didn't work out as well as hoped. My point is, don't look at it as posting standards to which one must adhere in order to qualify as a modeler. So much of this hobby is wide open to innovation and doing things your own way!

Also, there are many aspects to the hobby where one may find a special affinity. For me, scenery (and especially landforms) is my forte, and I also really enjoy kit bashing buildings and rolling stock. Others may really get into the electronics or control aspects; still others crave prototypical operations; and some even truly enjoy ballasting track (I will admit that I don't hate it). I guess I should say that my truest passion is for layout design; as a teen I filled up stacks and stacks of graph paper with layout plans for fictional situations, and that activity led me to my chosen profession, architecture. For me, I could look at some of the posts concerning JMRI interfaces, for instance, as being intimidating, but that's just not an aspect of the hobby that I really care too much about. Others can enjoy that - I don't have to.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 795 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...But it's also important to find balance. Some obsess over their track plan for years and never lay a section. Planning and taking your time can be overdone as well.

I started out with a Kato kit that was basically a big loop. I didn't even have a power pack at first....I used a couple of lantern batteries wired in series to make 12V and just ran an engine around on my kitchen island at first. Running trains keeps one interested and moving forward. Too much work that doesn't involve running trains can drive a person away from the hobby.

As you plan and move forward with your track plan, try to at least have a basic loop in place so that there's always that option to run a train at the end of the evening's work session. Some times that's all I do...run trains in a loop for an hour or two, it relaxes me. Other times I'm a flurry of activity...but unless something's drying or some other reason prevents me from doing so, there's always a train to run at some point.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,598 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-LineSoo View Post
    Too much work that doesn't involve running trains can drive a person away from the hobby
    Yep, ain't that the truth.
    Paul Schmidt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    I think your getting some good advice from P-LineSoo .
    Not everything has to exist in real life , you can make up as much stuff as you like

Steve
    Tell my wife that !